Many of us footy fans have bemoaned the league's constant tinkering with the rules of our game over recent years to solve perceived problems or problems which just aren't there. Now we are set to witness another set of rule changes based on what the AFL, or more accurately, AFL 'football operations manager' Steven Hocking claims is 'extensive research'......here's what three journo's thinks of the extent of this 'research'.

AFL rule changes: how the AFL got its numbers wrong in an attempt to justify proposed new laws - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) ......It's an eye opener.

What's your take on all this.....the 'state of the game', the proposed rule changes, the actual need for change and the league's attitude to the 'laws of the game'. Are they too 'proactive'? Or does more need to be done? Or should the AFL just let the game evolve naturally and stop trying to influence and shape the game's 'look'?

It frustrates me that they see and worry about things that maybe the fans don't even care about, that a certain coach can have coffee with the league CEO to talk 'rules', that the league thinks three 'trial' games between the four weakest VFL teams is deemed enough 'research' to make fairly major changes to aspects of the main game, that the league even has a 'rules committee'! It mere existence gives rise to temptation to make changes for changes sake.....to make changes based on kneejerk reactions or after a twitter 'outrage storm'.

Do you indeed think the game is in a bad state.....that it needs changing at all? If so, is the league going about it the right way?

I'll tell you now, without going into a rant about the 'state of the league's leadership', that it's frustrating the crap out of me! How do you feel about it and what changes, if any, do you think the game itself needs to become better.......