Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The AFL - a national competition? (split thread)

The AFL - a national competition? (split thread)

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I have an allegiance to a club, not a city or a State.
    That is where it starts and ends with me too.

I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with a GF being held elsewhere - and have no problem with someone promoting the idea, but it is the one known quantity in the AFL (good or bad), and people can plan accordingly.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    That is where it starts and ends with me too.

I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with a GF being held elsewhere - and have no problem with someone promoting the idea, but it is the one known quantity in the AFL (good or bad), and people can plan accordingly.
    GF against higher ranked team at club's home ground will always be an unjust embarrassment for a national competition. Embarrassment that just can' t be glossed over.

The AFL - a national competition? (split thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    GF against higher ranked team at club's home ground will always be an unjust embarrassment for a national competition. Embarrassment that just can' t be glossed over.
    I don’t see it that way at all. I’m not an advocate of the higher ranked team getting home field advantage for a GF. I would prefer it was neutral territory, or announced in advance of the season. As things are, the MCG is as close to neutral as you can get without being in a different state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Matty10; 19th September 2018 at 06:54 PM.

I don’t seem it that way at all. I’m not an advocate of the higher ranked team getting home field advantage for a GF. I would prefer it was neutral territory, or announced in advance of the season. As things are, the MCG is as close to neutral as you can get without being in a different state.
    Lets be clear, the MCG is not neutral. In fact, in very few world sports is there a ground that is neutral.
    Its simply uneconomical to keep a ground as neutral.

I sometimes wonder whether I am being punked when I engage in debate on these forums. Either that or I am just conversing with unrelenting ideologues.

Senior Player
    I sometimes wonder whether I am being punked when I engage in debate on these forums. Either that or I am just conversing with unrelenting ideologues.
    Not dealing with ideology but integrity. People are allowed to feel strongly about certain issues and stick strongly to what they believe in. Not about you personally.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think it's reasonable to say it's not neutral, although I appreciate you weren't really it was and just said it's about as close as you can get to neutral.

Is there another sporting competition anyone can think of that is at the same level of professionalism as the AFL, but maintains this level of inequality for the culmination of its season? In 2017 we saw Adelaide;
    • beat their eventual opponent in their one match up in the regular season
    • finish the season on top of the ladder
    • not lose in the finals (QF/PF) at all to win their way to the big game

yet find themselves having to travel interstate to play their opponent on their opponent's home ground. It was the 4th time Adelaide had played there that year (which is more than other interstate teams had), yet it was the 14th time their opponent had. That is not a fair system, and not a neutral ground at all under those circumstances (and Adelaide earnt, at a minimum, a neutral ground).

Richmond had 14 regular season games at the MCG this year- if we end up with a Richmond vs. West Coast Grand Final then the Tigers will be playing their 31st game at the ground over the past 2 seasons and the Eagles with be playing just their 5th. Richmond is deserving of an advantage this year, but imagine if it was an Adelaide style scenario and the Eagles were the ones deserving of an advantage but that's what the competition locked them in to?

I love tradition in footy, and I enjoy the Grand Final being at the MCG as a general spectacle- but it's not a fair system in a national competition.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Compare the talk of Lynch joining Richmond, possibly after winning back to back GF's , and that of Tippett joining after the Swans 2012 GF success.

Oranges and Apples.

And then Buddy....! The world was ending.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I think it's reasonable to say it's not neutral, although I appreciate you weren't really it was and just said it's about as close as you can get to neutral.

Is there another sporting competition anyone can think of that is at the same level of professionalism as the AFL, but maintains this level of inequality for the culmination of its season? In 2017 we saw Adelaide;
    • beat their eventual opponent in their one match up in the regular season
    • finish the season on top of the ladder
    • not lose in the finals (QF/PF) at all to win their way to the big game

yet find themselves having to travel interstate to play their opponent on their opponent's home ground. It was the 4th time Adelaide had played there that year (which is more than other interstate teams had), yet it was the 14th time their opponent had. That is not a fair system, and not a neutral ground at all under those circumstances (and Adelaide earnt, at a minimum, a neutral ground).

Richmond had 14 regular season games at the MCG this year- if we end up with a Richmond vs. West Coast Grand Final then the Tigers will be playing their 31st game at the ground over the past 2 seasons and the Eagles with be playing just their 5th. Richmond is deserving of an advantage this year, but imagine if it was an Adelaide style scenario and the Eagles were the ones deserving of an advantage but that's what the competition locked them in to?

I love tradition in footy, and I enjoy the Grand Final being at the MCG as a general spectacle- but it's not a fair system in a national competition.
    West Coast finished higher than Hawthorn in 2015. Eagles beat Hawthorn in Perth and then won Prelim v Dockers(I think) two weeks later. Hawthorn won their way into GF and got to play on home ground where they won the flag. Same scenario brewing this year with Eagles and Collingwood. Inarguably farcical and just wrong. Only major comp in world where this occurs. Everywhere else this would be quickly rectified. Here we lock the injustice in for the next 40 years.

When I'm CEO of the AFL, there will be 2 teams added (Canberra and Tasmania) so we end up with 20 teams.

They will be divided into two leagues of 10, with the 10 victorian teams in one league and the 10 national teams in the other. They will play against each other from their own league (twice) in the H&A season to get to a top four, then you would have the finals series with the 8 top sides playing against each other 1v2, 2v1, 3v4, 4v3 to find the premier in the current knockout format.

This is all a precursor to ten years later when I break the two leagues into the VFL and the AFL so the Victorians can sit in a tight circle within the MCG and liveout the circle jerk that is the state of the current "national" competition. Hopefully becoming a second tier to the true national competition that is devoid of their participation (or let in two Melbourne teams following the model of every other capital).
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

The AFL draw is also a flawed way of determining who is the best ranked team. It is what we have, but I don’t see the need to provide special benefits to the team that finishes first (beyond what they already get).

The NFL has a system where the Super Bowl is played in a city that is selected in advance of the season commencing. I like the system, but no team has made the Super Bowl when their home stadium is the selected venue. It could happen that a lower ranked team has a home field advantage, but it hasn’t happened to this point.

My district had a similar system for football grand finals. Teams did sometimes have home field advantage, but often it was just played at a neutral stadium.

Senior Player
    The AFL draw is also a flawed way of determining who is the best ranked team. It is what we have, but I don’t see the need to provide special benefits to the team that finishes first (beyond what they already get).

The NFL has a system where the Super Bowl is played in a city that is selected in advance of the season commencing. I like the system, but no team has made the Super Bowl when their home stadium is the selected venue. It could happen that a lower ranked team has a home field advantage, but it hasn’t happened to this point.

My district had a similar system for football grand finals. Teams did sometimes have home field advantage, but often it was just played at a neutral stadium.
    Happy with neutral stadium a la NFL system. Meanwhile we are supposed to bite on a @@@@ sandwich for the next 40 years.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast