Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: #Prelim Finals Discussion thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I'm a Melbourne Swans fan and believe the Grand Final belongs at the MCG. It's a Wembley (or Twickenham) type of entitlement earned through history and suitability to the occasion.

POf course, this doesn't mean that I don't recognise a serious Vic-centricity to the league.
    Get yoor sense of history but Wembley and Twickenham are not home ground for any clubs, they are rightly neutral.

I'm a Melbourne Swans fan and believe the Grand Final belongs at the MCG. It's a Wembley (or Twickenham) type of entitlement earned through history and suitability to the occasion.

POf course, this doesn't mean that I don't recognise a serious Vic-centricity to the league.
    No football club plays at Wembley during the year, so It’s not the same.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    No football club plays at Wembley during the year, so It’s not the same.
    Where do Wembley play?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Get yoor sense of history but Wembley and Twickenham are not home ground for any clubs, they are rightly neutral.
    Yes that is true (although I think Harlequins play at Twickenham, could be wrong). I guess I was just pointing out that its a case of using the best stadium available for the biggest games.

Senior Player

I'm a Canberra-based Swans fan, and share the same view.

They could make it less unfair by (1) declaring the MCG a neutral venue and ensuring every team plays the same number of games there and has the same amount of training access. So more games as Etihad for Vic teams (2) Making more GF tickets available to non-Victorians

(3) playing the GF in Canberra at a national stadium built solely for that occasion.

Veterans List
    Some choice observations from Titus O'Reilly from his latest newsletter here: The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Finals Week Three | Titus O'Reily

"Jordan De Goey up forward made ‘the greatest fullback in the history of time’ Alex Rance look like someone who isn’t that great when held accountable to one player and not allowed to drift wherever he likes."

"At least all those Tigers fans that went early on those ‘back to back’ tattoos can simply get ‘almost’ tattooed in front.

Richmond fans simply sat there in shock thinking, ‘this is going to be hard to top for the worst performance in a Preliminary final this weekend’.

It wasn’t."

No....it wasn't! Then came Titus' own team, Melbourne.

"I’d like to be able to say I don’t know how to react to a performance like this, but the problem is I knew exactly how to react.

From the middle of the first quarter to the final siren, I tried to single-handily drink all the alcohol in Optus Stadium, and it would be fair to say I got close."

"This was a massacre, which sent a convoy of Range Rovers fleeing the stadium seeking sanctuary in Margaret River."

"I’ve been to funerals where I’ve cried a lot less.

Thinking about it, I haven’t ever cried as much as I did on Saturday, with the possible exception of watching The Notebook."

"A police officer approached and asked if I was OK. I told him I’d like to report the assault currently occurring out on the ground. With a straight face, he got out his notebook and started taking down a victim impact statement.

It was simultaneously one of the funniest and worst moments of my life."

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Some choice observations from Titus O'Reilly from his latest newsletter here: The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Finals Week Three | Titus O'Reily

"Jordan De Goey up forward made ‘the greatest fullback in the history of time’ Alex Rance look like someone who isn’t that great when held accountable to one player and not allowed to drift wherever he likes."

"At least all those Tigers fans that went early on those ‘back to back’ tattoos can simply get ‘almost’ tattooed in front.

Richmond fans simply sat there in shock thinking, ‘this is going to be hard to top for the worst performance in a Preliminary final this weekend’.

It wasn’t."

No....it wasn't! Then came Titus' own team, Melbourne.

"I’d like to be able to say I don’t know how to react to a performance like this, but the problem is I knew exactly how to react.

From the middle of the first quarter to the final siren, I tried to single-handily drink all the alcohol in Optus Stadium, and it would be fair to say I got close."

"This was a massacre, which sent a convoy of Range Rovers fleeing the stadium seeking sanctuary in Margaret River."

"I’ve been to funerals where I’ve cried a lot less.

Thinking about it, I haven’t ever cried as much as I did on Saturday, with the possible exception of watching The Notebook."

"A police officer approached and asked if I was OK. I told him I’d like to report the assault currently occurring out on the ground. With a straight face, he got out his notebook and started taking down a victim impact statement.

It was simultaneously one of the funniest and worst moments of my life."

Very good.

Poor Titus.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011