Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Best 22 for 2019

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p512yr.html

The Age experts rate us as 12th, hoi polloi as 9th. They bang on about how we will miss Hannebery, list our geriatrics, point out how inexperienced our youngsters are and say we don't have enough players in the critical 24-28 group. But I'm happy with being under the radar again.
    Odd, all their writers think that the lack of Hannebery will hurt us? He's hardly played a decent game, since the damage that was done in the 2016 GF. Most of last season, whenever he got the ball, I immediately started to hope that he wouldn't turn it over. While his lack of lateral movement, meant that he was often the weak link in the defensive structure. He may recapture some old form, but that doesn't mean we're weaker than last year. More midfield time for Heeney, Mills, Papley or Jones, will easily cover his absence.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Maybe not best 22 but I think this should be our Round 1 team:

B: Thurlow - Grundy - Aliir
    HB: Lloyd - Rampe - McVeigh
    C: Cunningham - Kennedy - Florent
    HF: Heeney - Franklin - Dawson
    F: Hayward - Reid - Papley
    R: Sinclair - Parker - Mills
    INT: Hewett - Clarke - Jones - Blakey

Melican and Ronke miss out. I like both but I think they’ve both been a step behind in the JLT. I’ve probably forgotten someone.
    We will have to see who plays in the reserves this weekend. I think Florent has to play to be considered for Round 1. I didn't think Franklin would make Round 1 anyway. Blakey probably over McCartin at this point, unless McCartin has a big game on the weekend.

I hate to see Melican miss out, but he hasn't looked sharp and may need a little time to get his form back. I'm not sure what we will do once he's back in form, which shouldn't be too long, i.e. whether we can play Reg, Aliir, and Melican is the same side. Reg is looking a bit slimmer and quicker than last year, and not quite ready to relinquish his spot in the side.

Here's my guess for Round 1 atm:

B: Thurlow - Grundy - Aliir
    HB: O'Riordan - Rampe - Lloyd
    C: Cunningham - Kennedy - Hewett
    HF: Heeney - Blakey - Dawson
    F: Hayward - Reid - Papley
    R: Sinclair - Parker - Mills
    INT: McVeigh- Clarke - Ronke - Jones

We should try to keep Thurlow, COR and Dawson in the side if at all possible, as they are all ready to play, look sharp, and need to get senior games to build their experience. They should all be important long-term components of the side for years to come.

Is anyone missing Towers, Robinson or Marsh? ........... I didn't think so. We will have plenty of good young players not getting senior games this year. We have a lot of depth in quality 1st to 3rd year players, which bodes well for the future.

It's hard to say how we will go this year. A lot will depend on our coaching staff and how well they can work so many new and inexperienced players into the side, some with new roles. I don't expect the coordination to be there round 1. Finding the best solution at centre bounces will be challenge.

A forward line of Franklin, Reid and Menzel playing at top form could be the best in the league. Will they ever play a game together?

I don't think we will miss Hanners at all. He was, in fact, our biggest liability last year. Heeney, Mills, Hewett and Jones all look primed to be 1st class midfielders this year. Lloyd and Papley may also be spending more time in the midfield as our depth of medium/small forwards and defenders grows.

Aliir is looking in fine form and could become a real force to be reckoned with this year. He just might be our most important player.

It's easy for the pundits to leave Sydney out of the top 8 as there is so little known about our emerging players. And to be fair, we really don't know either, but as fans, we tend to be optimistic if given an opening. If you look at Collingwood, for example, Pendlebottom, Treloar, Adams and Beams makes for a formidable experienced midfield. Our young guys need to prove themselves able to work together as a dynamic force.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 12th March 2019 at 06:06 PM.

Our injury list is looking pretty good. Hopefully Buddy is good for round 2, if not for round 1. Menzel not far off either.

Maybe Ollie will be ready to go round 1, which will make for a really tough selection call.

