Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: The AFL - a national competition? (split thread)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    There is definitely something in what Pridham says. I take an interest in Melbourne Storm down here and have found myself switching over more from the AFL to the League games which are on at the same time. There have been some terrible AFL games that are pretty hard to watch and last night's Roosters Storm game was brilliant. Also, I am really over the AFL panel shows where the experts take themselves so seriously as gurus whilst the rugby league equivalent shows are more lighthearted and humorous but still analyse the games quite well. Especially like the Matty Johns podcast which can be pretty basic but they come across as real people, not phonies. Remember that McGuire lasted a very short time in Sydney- they identified him as a dickhead very early on.
    You prompted me to check the score and highlights of that league game last night. Did look like a cracker - when it's at it's best it is quite watchable.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    There is definitely something in what Pridham says. I take an interest in Melbourne Storm down here and have found myself switching over more from the AFL to the League games which are on at the same time. There have been some terrible AFL games that are pretty hard to watch and last night's Roosters Storm game was brilliant. Also, I am really over the AFL panel shows where the experts take themselves so seriously as gurus whilst the rugby league equivalent shows are more lighthearted and humorous but still analyse the games quite well. Especially like the Matty Johns podcast which can be pretty basic but they come across as real people, not phonies. Remember that McGuire lasted a very short time in Sydney- they identified him as a dickhead very early on.
    For some unknown reason I read the recent bio on James Packer (yes, he is a weirdo) and that is time that I'll never get back, and in it
    Packer states that McGuire's job with him basically disappeared when Packer sold the family publishing & broadcast business, and that
    the "Everywhere" aspect of McGuire's personality was a bit frustrating. I agree re the AFL panel shows, they are basically an unwatchable mix
    of sycophancy, pseudo intellectualism and boofheadness. I don't mind Pridham. He doesn't say a lot, unlike McGuire or the GWS bloke who
    can't shut up, but when he does he usually has a good take on things.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    For some unknown reason I read the recent bio on James Packer (yes, he is a weirdo) and that is time that I'll never get back, and in it
    Packer states that McGuire's job with him basically disappeared when Packer sold the family publishing & broadcast business, and that
    the "Everywhere" aspect of McGuire's personality was a bit frustrating. I agree re the AFL panel shows, they are basically an unwatchable mix
    of sycophancy, pseudo intellectualism and boofheadness. I don't mind Pridham. He doesn't say a lot, unlike McGuire or the GWS bloke who
    can't shut up, but when he does he usually has a good take on things.
    Dwayne Russell's sycophancy today was nauseous as it often is. Brown and Lewis brown nosing the AFL's new interpretation of holding the ball with the Hayward decision was embarrassing. Insulting people's intelligence.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516