Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 for 2019

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    You are probably right but I'm not sure if he'll be there round 1. I am also unconvinced about Naismith. It's obvious that the club thinks very highly of him giving him 3 more years during an ACL reco but apart from being really tall I don't see it.
    Did the rule change that the ruckmen can grab it from the throw in/ball up go through?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Yeah, Despite Sinclairs good season, we still got flogged in the ruck, so Nainsmith >> Sinclair.

Its Sinclair vs Reid for the 2nd tall, relief ruckman role.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Did the rule change that the ruckmen can grab it from the throw in/ball up go through?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Yeah, Despite Sinclairs good season, we still got flogged in the ruck, so Nainsmith >> Sinclair.

Its Sinclair vs Reid for the 2nd tall, relief ruckman role.
    I prefer Naismith.

Senior Player
    I was bored so I thought I'd have a crack at our Round 1 team given our current information. This also assumes that everyone is fit.

B: Aliir Melican Smith
    HB: Lloyd Rampe O'Riordan
    C: Florent Kennedy Clarke
    Foll: Sinclair Parker Hewitt
    HF: Heeney Franklin Hayward
    F: Ronke Reid Papley

B: McVeigh Mills Cunningham Jones

NEAFL: Grundy, Jack, Dawson, McCartin, Stoddart, Ling
    I do think this exercise demonstrates that it's pretty difficult to pick a best 22 from our full squad, and that best 22 is a strong team.

The season petered out disappointingly, but we shouldn't forget the impact of injuries this year.

Mills, Reid and Melican are in our most important 10 players. Mills already provides leadership, particularly through his courage. I'm looking forward to watching him play next year. Reid is a very important foil for Buddy, who didn't have enough support this year. Melican is already our most versatile genuine tall defender.

Naismith needs to develop his contribution around the ground, but his tap work was important to our success in 2016. He's also got a bit of steel to his game, like Mills in particular, which we missed last year.

I know the counter argument is that most of those guys are injury prone, but that doesn't mean they will be next year. Reid has played five full AFL seasons (out of nine).

Those guys back improves our structures in all areas of the ground (particularly by freeing up Parker and Heeney to play more midfield).

Then there's Buddy, who kicked 8 in the first game against the eventual premiers, injured himself and hardly trained the rest of the year. He missed 4 games, but still kicked 57 goals and finished player's player. He spoke with determination about winning another premiership in his interview with Swans TV at the BSM.

There's a lot of negativity on the trade thread. It's somewhat understandable given our flat exit and the expectation that we might have a dip at an elite player. But we still have a very strong squad and there's plenty if reason to be optimistic of a better season next year.

Sinclair
    Papley Hayward

Reid Blakey
    Buddy

Naismith Parker Hewitt
    Heeney Mills Kennedy

Mcartin
    Florent Lloyd
    Allir Rampe
    Melican

Bench-Jones Clarke Dawson Ronke

Emg- McVeigh Grundy Jack Cameron

everyone keeps forgetting smith!

Smith is overrated Florent will take his spot...

Quote Originally Posted by Cainit View Post
    Smith is overrated Florent will take his spot...
    ??? Whoa. Maybe Cunningham who has some experience tagging players could, but theyre not even the same kind of player. The fact you think Smith is overrated is bizarre. When was the last time a small forward went to town against the Swans with Smith in the team? I can't think of any small forwards having 4+ bags against us in recent years.

On another note I think we can play Reid/Naismith/Sinclair in the same team. With Reid a permanent forward and Sinclair to play 70% forward and 30% ruck. I think Reid and Sinclair are mobile enough for this too happen. Does anyone know if Naismith should be right to go come round 1?

Let me just clarify Smith is a good player but we need speed out of defence and I think a defence with Smith Grundy and McVeigh in it can absorb attack but cant get it out quick enough to counter attack anymore.
    I think we need to by like the Hawks and maybe put these old guys on ice while our young brigade gels together. Mcartin Allir Florent Llyod Melican Rampe is exciting to me as a backline.

You are probably right but I'm not sure if he'll be there round 1. I am also unconvinced about Naismith. It's obvious that the club thinks very highly of him giving him 3 more years during an ACL reco but apart from being really tall I don't see it.
    I’m with you on that - he is a good tap ruckman and not much else

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I’m with you on that - he is a good tap ruckman and not much else
    He's only played 28 games. Give him a chance.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast