Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: #AFLGF Pies v Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    One year, Fitzroy played their home games at Collingwood's home ground, Victoria Park. I went to a Swans/Fitzroy game there with a Fitzroy suppporting friend who got us into the Member's area there. At one stage, another Fitzroy suppporter told me to get out of the Member' because I didn't belong there. I was able to point out that he didn't actually belong there, either - it was Collingwood's ground, not Fitzroy's. Unlike most people, I didn't have much sympathy for Fitzroy supporters. When South moved to Sydney, Fitzroy people and management became huge "Swans bashers" over what they perceived to be preferential treatment we were getting.
    Fitzroy supporters were very bitter by the end. They had been on deaths row for many years before the merger with Brisbane.
    The rejected a relocation package and so their management were trying to justify it by demonising the swans.

Few people outside of victoria morn for Fitzroy. Should have been the start of much more VFL club rationalisation.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Unfortunately it did RB. Maybe they were drunk, but even if they were, it wasn't called for.
    I can always get a royboy bash on Bigfooty..I'll shut up here on this now.

Oh, and Barry, you better believe it about 'bitter',

This petition is great.
    Make Collingwood as a whole look like sooks.

I hated that the Swans didn't kick up a bigger stink with the trade ban, but even at the time knew that we were acting with dignity and that would reflect well on us long term.

The Collingwood thing is just a stupid fan, but media grabbed it and it got legs. Eventually it will be remembered as Collingwood sooking (hoefully)
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post

Alan Aylett, VFL President, was the person behind trying to move both South and Fitzroy so his beloved North Melbourne survived. He started with Fitzroy and when Leon Wiegard resisted, moved over to South. Our mob were as weak as water and rolled over.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Alan Aylett, VFL President, was the person behind trying to move both South and Fitzroy so his beloved North Melbourne survived. He started with Fitzroy and when Leon Wiegard resisted, moved over to South. Our mob were as weak as water and rolled over.
    But history will judge the swans move as a very astute move.
    Fitzroy had to merge, and North are still selling games all over the country to "survive" ( if living on your knees is surviving).
    Meanwhile, swans are a powerhouse.

- - - Updated - - -

You are entitled to feel bitter, but you should direct it at the old Fitzroy board who got the club into that predicament in the first place, and the boards before them.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    But history will judge the swans move as a very astute move.

- - - Updated - - -

You are entitled to feel bitter, but you should direct it at the old Fitzroy board who got the club into that predicament in the first place, and the boards before them.
    Depends who writes the history. And RB, you should also direct your bitterness at Aylett. As I'm sure you do.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Depends who writes the history. And RB, you should also direct your bitterness at Aylett. As I'm sure you do.
    Aylett had a few mates. Never forget any of them.

Anyway, long time ago now, and I have 05 and 12 to keep me warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    If you take it as a given that there was going to be a national australian rules competition, it could start in two ways:

1) Invite teams from all the major leagues, set up new teams in Sydney and Brisbane, and go from there. In this scenario, only the big 6 vic teams would have made it in. No fitzroy, no Norf, no swans.

2) Expand the VFL to incorporate non-vic teams. At best, this had to cull 2 vic teams from the VFL simply to keep the numbers managable. They ended up being swans and fitzroy. Why?, because they were the most mis-managed, poorest, least st supported (ie, easy targets).

So the only way fitzroy would survive was to be a "powerhouse" club, and the reason they werent goes back 10, 20 50 years before they got the chop.

Senior Player
    I’m done

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    We have far more dignity than that.
    BUT... if you want to complain about umpiring decisions in a granny, 2016 is a good start. How come he didn't mention any of those?
    Because he's from Melbourne and was happy to see the Swans lose......because like most supporters of Vic based teams......he's a selective hypocrite!

Veterans List
    I’m done
    I'm hearing you!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213