Darcy Cameron Knee Test
    Ollie Florent Foot Test
    Lance Franklin Groin 1-2 weeks
    Kieren Jack Knee Test
    Matthew Ling Toe Indefinite
    Jack Maibaum Knee Season
    Daniel Menzel Groin 1-2 weeks
    Sam Naismith Knee 4-8 weeks
    Nick Smith Illness / hamstring 3-4 weeks
    Durak Tucker Knee Indefinite

Updated: Tuesday, March 12

Early prognosis

Franklin and Menzel will be cutting it fine for round one and the Swans will decide on their chances next week, with Franklin the only realistic chance given his ability to play with limited preparation. Isaac Heeney (ankle) and Jake Lloyd (illness) are likely to train fully this week and be fit and ready for a clash with the Western Bulldogs. Young midfielder Florent is on track to face the Dogs after a mild foot sprain, while veteran Jack could also be available for selection but given his limited preparation he's only an outside chance for the season opener. A bout of illness was a setback for Smith's recovery from hamstring surgery and the Swans don't expect him to be ready to play for the first few rounds, while in better news young forward Tom McCartin is back to full training following his concussion issues. - Adam Curley

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p512yr.html

The Age experts rate us as 12th, hoi polloi as 9th. They bang on about how we will miss Hannebery, list our geriatrics, point out how inexperienced our youngsters are and say we don't have enough players in the critical 24-28 group. But I'm happy with being under the radar again.
    "They still have six players in their 30s, including key defender Heath Grundy, with no obvious successor."

Melican?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

It's quite understandable why so many pundits have seen the Swans as sliders this year, and they may well be right. There are so many open questions about whether we have the personnel ready to compete with the best. Other top clubs have added proven elite players: Lynch to Richmond, Beams to Collingwood and Shiel to Essendon, to name a few. While the Swans have exchanged 3 senior players for another 3 players of roughly equal quality, but somewhat younger and less established.

So it's not that obvious how the Swans improve from the past 2 seasons.

My thoughts on this are:

• We have several key players returning from injury: Reid, Melican, Mills and to some extent Dawson, who missed most of the year. Naismith should also return in a couple of months.
    • It's going to be important to keep 4 key pillars of the forward line and defence healthy for most of the year: Franklin, Reid, Aliir and Rampe. If they can stay on the park, the rest should take care of itself; there's enough depth to carry us through.
    • The addition of Thurlow, COR and Melican to our defensive structure this season allows Mills and Lloyd to move into the midfield, although Lloyd is more likely than not to start or rotate in defence. I'm not sure what happens when Smith is fit to play. We will have 9 quality players to cover 6 positions in defence. It is legitimate to question whether:
      1. Thurlow can successfully make the move from Geelong and fulfill his potential as a 1st round draft pick.
      2. O'Riordan can bring his NEAFL game to AFL level (so far, so good).
      3. Melican can return to his 2017 form after a year on the sidelines. He looks a bit rusty so far.

• Do the Swans have the kind of ruckman suited to the new rules. We have a variety of choices once Naismith is fit. It's hard to say what the best strategy will be with so many rule changes this year. It would be great to have all 3 ruckmen fit and firing to give us several pathways to winning the ball at the centre bounces.
    • How many of our emerging midfielders and small forwards (Heeney, Mills, Hewett, Jones, Florent, Dawson, Ronke, Hayward, Clark and Papley can take their games to the next level. When I look at this list of players, I feel very positive, but for outsiders, there must be a lot of uncertainty. Heeney is the only one recognised as an emerging superstar.
    • We have a lot of players who will be taking on new positions or modified roles from prior years. It usually takes time to adjust and there will likely be a fair bit of experimentation throughout the year. Can we settle in quickly enough to establish ourselves as a top 8 team?

On the surface, it would appear that this group is a year or 2 away from making a serious challenge for a premiership. I've been quite positive about how we've been transitioning the side over the past half dozen years. We may not be quite ready for a premiership yet, but we should see if the strategy of going to the draft and trying to pick quick and skillful players has worked. We've got the numbers, but how many will develop into top line players?

