Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The AFL - a national competition? (split thread)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Thanks Di - what about the arrogance of McGuire?
    Can't beat McGuire for arrogance - he has a medal for it.

I don't agree with the best of three GF. Asking too much of the players.

But I do like Tom Harley's idea that the ground should be reconfigured to the same dimensions as the leading club. The closest we'll get to fair for the next 30-odd years.

And BF - thanks for the input, but if you want to abbreviate the moniker it's "dim". I'm M, not F!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post

But I do like Tom Harley's idea that the ground should be reconfigured to the same dimensions as the leading club. The closest we'll get to fair for the next 30-odd years.

And BF - thanks for the input, but if you want to abbreviate the moniker it's "dim". I'm M, not F!
    No problem dim, I'm an M as well!

Veterans List
    I don't think I could handle a best of 3 grand final!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I don't think I could handle a best of 3 grand final!
    Don’t think I’d like to go to game 1 watch them lose and then miss game 2 and 3 if they won. Or the hollow feeling if I watched a win in game 1 only to have them lose the next two. Or the cost/ability to attend all 3. No need to American-ise our final system. I know it works for MLB, NBA etc, but IMO we just don’t need it.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    i like the 3 game concept, but it's really just a workaround for the ridiculously long MCG deal of which McGuire was a key player.

- - - Updated - - -

Ironically, if pies win tomorrow, it will move the comp closer to a 3 game gf setup.
    I wouldn't put my house on it. The AFL would still
    - Deny that there is any advantage to MCG tenants.
    - Dismiss the idea that any other ground except MCG for the GF is on the table.
    - Last but not least acknowledge that it is a national competition and not just an extended VFL competition.

Does that make sense?

Since I don't really see the 3 game idea getting up, one thing I'd like, would be if the AFL adopted the cricket system of neutral umpires. That is, if there is a Victorian team playing in the GF at the MCG, then the umpires should come from interstate: in much the same way that overseas umpires officiate in cricket tests played in Australia.
    I'm sure that the powers that be, would come up with many arguments the proposal, but I think that it would mean that the umpires would be less likely to be influenced by Melbourne media fairy tales, hostile crowd pressure, and the more subtle pressure of many of your family, friends and acquaintances, wanting the local Victorian team to win.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Since I don't really see the 3 game idea getting up, one thing I'd like, would be if the AFL adopted the cricket system of neutral umpires. That is, if there is a Victorian team playing in the GF at the MCG, then the umpires should come from interstate: in much the same way that overseas umpires officiate in cricket tests played in Australia.
    I'm sure that the powers that be, would come up with many arguments the proposal, but I think that it would mean that the umpires would be less likely to be influenced by Melbourne media fairy tales, hostile crowd pressure, and the more subtle pressure of many of your family, friends and acquaintances, wanting the local Victorian team to win.
    Valid post but for your proposal to get up, AFL would have to admit to a problem. What are the chances?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Valid post but for your proposal to get up, AFL would have to admit to a problem. What are the chances?
    Hmm, umpires for the GF; Ryan, Rosebury, and you guessed it, Stevic. That they keep on appointing Stevic, suggests that they're a fair way from admitting that there's a problem. Though if it becomes another case of the Victorian side being advantaged on the day, then that should only increase the pressure for change.

I actually think Canberra boy,Razor Ray is the best umpire.

Veterans List
    Yes, I'm disappointed Razor didn't get the gig.....he poops on Stevic.

Senior Player
    Agree. His interaction with players annoys me but I think he is the best decision maker. Surprised he isn't out there today.

Senior Player
    Notice the actual newspaper article in the Age today doesn't include the paragraph mentioning McGuire claimed Collingwood deserved preferential treatment because they beat top ranked Richmond. Inaccuracy or intimidation? McGuire protected species in Melbourne media again?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast