Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The AFL - a national competition? (split thread)

Goes up to 11
    Does this thread have a point? Or just another outlet for whinging now we're out of the 2018 race?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    Thank for the info...so, as much as I dislike the GF at the MCG every year, it seems they have a compelling argument that it accommodates the most fans attending the game...
    Yes, it is a compelling argument- definitely more people can get in there (and it really is a wonderful ground). The AFL's argument of helping more fans get to the game is a little disingenuous, however, given the distribution of tickets. The forecast split for this year's GF is below- so more than half the crowd will be comprised of MCC Reserve/AFL Members and corporate commitments, it's a nice thing for MCC/AFL members, and is definitely something they would factor in to the total value of their membership, but that is really a concern for those parties managing those memberships (albeit the AFL in one instance).

1.Competing Club Members 16,000 - 40,000
    2. AFL Clubs (18) 0 - 7,000
    3. MCC Reserve 16,000 - 26,000
    4. AFL Members 13,000 - 23,000
    5. AFL/Medallion Club Members 3,000 - 5,000
    6. AFL Entitlements/Contractual Obligation 5,000 - 30,000
    7. Competing Clubs 0 - 5,000
    Total 100,000 (approx)

Thinking of it even as just an occasionally rotating basis- WA is a very strong traditional football state and would mean 40k less attendees on straight capacity- if that 40k came from the MCC/AFL members and the corporates I wouldn't really mind. If the drop in attendance meant the AFL was, say, $10 million worse off then I imagine they can make up some, if not all, of that back by payment from the hosting State Government for the opportunity to host the GF; it's estimated to be about a $50 million tourism injection to Victoria's economy, I imagine most states would like that.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Regular in the Side
    Locking the MCG for forty years was just plain stupid on the part of the AFL and totally political on the part of the Victorian Government who want to win another election. What happens when sometime in the next forty years, Sydney builds a 110,000 seat stadium at say Randwick Racecourse the future home of the Swans and the MCG is looking very, very tired and downtrodden?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Does this thread have a point? Or just another outlet for whinging now we're out of the 2018 race?
    I'm not sure it's exactly whinging, I think general discussion of fairness/equality in the AFL is pretty interesting.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I'm not sure it's exactly whinging, I think general discussion of fairness/equality in the AFL is pretty interesting.
    +1

Also, I would guarantee if they did a survey of attendees home state residence of the last 20 grand finals which have had a good mix of non-vic teams, that they would overwhelmingly be made up of Victorian residents probably around 85%, yet Victorian teams only make up 60% of teams.
    Thats a significant disadvantage for us non-vics. I have followed footy pretty religiously for the best part of 40 years, yet never been to a grand final despite my teams (swans and prior) making it. Whereas there are victorians who have been to 5 or 10+ grand finals in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Yes, it is a compelling argument- definitely more people can get in there (and it really is a wonderful ground). The AFL's argument of helping more fans get to the game is a little disingenuous, however, given the distribution of tickets. The forecast split for this year's GF is below- so more than half the crowd will be comprised of MCC Reserve/AFL Members and corporate commitments, it's a nice thing for MCC/AFL members, and is definitely something they would factor in to the total value of their membership, but that is really a concern for those parties managing those memberships (albeit the AFL in one instance).

1.Competing Club Members 16,000 - 40,000
    2. AFL Clubs (18) 0 - 7,000
    3. MCC Reserve 16,000 - 26,000
    4. AFL Members 13,000 - 23,000
    5. AFL/Medallion Club Members 3,000 - 5,000
    6. AFL Entitlements/Contractual Obligation 5,000 - 30,000
    7. Competing Clubs 0 - 5,000
    Total 100,000 (approx)

Thinking of it even as just an occasionally rotating basis- WA is a very strong traditional football state and would mean 40k less attendees on straight capacity- if that 40k came from the MCC/AFL members and the corporates I wouldn't really mind. If the drop in attendance meant the AFL was, say, $10 million worse off then I imagine they can make up some, if not all, of that back by payment from the hosting State Government for the opportunity to host the GF; it's estimated to be about a $50 million tourism injection to Victoria's economy, I imagine most states would like that.
    Why would anyone outlay the cost for a MCC, medallion club or AFL membership outside of Victoria? Its a complete waist of money. So approx 50,000 memberships are solely Victorian driven for the GF.

It’s Like I’ve said here previously I’ve virtually walked away from AFL n follow my local side we won a premiership n couldn’t be happier. I still have a massive soft spots for Sydney n watch if I’m not busy. But I’m not prepared to outlay the large amount of money to follow a competition that is skewed in favour of Melbourne based clubs. And listening to the commentary last week just showed me I made the right decision.

Another example is the hypocrisy of the media. E.g if Sydney were there still playing in the finals the outrage over getting Blakey would be palpable but there’s not one mention of Collingwood being able to obtain Quaynor or Richmond getting Lynch.

