Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mason Cox Hype

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    He had a ripper of a game though
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Why settle for our hat when you can have the real deal!?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Not sure Mike Pyke ever put in a performance as eye-catching as big Cox’s one tonight.
    Maybe not as "eye catching" but he put together a much more consistent body of work during the 2012 and 2013 seasons. In fact he had the most contested marks in the entire AFL during that time.

Plus his performance in the 2012 grandfinal, where he basically rucked solo against McEvoy and Hale (Mumford was next to useless that day), and beat them.

Also taking many telling marks....We wouldn't of won without him. Mike Pyke is a legend!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Maybe not as "eye catching" but he put together a much more consistent body of work during the 2012 and 2013 seasons. In fact he had the most contested marks in the entire AFL during that time.

Plus his performance in the 2012 grandfinal, where he basically rucked solo against McEvoy and Hale (Mumford was next to useless that day), and beat them.

Also taking many telling marks....We wouldn't of won without him. Mike Pyke is a legend!
    ....as well as his reflex kick out of mid air which went to Jetta whose kick to the goal square lead to Malcho's GF winning goal! He was massive.....but.......so was Cox.

#coxycomments hashtag on Twitter

He's a funny guy. Very witty. If he joins RWO I'll be out of a job.

We missed out on a couple of good players and interesting characters when we let Cox and Jack Higgins get away. We could have had both of them.

I'd hate being Matt Ling. The pressure will really be on next year.

Warming the Bench
    I wonder if the teams that copied Richmond small forward set up will take a good look at the two finalist this year, big marking forwards.
    If you play a small forward line your kicking skills need to be very good as you can't rely on just bombing forward.
    I look forward to a forward line that includes at least 3 players from Reid, McCartin, Franklin (who can play small) & Sinclair and with the proposed starting 6, 6 & 6 we should get the ball forward as quickly as possible.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post

Mike Pyke took 6 contested marks in the 2012 gf. Mummy got injured and was eventually replaced by Parker (the sub for the day). It wasn't until i went back and watched replays that I realised how influential Mike Pyke was on that day. Mason Cox had a major influence on the outcome against Richmond in the prelim but let's see if he can repeat it in the GF - I hope so.

Mason Cox Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    Mike Pyke took 6 contested marks in the 2012 gf. Mummy got injured and was eventually replaced by Parker (the sub for the day). It wasn't until i went back and watched replays that I realised how influential Mike Pyke was on that day. Mason Cox had a major influence on the outcome against Richmond in the prelim but let's see if he can repeat it in the GF - I hope so.
    And while Mike is a big man he is 10 cms shorter than Cox: Mason Cox 211 cms, Mike Pyke 201 cms. The adjective ‘contested’ is a bit debatable for some of the marks Cox took.

He did play a great game though, he really looks like an AFL footballer now.

Veterans List
    IIRC Mumford went into the game with a hammie and Mike took most of the work for the full game. His instinctive kick off the ground for Jetta to mark sealed the game. Pity he didn't come to us at a younger age. I think Cox will be a fine player in years to come.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12