Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The AFL - a national competition? (split thread)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    But unsuprising - I know the comment is made in jest, but many yearn for the return of the VFL, and see interstate teams as nothing but an unfortunately necessary evil to support their competition in the home of football. As long as some Melbourne team wins it, they are happy chappies...
    Somehow I can't see the players, coaches & football club administrators yearning for a return to VFL sized paychecks.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Somehow I can't see the players, coaches & football club administrators yearning for a return to VFL sized paychecks.
    Of course not
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its not alarmism, especially at the gold coast level.

How can Gold Coast survive?. Under currrent setup, they would have a 5% survival chance in 5 years.
    They draft young players, Players stay 5-7 years, then just as they are becoming good, they leave with free agency or threat of free agency.
    Therefore, they can never field a finals quality team, as players are still developing. They just get poached by vic clubs.

If they cant play finals, they will never build the support and financial levels to be self sustainable.

The 5% survival chance is only if the AFL intervenes, which means on their own (in the current environment) they are unviable.

Right now, their two captains, and stars (Lynch and May) are likely to be going to 2 prelim finalists next year. This after similar thing happening for past couple of years.
    Gold Coast just need to get their act together from the top down, like every other failing club has done over the years. And unlike Fitzroy and South Melbourne, they will have the backing of the AFL to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Gold Coast just need to get their act together from the top down, like every other failing club has done over the years. And unlike Fitzroy and South Melbourne, they will have the backing of the AFL to do so.
    That's a simplistic ideal.

Swans and lions/bears are the only frontier clubs to have ever dragged themselves out of failure to success, and only by levers (cola, merger, AFL intervention) not available now.

Carlton may be able to drag themselves up. Different market. Suns cannot.

Three years ago, the AFL signed a TV deal worth $2.5 billion. Victoria has a population of approximately 6.4 million people. Queensland has a population of 4.7 million people. Perth has a population of over 1.6 million people. and NSW has a population of over 7.5 million people. Sports make most of their money in broadcasting. That's a lot of Maccas, Toyotas and NAB accounts! So, while I agree the Victoria Bias is real with the officiating, does anyone truly believe that the power's that be and the TV broadcasters who have paid that much money WANT the AFL to fail in non-Victorian states?

Its not alarmism
    It does read that way. 5% chance of survival - what are you basing that on? It is an unprovable, overly dramatic representation of the situation.

The AFL simply won’t let the northern markets die, but it is up to the clubs to find ways of building their team, culture and supporter base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    It does read that way. 5% chance of survival - what are you basing that on? It is an unprovable, overly dramatic representation of the situation.

The AFL simply won’t let the northern markets die, but it is up to the clubs to find ways of building their team, culture and supporter base.

They are letting the northern markets die. Sure, they are not dead yet.
    Suns arent alive, they are in a coma. Prognosis poor. Greedy relatives are already fighting over heirlooms. Doctors thinking of pulling life support.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    Three years ago, the AFL signed a TV deal worth $2.5 billion. Victoria has a population of approximately 6.4 million people. Queensland has a population of 4.7 million people. Perth has a population of over 1.6 million people. and NSW has a population of over 7.5 million people. Sports make most of their money in broadcasting. That's a lot of Maccas, Toyotas and NAB accounts! So, while I agree the Victoria Bias is real with the officiating, does anyone truly believe that the power's that be and the TV broadcasters who have paid that much money WANT the AFL to fail in non-Victorian states?
    On a long term view, it doesnt make sense to ditch northern states.
    In a short term view, it does. TV commentators barack for popular teams. Popular teams poach talent from non-popular. This is what is happening now.

Long term and short term arent compatible.

Gill has been a serious stain on the AFL in his tenure. The VFL centricism is the strongest at the moment than I remember it ever being under Demitrou. I will never forgive the trade ban and the 2016 Premiership.

That's a simplistic ideal.

Swans and lions/bears are the only frontier clubs to have ever dragged themselves out of failure to success, and only by levers (cola, merger, AFL intervention) not available now.

Carlton may be able to drag themselves up. Different market. Suns cannot.
    The Suns will get their levers. Count on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    Barry does.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I doubt if the Queensland government or the Gold Coast council, would be all that chuffed, if it looked like the Suns were going to fold. The chief reason being, that Metricon then becomes essentially a white elephant. It might host an international one day cricket match per year, plus the occasional athletics meet, but apart from that, it will mainly be frequented by maintenance staff. So I suspect that nobody wants to see that situation.

Though one possible alternative, if the Suns do become a basket case, is handing over the license to the Southport Sharks. Which may make sense. They have a long history of fielding successful sides. The Sharks licensed venue, is one of the largest on the coast; with plenty of pokies, that I assume are profitable. And they also recently built an international hotel, as part of the Sharks complex. Plus they already have a large membership base, some which could be converted to AFL club members.
    So, I think that AFL will be on the Gold Coast for a while.

Why would you want University back?
    Would you rather a VFL?
    I didn’t say that at all. Not that you’d necessarily notice. I said I’d rather have University back than GW$. You have every right to endorse the Giants. As I have equal right to not care whether they succeed on or off the field. You’re also welcome to your anti-Victorian sentiment. Mine in an anti-non-Swans sentiment. For me GW$ is now up there with Collingwood and Hawthorn. Since it’s an opinion, it can’t really be argued and it’s futile to bother trying. Don’t like GW$. Don’t care that they’re from Sydney. I have an allegiance to a club, not a city or a State.

All current cities could host a grand final.
    The Elmore football club could host a Grand Final.

Honestly.

Certainly a best of 3 series.
    The biggest impact (downgrade) of movable grand final would be on MCC members.
    The biggest impact (upgrade) of movable grand final would be for fans of teams outside of Melbourne. Thats roughly 20 million people at last count.

But having a "rare" grand final at the MCG would make it bigger than it is now.
    Offset by grounds of smaller capacity. And fans outside of Melbourne have actually been known to fly into Melbourne to attend a Grand Final.

Your opinion it noted though ... many, many times

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    The Suns will get their levers. Count on it.
    You have great at the simplistic one-liners. "Stop the boats" fan I imagine.

I would rather they didnt need special levers which are discretionary. How long do they need to stay at the bottom. 5 years, 10 years, 20 years ?
    Why not create (or go back to) the slightly level playing field. Northern clubs got a retention allowance which enabled them, if well run, to fight off go-home factors. And drop or change this stupid free agency model which is very anti-northern club.

They have tried 3 coaches, multitudes of players. I dont think you can blame culture of club any longer for their predicament. Its AFL's current agenda to drive them to the wall. Words may not say that, actions do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I didn’t say that at all. Not that you’d necessarily notice. I said I’d rather have University back than GW$.
    Ok, explain why you'd want University ?

And if you did, how would you establish a team from scratch. Draft picks? Every team give up a player ?

or was it just a throw away line.?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast