Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Departures

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Departures

The AFL website is reporting that Rhyce Shaw has accepted an assistant coaching position at North Melbourne and that Gary Rohan is "open" to returning home to Melbourne with Geelong and North apparently showing interest.

Disappointing but of course understandable to see Rhyce Shaw go back to Melbourne (given the strong influence he has had around the club), but if he continues to progress as he has been, wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top job one day in the future.

As for Gaz - the eternal divided opinions are likely to follow. But if we can get an ok return for him, I'd take it. A fresh start might be great for him, and we might be able to use what we get in return towards fulfilling our broader needs. While Geelong looks an obvious one given his history down there, they aren't going to have a lot at the trade table surely to offer - not that he is probably worth a great deal of currency.
    Last edited by mcs; 11th September 2018 at 04:07 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Hannebery has now also 'officially' requested a trade...Times are a changing at the Swans....

And IMO the head coach need to change his tactics and evolve with a new group...Or go the way of these others.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Buckle up

Veterans List
    Hanners will get done quickly to get cap relief, we'll take unders for that reason.

Rohan will get done for a third rounder or a swap of 3rd for 4th.

Rhyce Shaw I'm sad about, developed into a quality person and highly rated. Might be going elsewhere to broaden horizons before returning?

Rohan currency won't be high because he couldn't get a game in the 7th best side behind youngsters like ronke and mccartin.
    A 3rd rounder at best.

If he'd been playing seniors, maybe a 2nd rounder.

I hope that he does well wherever he goes. He has the talent, and Sydney is about the worst side to play 2nd or 3rd forward at

Departures? Seems like more of an exodus.

Strange as we haven't really had to suffer stars leaving voluntarily for a long time.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Departures? Seems like more of an exodus
    One player and an assistant coach an exodus? About 8 blokes have re-signed this year
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Rhyce Shaw I'm sad about, developed into a quality person and highly rated. Might be going elsewhere to broaden horizons before returning?
    Me too.....and I have the same hopes for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    One player and an assistant coach an exodus? About 8 blokes have re-signed this year
    2 players & a coach

Veterans List
    Sad about Dan too but realise it's best for him and us, if that's what he really wants. I hope it's a win/win.....but mainly for us.

I realize I might get killed for this, but with Hanneberry it is addition by subtraction. Loved the way he plays but his body is breaking down. I think some may be "underwhelmed" by what the Swans get in return, but it is really about saving the dollars. No doubt he is going to St. Kilda...not exactly a team that is ready to set the world on fire. I wonder if he is hoping to move up in the coaching ranks there and will feel less pressure to perform at the same level...

As for Rohan, I am more in the pro-Gary camp. But his personal situation will really force the Swans to deal him, even if the return is poor. The Swans are in a no-win situation in that they really must accommodate Rohan in the public eye. But, that can also be a positive. One of the things I believe sets the Swans apart is they treat their players with superb loyalty (see Alex Johnson). Players do talk to one another and they do like playing for teams where they feel like family...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast