Thread: Respect for umpires

Respect for umpires

Switched off Eagles/Demons prelim and watched Saints/Hawks from earlier in the year.
    Eleni Gouftdis (not sure about the spelling) was umpiring and I wondered if the players were more respectful to her than some of the male umpires.

Even when they questioned her rulings they didn't 'go off' like you sometimes see. What do others think.

By the way I think she is a very good umpire.

I have the same opinion of her and I do believe that the players show her more respect. It will be interesting to see if they give her more games to officiate. By the way I do admire "Razor" Ray and I think that he is the most unintentional unbiased umpire going around and doesn't seem to be influenced by "home town" crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I have the same opinion of her and I do believe that the players show her more respect. It will be interesting to see if they give her more games to officiate. By the way I do admire "Razor" Ray and I think that he is the most unintentional unbiased umpire going around and doesn't seem to be influenced by "home town" crowds.
    Have to agree with all you have said. I like Razor Ray as well.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Switched off Eagles/Demons prelim and watched Saints/Hawks from earlier in the year.
    Eleni Gouftdis (not sure about the spelling) was umpiring and I wondered if the players were more respectful to her than some of the male umpires.

Even when they questioned her rulings they didn't 'go off' like you sometimes see. What do others think.

By the way I think she is a very good umpire.
    I think your last point is probably why she gets respect.....she's better than most of the male umpires, who let's face it, are pretty crap. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that some are cheats who deserve no respect.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think your last point is probably why she gets respect.....she's better than most of the male umpires, who let's face it, are pretty crap. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that some are cheats who deserve no respect.
    Whilst at the heat of the moment we may feel this way, I don't believe that they are deliberate cheats, but subconsciously they are influenced by the crowds, home town venues particularly in Melbourne when it comes to close decisions and also second guessing incidents. There also seems to be a bias towards Victorian teams when they are playing interstate teams in Melbourne, but I don't think that it is deliberate. Yes they are human and do deserve to be respected as human beings, but some of their performances and howlers can be queried and not be totally respected.
    As a supporter I just would like consistency with the decisions made and would like to see the frees that aren't paid, be paid. It's the blatant ones that they don't pay which is really annoying. In saying this, I do believe that the umpiring in the 2016 grand final was disgusting and those umpires should have been stood down for 4 games at the beginning of the 2017 season proper.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Whilst at the heat of the moment we may feel this way, I don't believe that they are deliberate cheats, but subconsciously they are influenced by the crowds, home town venues particularly in Melbourne when it comes to close decisions and also second guessing incidents. There also seems to be a bias towards Victorian teams when they are playing interstate teams in Melbourne, but I don't think that it is deliberate. Yes they are human and do deserve to be respected as human beings, but some of their performances and howlers can be queried and not be totally respected.
    As a supporter I just would like consistency with the decisions made and would like to see the frees that aren't paid, be paid. It's the blatant ones that they don't pay which is really annoying. In saying this, I do believe that the umpiring in the 2016 grand final was disgusting and those umpires should have been stood down for 4 games at the beginning of the 2017 season proper.
    I attended the VFL grand final between Box Hill Hawks (Hawthorn) & Casey Scorpions (Melbourne) yesterday with my son. He never complains about umpiring. When we go to neutral games he just sits and watches the game, records the stats & cheers when a goal is scored for the team he has chosen to support for the day. I as a neutral supporter was constantly rolling my eyes and shaking my head at the umpiring in favour of ........ (you guessed it) Hawthorn. At half time my son said, gee mum it's #freekickhawthorn even in the VFL! Free kicks were something like 4 - 15 at half time.
    Melbourne were worn down in the end, by the umpires non-calls and Hawthorn free kicks / non marks paid in their forward line.
    I used to be like my son and not worry about the umpires but now they really annoy me.

Veterans List
    Until 2016 I would get caught up in the heat of the moment game by game and then would reassess on the replay. But the umpires gifted the Dogs the 2016 Premiership and that's inexcusable. If getting rid of the AFL "boys club" reduces the chance of that happening again I'm all for it.

Veterans List
    Watching the finals I think Brett Roseberry (8) has been the best decision maker. I think Ray has also be good and both deserve to do the GF. I think he really has become a better umpire after he that injury stint. But as we know the "darling" Stevic will probably be part of the GF team. I hope not.

Veterans List
    Yep Stevic is umpiring the GF. So is Rosebury and Ryan.