Once the players from the past 2 drafts are ready for AFL footy, we should be serious flag contenders for another decade.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Odd, all their writers think that the lack of Hannebery will hurt us? He's hardly played a decent game, since the damage that was done in the 2016 GF. Most of last season, whenever he got the ball, I immediately started to hope that he wouldn't turn it over. While his lack of lateral movement, meant that he was often the weak link in the defensive structure. He may recapture some old form, but that doesn't mean we're weaker than last year. More midfield time for Heeney, Mills, Papley or Jones, will easily cover his absence.
    The 'experts' will come up with anything. We would miss the 'old Hannebrey', but as you say he hasn't been seen since 2016 really. I doubt we will miss what he had sadly become last season. I hope he can get his body right and do well for the Saints however.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's quite understandable why so many pundits have seen the Swans as sliders this year, and they may well be right. There are so many open questions about whether we have the personnel ready to compete with the best. Other top clubs have added proven elite players: Lynch to Richmond, Beams to Collingwood and Shiel to Essendon, to name a few. While the Swans have exchanged 3 senior players for another 3 players of roughly equal quality, but somewhat younger and less established.

So it's not that obvious how the Swans improve from the past 2 seasons.

My thoughts on this are:

• We have several key players returning from injury: Reid, Melican, Mills and to some extent Dawson, who missed most of the year. Naismith should also return in a couple of months.
    • It's going to be important to keep 4 key pillars of the forward line and defence healthy for most of the year: Franklin, Reid, Aliir and Rampe. If they can stay on the park, the rest should take care of itself; there's enough depth to carry us through.
    • The addition of Thurlow, COR and Melican to our defensive structure this season allows Mills and Lloyd to move into the midfield, although Lloyd is more likely than not to start or rotate in defence. I'm not sure what happens when Smith is fit to play. We will have 9 quality players to cover 6 positions in defence. It is legitimate to question whether:
      1. Thurlow can successfully make the move from Geelong and fulfill his potential as a 1st round draft pick.
      2. O'Riordan can bring his NEAFL game to AFL level (so far, so good).
      3. Melican can return to his 2017 form after a year on the sidelines. He looks a bit rusty so far.

• Do the Swans have the kind of ruckman suited to the new rules. We have a variety of choices once Naismith is fit. It's hard to say what the best strategy will be with so many rule changes this year. It would be great to have all 3 ruckmen fit and firing to give us several pathways to winning the ball at the centre bounces.
    • How many of our emerging midfielders and small forwards (Heeney, Mills, Hewett, Jones, Florent, Dawson, Ronke, Hayward, Clark and Papley can take their games to the next level. When I look at this list of players, I feel very positive, but for outsiders, there must be a lot of uncertainty. Heeney is the only one recognised as an emerging superstar.
    • We have a lot of players who will be taking on new positions or modified roles from prior years. It usually takes time to adjust and there will likely be a fair bit of experimentation throughout the year. Can we settle in quickly enough to establish ourselves as a top 8 team?

On the surface, it would appear that this group is a year or 2 away from making a serious challenge for a premiership. I've been quite positive about how we've been transitioning the side over the past half dozen years. We may not be quite ready for a premiership yet, but we should see if the strategy of going to the draft and trying to pick quick and skillful players has worked. We've got the numbers, but how many will develop into top line players?

Once the players from the past 2 drafts are ready for AFL footy, we should be serious flag contenders for another decade.
    Completely agree Ludwig. If I was summing up my thoughts before the season, it would broadly cover the exact themes above.

Our first 8 weeks will be critical to where we will end up this season. It will take time for guys coming back from injury to find their groove and fitness. There are players shifting position etc that will upset it a bit more. And new players to potentially integrate. We need to find a way to muddle through the first couple of months okay - if we could be say 5-3 or even 4-4, I would give us a good chance of a strong second half of the season and playing finals footy again.

I'm far from convinced we will challenge strongly in 2019, but I do think, if players develop as we hope, we have a very strong nucleus of a team that can be a Premiership Contender again early in the 2020s.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415