Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The AFL - a national competition? (split thread)

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Nobody is suggesting that an aggressive style of play and demeanour is causing the free kicks against the team.
    Simply, we have 2 choices here
    1. The umpires are biased against the Swans
    2. The team is not careful enough not to give away frees when playing.

As much as people like to think 1, is at play, in reality it isn't.
    To reduce frees being given away, some motions and lazy actions need to be bred out of the team.
    The question is - is it worthwhile and more effort required than the benefits it may bring?
    Does the differential have that much of an impact on the game (generally - take out anomalies like 2016 GF)
    Um, isn't the fact that it does have an impact on the single most important game of the year - the game that's the POINT of the whole damn season - a bit of an issue?
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Um, isn't the fact that it does have an impact on the single most important game of the year - the game that's the POINT of the whole damn season - a bit of an issue?
    Weird.
    One post you're agreeing that long term stats are a representation of a trend.
    Then in the very next post you want to single out one particular game.

So your contention is that the average differential in free kicks is due to umpiring against the Swans?
    And given that the Swans were umpired by many different individual umpires during the season, I guess they are also colluding amongst themselves to target the Swans?

Here's a much more realistic proposition.
    That the team infringes more than most other teams.
    No umpire bias, no conspiracies, no hatred for the Swans.

It should be able to be trained out of the side, like it has in other sides as per the stats in the table posted.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    sorry, didn't really read your post properly and was at cross purposes.

My thinking was that while any individual game is not by itself good evidence of bias, the individual game may still be afflicted by bias and that that still matters.

But that wasn't really relevant to what you were saying. I will read more carefully in the future.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

No problems.

I think everyone here agrees that the 2016 GF was either consciously or subconsciously unfairly umpired for a range of reasons.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    No problems.

I think everyone here agrees that the 2016 GF was either consciously or subconsciously unfairly umpired for a range of reasons.
    .....and all of them are inexcusable.

Resurrecting an old thread (which is a great read by the way if youve got the time), but it looks like West Coast and WA are using the Covid-19 season and hubs as real push-back against the vic bias of an MCG final.
    I hope the other non-victorian teams unite behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread (which is a great read by the way if youve got the time), but it looks like West Coast and WA are using the Covid-19 season and hubs as real push-back against the vic bias of an MCG final.
    I hope the other non-victorian teams unite behind them.
    I'd take it one further and say in the best interests of the AFL season reaching completion, they need to move all Melbourne teams out of Melbourne into hubs spread across Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, GC, Brisbane and Tasmania. Extremely low Covid numbers in all those localities. I'm sure you could convince respective premiers to allow flights between these centres, teams could train properly, scratch matches for all reserves and most importantly, there would also be crowds. If the AFL is truely national, and if it is run in the best interests of the game, then this needs to happen until Melbourne gets back under control. If this doesn't happen at all in 2020, then the Vics should suck it up.

Scotty from marketing has gone quiet on his 'open the borders' sloganeering.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Barry is right on this one and Liz is wrong (is this really me speaking?). In any individual game the raw stats don't tell you a lot about ingrained systemic bias.... but over a long period you WOULD expect it to even out. They haven't got even remotely close to evening out so seems like a lopsided playing field to me.
    I'm in the same boat. I've completely changed my mind. The data absolutely demonstrates that on this occasion at least the mainstream/voice-of-reason Liz appears to simply be wrong and the oft thought of as mad-Barry is right.

Don't make it about me.

Controversial opinion time, but I think there is too many teams, Victorian teams specifically. There is 18 teams, 10 of which are Victorian. 16 teams was the perfect equilibrium in my opinion.

I genuinely think GWS have a serious future in Sydney, but Gold Coast I'm not so sure about.

but surely teams like North Melbourne and St Kilda need to go in order to make it a more nationalised competition.

Personally I'd be down for Carlton to go. I know they have a bigger supporter base but theyve been an absolute shambles for so long.

EDIT: Also I genuinely don't think there is enough talent for 18 teams.
    Last edited by longmile; 26th June 2020 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Controversial opinion time, but I think there is too many teams, Victorian teams specifically. There is 18 teams, 10 of which are Victorian. 16 teams was the perfect equilibrium in my opinion.

I genuinely think GWS have a serious future in Sydney, but Gold Coast I'm not so sure about.

but surely teams like North Melbourne and St Kilda need to go in order to make it a more nationalised competition.

Personally I'd be down for Carlton to go. I know they have a bigger supporter base but theyve been an absolute shambles for so long.
    I don't think its controversial at all with many on here. Like the NRL and Sydney teams, the historical imbalance remains. They had their chance to make it work - 8 interstate and 8 Melbourne teams with GWS/Suns being someone and NorfLol. But AFL had no balls to force the move.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."