Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grand Final Sprint

Gill the dill.

Usain bolt is in Australia. Maybe the mariners could field a runner too.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Probably Gill the Dill as the first non-AFL participants were in 2016 under his watch when 13 CABS sponsored the sprint allowing a cabbie and a local footballer from (James Shirley) form Murrumbeena to compete (the latter won) - the first time a non-AFL listed player has competed.

Then this year, the AFL advertised nationally for competitors http://m.afl.com.au/finals/grandfinalsprint

Gill is a nuff nuff
    Absolutely stupid decision to include athletes in the sprint. The whole idea of the sprint is to see who the fastest AFL listed players are. They might as well run the Stawell Gift on GF day.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Absolutely stupid decision to include athletes in the sprint. The whole idea of the sprint is to see who the fastest AFL listed players are. They might as well run the Stawell Gift on GF day.
    Gil and Steve Hocking - Laurel and Hardy

Absolute joke it not being exclusively AFL players. That is the whole point!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Absolute joke it not being exclusively AFL players. That is the whole point!
    While I concede they werent afl listed players , they do play afl. The winner was in fact in the U16 NSW rams squad this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    While I concede they werent afl listed players , they do play afl. The winner was in fact in the U16 NSW rams squad this year.
    I think the point is that nobody really gave a crap when they came 1 and 2 in the race.
    Have 2 races, one with potential draftees and another with current players.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Nah, they play Australian Rules in a totally different competition to the AFL. Captain is spot on. May as well scrap it.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I think the point is that nobody really gave a crap when they came 1 and 2 in the race.
    Have 2 races, one with potential draftees and another with current players.
    Personally I think no one gave a crap either way. Its a tradition based thing that most clubs throw in a junior player to run in. I bet few people could name the winner from last years sprint if asked and fewer any more than that. If you asked me , I would say - " I remember when Jetta ran in it one year for the swans and i think dangerfield once won it , but other than that dont really recall too much about it."

A couple of up and coming Australian Rules players (apologies to the purists for even calling them AFL players in my last post ) isn't going to change much but I concede it doesn't add anything to the event either.

The sprint is a nothing, but when your team isnt playing in the grand final, it gives you something to barack for when you have a sprint entrant.
    Keep it to the clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Personally I think no one gave a crap either way. Its a tradition based thing that most clubs throw in a junior player to run in. I bet few people could name the winner from last years sprint if asked and fewer any more than that. If you asked me , I would say - " I remember when Jetta ran in it one year for the swans and i think dangerfield once won it , but other than that dont really recall too much about it."

A couple of up and coming Australian Rules players (apologies to the purists for even calling them AFL players in my last post ) isn't going to change much but I concede it doesn't add anything to the event either.
    Yeah it's just a fringe fun thing on the day.
    Still, if you're gonna do it, do it properly...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The sprint is a nothing, but when your team isnt playing in the grand final, it gives you something to barack for when you have a sprint entrant.
    Keep it to the clubs.
    I satill remember the joy watching guys like Silvio Foschini, David Murphy, Daryl Vernon & Mark Bayes competing for us in the 80s. Grand Finals didn’t give Swans supporters much to cheer about back then (apart from our Brownlow Medalists doing a lap of honour). & I was pretty excited when Crouchy won it too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12