Just give it time the outrage will be on Brisbane. It won’t be a bulldogs, Richmond, Melbourne fairytale it’ll be an academy outrage. And “let’s rip it apart”

Warming the Bench
    Living in Melbourne it's all very Melbourne centric in the media. Most fans down here are only interested in their club and wouldn't have a clue what's going on at others. I know some Collingwood supporters who thought Jesse White was a gun player when he went to the pies. They changed their mind fairly quickly after a few games. There's a fair bit of PR waffle about Dan Hannebery now. I wonder if saints fans think they've got a gun player - just wait till he plays in 2019 like he did this year.

The ch 7 commentators are one-sided when a Melb club is playing an interstate club. It's all about us v them and tv ratings. Sometimes I think the old boys club would like nothing more than the top 8 clubs all being from Melbourne and the interstate clubs just making up the numbers - 'the right order of things - old boy'. However, for the AFL to be a truly national competition clubs from NSW, Qld, SA and WA need to have sustained success or they will disappear. Clubs from NSW and QLD are more vulnerable as we've seen with the Suns and the Lions. I have to agree with Barrys original point that we're vulnerable too. The AFL have a problem on their hands with the QLD clubs - they will have to prop them up in some way. If they don't then I suspect the Suns and the Lions will merge. Regarding the NSW clubs - i think we'll be ok. We have enough rusted on fans and sustained success because it's a very well run club. However, GWS are in a worse predicament. They're making finals now so are relevant but the predictions from 2016 of GWS dominating the AFL for the next 5-10 years are not coming to fruition. Many of their high draft pick players are now heading back to Melbourne via free agency - Dylan Shiel the latest rumour.
    Gil might be a dill but he's caught between the VFL old boys club (along with it's Melbourne centric media) and developing a national competition (which requires interstate success).

I would venture to guess that the AFL could care less who buys the tickets to the GF, corporate or otherwise. They just want tickets SOLD. And frankly, if they sell them to corporate sponsors who advertise as "the official sponsor of the AFL", so much the better. Aussie Rules if a sport. The AFL is a PRODUCT. And they understand they won't sell the product to everybody, but they want to sell it to as many customers as possible. As a yank who grew up on American sports, I think it's B.S. that Victorian teams get a home field advantage for every premiership match. But, I understand the AFL's position. The MCG is the biggest venue and when it is full, it LOOKS impressive as hell, even half way around the world. That is the optics the AFL wants.

Gil is like any other commissioner or CEO...they appear to have power. But in the end, it is the owners (or directors), often a cabal of a few of them, who call the shots. When a commissioner goes against ownership interests, they are removed. Do an internet search of Fay Vincent and what happened when he spoke against the wishes of major league baseball.

At the end of the day, of course these folks honor tradition, the fans and the footy world. I assume (like the hockey world I know) that professional Aussie Rules is a small club with a lot of relationships. But at the end of the day, they will do whatever makes them the most money and increases viewership, domestically and globally, every time.

Of topic, I am interested to see over the next few years how the AFLX takes to the overseas markets...

If they just want tickets sold like you say to maximise dollars why are MCC gold members only paying $20 for GF tickets?

And to say they couldn’t care less is the attitude that has got them s.....g themselves over people like me not going to games or watching on tv as much anymore?

It’s a s..t sandwich anyway you want to put it n I ain’t eating it. My dollars predominantly go towards other things now. Foxtel will get reconnected in a few weeks n then cancelled when cricket season ends. Be stuffed if my hard earned money goes towards propping up a bunch of welfare “clubs” in Melbourne.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Why would anyone outlay the cost for a MCC, medallion club or AFL membership outside of Victoria? Its a complete waist of money. So approx 50,000 memberships are solely Victorian driven for the GF.

It’s Like I’ve said here previously I’ve virtually walked away from AFL n follow my local side we won a premiership n couldn’t be happier. I still have a massive soft spots for Sydney n watch if I’m not busy. But I’m not prepared to outlay the large amount of money to follow a competition that is skewed in favour of Melbourne based clubs. And listening to the commentary last week just showed me I made the right decision.

Another example is the hypocrisy of the media. E.g if Sydney were there still playing in the finals the outrage over getting Blakey would be palpable but there’s not one mention of Collingwood being able to obtain Quaynor or Richmond getting Lynch.

Just give it time the outrage will be on Brisbane. It won’t be a bulldogs, Richmond, Melbourne fairytale it’ll be an academy outrage. And “let’s rip it apart”
    Followed South/Swans and footy for close to sixty years. Because of the lack of integrity, especially in regards to Trade ban on us and unfair nature of MCG GF, for the first time in my life, thinking about giving the game away. Probably won't, but the injustices stick in my throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Followed South/Swans and footy for close to sixty years. Because of the lack of integrity, especially in regards to Trade ban on us and unfair nature of MCG GF, for the first time in my life, thinking about giving the game away. Probably won't, but the injustices stick in my throat.
    I lot of people outside victoria feel like that.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast