Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The AFL - a national competition? (split thread)

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Ok, explain why you'd want University ?

And if you did, how would you establish a team from scratch. Draft picks? Every team give up a player ?

or was it just a throw away line.?
    Siiiiiigh I think you miss my point.

I don’t particularly want University. It’s just I really don’t care for GW$. Some people are pro- GW$ because they are another Sydney team. Or because they are “underdogs” (only in that they are a young group who haven’t won a Premiership). I personally don’t see them that way. I see them as a rude bunch of upstarts that regularly disrespect the elder statesmen club that forged their way in a challenging market place. I see a manufactured club that has been gifted too many early picks that they were probably expected to almost guarantee success. I see a club whose success will inevitably be at the expense of MY club.

Some will see this as a good thing for the competition. I personally don’t care too much about the good of the competition. I only care about the success of MY club.

So, you see, it’s not about University. It’s about, I don’t care for GW$.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Pity if GC$ die. Not a pity if GW$ goes the way of the dinosaurs. Rather Fitzroy or even University are resurrected ...

Siiiiiigh I think you miss my point.

I don’t particularly want University
    Clear as mud.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Clear as mud.
    I hate GW$. Simple as that

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    West Coast finished higher than Hawthorn in 2015. Eagles beat Hawthorn in Perth and then won Prelim v Dockers(I think) two weeks later. Hawthorn won their way into GF and got to play on home ground where they won the flag. Same scenario brewing this year with Eagles and Collingwood. Inarguably farcical and just wrong. Only major comp in world where this occurs. Everywhere else this would be quickly rectified. Here we lock the injustice in for the next 40 years.
    Yep. The very real possibility of Collingwood playing in the Grand Final on its home ground against West Coast who finished higher on the ladder is nauseating and especially so when McGuire had the audacity to complain that his precious Pies only had 6 days between their semi final and their prelim.

Is there any other stadium, outside of Victoria, that comes close to the seating capacity of the MCG?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Yep. The very real possibility of Collingwood playing in the Grand Final on its home ground against West Coast who finished higher on the ladder is nauseating and especially so when McGuire had the audacity to complain that his precious Pies only had 6 days between their semi final and their prelim.
    Great example! Collingwood were given the equal most (with Geelong) away games at the MCG at 5 for the year, so played 14 regular season games in total there to West Coast's 2. So the Grand Final would be the 31st time for Collingwood and the 5th time for West Coast to play at that ground over the past 2 years- so mirroring the numbers for 2017, and providing a quick response to use in case anyone ever listens to an example like 2017 and says "Sure, but how often could that happen?".
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    Is there any other stadium, outside of Victoria, that comes close to the seating capacity of the MCG?
    Depends how you define close. IIRC none would get within 20%

No.

MCG 100,000

Optus Perth 60,000
    Docklands Melbourne 56,000
    Adelaide 54,000
    Sydney 48,000
    Gabba Brisbane 42,000
    Kardinia Park Geelong 36,000
    Carrarra Gold Coast 25,000
    Sydney Showground 25,000

(sourced from Wikipedia but look right to me)

Thank for the info...so, as much as I dislike the GF at the MCG every year, it seems they have a compelling argument that it accommodates the most fans attending the game...

Yep.

Veterans List
    What is the make up of the GF crowd? Half of it is corporate packages.

Ditch the big $ packages and every city could accommodate the number of real fans that the MCG does on GF day!

Thank for the info...so, as much as I dislike the GF at the MCG every year, it seems they have a compelling argument that it accommodates the most fans attending the game...
    It doesnt.

Currently at the MCG, a large number of people are repeat attendies, due to the MCG membership, or other vic corporate gig, or they live locally and there team makes a few grand finals in a row, and $300 tickets are a lot cheaper than flying somewhere, accomodation and ticket.

If the grand final moves, there will be far less people who go to multiple grand finals, opening it up to more unique people attending from all around Australia. (The A in AFL).

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast