Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NEAFL Grand Final

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, it was probably a reasonable decision, if true. But I would like to hear it from a more reliable source, than a Courier-Mail journalist. And in the final quarter, the Swans players seemed to be acting like they thought they were in front. The way that Rose's goal was celebrated, probably wouldn't have occurred, if they thought they were sixty points down.
    Regardless of the decision, I found it extremely weird that they kept playing on without one being made. Surely the decision has an impact on how the game is played out.

I would like to thank Ugg for all the great pre-game stats and game info and also Liz for starting the NEAFL page originally. I am disappointed with the way the Swans actually downplay the NEAFL team both from their website, update on injuries and weekly team news. Particularly if you look at the page for the Rookies, its scandalous really. But moving on, again thanks Ugg and Liz for your passion

It really is time we had a VFL team or AFL ressies comp. The benefit would be huge. A TAC team for the academy boys would be a huge bonus as well. You can train and learn new skills all you want but unless you have the opportunity to put them into practice regularly at the top level you will always come up short. And before anyone says it I know it would cost lots of money.
    Last edited by aardvark; 16th September 2018 at 06:33 PM.

Yes, it was probably a reasonable decision, if true. But I would like to hear it from a more reliable source, than a Courier-Mail journalist. And in the final quarter, the Swans players seemed to be acting like they thought they were in front. The way that Rose's goal was celebrated, probably wouldn't have occurred, if they thought they were sixty points down.
    Coaches might have known about the decision, players might not

Regular in the Side
    Commentators did not know the decision either.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    It really is time we had a VLF team or AFL ressies comp. The benefit would be huge. A TAC team for the academy boys would be a huge bonus as well. You can train and learn new skills all you want but unless you have the opportunity to put them into practice regularly at the top level you will always come up short. And before anyone says it I know it would cost lots of money.
    If I remember rightly, I think that the Northern academies will be fielding TAC sides next year. Don't quote me on it, though. But I would like to see us stick with the NEAFL. It seems to be building into a stronger competition and I think that the AFL sides and their academies can play a strong role in strengthening it further. Maybe a few rule and administration changes, though?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Just to focus on the game, rather than the controversy, I don't think the Swans played as poorly as the score would suggest. In the midfield the young Swans matched Southport pretty well in the first half, and still weren't awful in the second half. The big difference was that the Swans had no forward line to speak of (oh for a Amartey, McCartin or even a Pink - all players who we might have expected to feature prominently up forward in the NEAFL side this year. Maybe even a Sinclair or a Tippett). And the Southport defence played extremely well.

So while our boys were soundly beaten, it was by experience, skill and size, rather than by effort. Can't fault the way the academy boys kept putting their bodies on the line.

Rose was clearly very good, our best by far. O'Riordan and Maibaum were pretty good offensively, but the defence did look a bit disorganised at times and as leaders in that part of the ground, some of that must fall on them.

Dawson and Cameron have played more dominant games but both had their moments. Clearly Southport had identified Cameron as the number one player to contain and, credit to them, they did it very well. He still battled hard, but I think it illustrates how big the gap is between him dominating at NEAFL level and stepping up to contribute at AFL level.

Brown was a bit quieter than he has been in recent weeks up to the point he exited the game. Bell seemed to struggle to get into the game, or certainly to get the ball running or bouncing his way. On the other hand, I thought it was one of the better games I've seen from him in terms of work rate without the ball, especially in the second half. He chased and tackled pretty well, and kept trying to get into the game the other way.

Stoddart had some moments but looked tired in the second half, and didn't always stick his tackles. He still has a way to go physically (obviously). And Styles was fairly anonymous through the game.

Of the academy players, I liked Ellem, particularly considering he's still an U17 and conditioning wise, has some way to go. A couple of the other U17 guys (I think there were at least 4 of them out there today) also showed some promising signs. Reinhart was good, especially early, while Stern and Stewart didn't let themselves down either. I wonder if Stern, in particular, has the scope to become a small defender. He has the pace and tenacity.
    Very good review of the game.

Generally speaking, a lot of the toppies just couldn't compete one on one with Southport, who looked a well drilled team with a solid list of players. Shumack and McKellar were terrible and probably cost us a half dozen goals alone.

Southport didn't give Rose and Dawson any space to operate. Rose did a fantastic job and showed some x-factor skills. I would be very disappointed if he didn't get another contract. Dawson had more trouble getting free, but his marking and goal kicking are very good.

In the context of the game, I was very pleased with the way Stoddart played. As a first year player he shows most of the signs of progressing to an AFL level game. He often found himself with the ball, under pressure, and no one around to lend support.

I've been struggling all year to pick out an academy player who deserves a rookie listing. Another year at the academy should help a few. Looking at the year as a whole, I think I'd put Stern at the top of the list of candidates. You could be right about using him as a small defender.

Having watched this NEAFL game i am concerned what we are doing with the academy and developing players. Granted it was a difficult day with the conditions, there was little evidence that we have some rising stars in the making. I would suggest none of our academy kids playing today have the ability to be drafted. The two we rookied from last year are just players at NEAFL level. For all of the money invested we should expect a better return in terms of potential players from our academy.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Regardless of the decision, I found it extremely weird that they kept playing on without one being made. Surely the decision has an impact on how the game is played out.
    Of course, having had the controversy, it's probably time to turf the all points docked rule. It seems a particularly harsh and officious penalty, for what is usually a minor and temporary breach.

If I remember rightly, I think that the Northern academies will be fielding TAC sides next year. Don't quote me on it, though. But I would like to see us stick with the NEAFL. It seems to be building into a stronger competition and I think that the AFL sides and their academies can play a strong role in strengthening it further. Maybe a few rule and administration changes, though?
    Don’t mind being in the NEAFL. Don’t like the restrictions. Given our lists don’t allow us to field a full side of listed players and many of our bottom end listed players are young, under developed and speculative they don’t offer much of an advantage; add to that injuries during the season further reduces our listed players at any time, I don’t think we necessarily have that much of an advantage- especially against the better non-AFL sides. Just my opinion after another shattering loss (I’m a bit over them ATM).

If by chance Rose does get another crack at AFL level I'd like to see him in the midfield and not tucked away in the forward pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    It really is time we had a VFL team or AFL ressies comp. The benefit would be huge. A TAC team for the academy boys would be a huge bonus as well. You can train and learn new skills all you want but unless you have the opportunity to put them into practice regularly at the top level you will always come up short. And before anyone says it I know it would cost lots of money.
    I believe there are plans of implementing an AFL reserves comp. I remember reading an article on it several months ago. It certainly needs to be done because the northern states are severely disadvantaged.