Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 for 2019

Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Although I agree with other stuff you've said, Ludwig, I want to underscore your point about Reg, Macca and KJ. From what I've seen so far, Ryan Clarke impresses me. I don't think it would help us if the coaching staff take a closed mind into next year as regards the best 22. Let all of these guys consider themselves sure to play ... only on their merits. That way we give the blokes we've got coming in, and the up-and-comers, incentive to work hard to force their way into the side. That's how I hope we'll be shouting "Go Bloods!" a little later in September next year than this.

I don't know if the effort put in by the boys this year will net more success. It may but then again it may not. This all depends on whether we are playing a game style that is appropriate to the modern player. Not only that, essentially we are still a very young list if you take Lance, Reg, Macca, KJ, Sinkas etc out. We have 35 players 26 and under on our list as of 1st October next. But I see 2020 as the year when the hard questions are going to be asked if we don't play off for the premiership or at least play competitively in a prelim final.

In saying all that I think the possibilities for for personnel in 2019 are mind boggling. I think we have some better options than we have had already. Menzel does not fit the demographic I thought they were looking for but he is a good forward. With him, Clarke and Thurlow pushing for spots that makes us stronger. All are pretty good players who for one reason or another have not been able to cement a solid senior spot on another list. Menzel was playing seniors but was not necessarily though about until the last selections for some reason. A bloke that kicks almost 2 goals a game is valuable I would have thought.

Add to these the emergence of Dawson, COR, Stoddart, Cameron and even Rose with Ling, Reid and Naismith coming back hopefully all fit and ready to play we will be very strong. Clarke has to clean up his disposal but unfortunately he is playing for Sydney haha. Let's not forget young players like Bell and Amarty either and if Pink can stay fit and get his 2017 form back plus 25% more he could also be valuable. Fox is an interesting one. I believe about half way through last season when Smithy got injured and Fox took his place thinking around him changed. I think they see him as a serious replacement for Smithy.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't know if the effort put in by the boys this year will net more success. It may but then again it may not. This all depends on whether we are playing a game style that is appropriate to the modern player. Not only that, essentially we are still a very young list if you take Lance, Reg, Macca, KJ, Sinkas etc out. We have 35 players 26 and under on our list as of 1st October next. But I see 2020 as the year when the hard questions are going to be asked if we don't play off for the premiership or at least play competitively in a prelim final.

In saying all that I think the possibilities for for personnel in 2019 are mind boggling. I think we have some better options than we have had already. Menzel does not fit the demographic I thought they were looking for but he is a good forward. With him, Clarke and Thurlow pushing for spots that makes us stronger. All are pretty good players who for one reason or another have not been able to cement a solid senior spot on another list. Menzel was playing seniors but was not necessarily though about until the last selections for some reason. A bloke that kicks almost 2 goals a game is valuable I would have thought.

Add to these the emergence of Dawson, COR, Stoddart, Cameron and even Rose with Ling, Reid and Naismith coming back hopefully all fit and ready to play we will be very strong. Clarke has to clean up his disposal but unfortunately he is playing for Sydney haha. Let's not forget young players like Bell and Amarty either and if Pink can stay fit and get his 2017 form back plus 25% more he could also be valuable. Fox is an interesting one. I believe about half way through last season when Smithy got injured and Fox took his place thinking around him changed. I think they see him as a serious replacement for Smithy.
    I agree with you. I did say "hope we'll be shouting 'Go Bloods!' a little later in September next year", rather than "I'm sure we will be". I think your post sums up well the sense of excitement that the list holds in prospect; I like that, rather than another year of - for example - 'Do we play the Enigma for yet one more game, because even though he gets only five and a half kicks a game, sometimes the last of them is crucial, is the sealer, or even wins the game with its very last kick?' And if we have to wait for 2020 for these fresh hopes to ripen to greater fulfilment, I can cope with that...

Stuff this , Swans for the flag , I’m calling it! It reeks of 2012, young team , a discarded forward whiz recruited by the swans ( Menzel = Morton) , some young kids about to have breakout seasons ( Heeney / Mills / Florent = Hanners , Jetta, Bird ) an old dog written off to prove the doubters fools ( LRT = Reginald Grundy ) and a couple of so so recruits who become excellent role players ( Shaw / Mattner = Clarke / Thurlow). And lastly it wouldn’t be a swans flag without a breakout performance from a young (ish) backman ( LRT 2005- AJ -2012 - Allir Allir 2019 ). All we need is a new game style , our ‘slingshot footy’ of 2012 reimagined to suit this side ? Any thoughts ? ( this is tongue in cheek by the way but i think I’ve convinced myself after writing it down ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Stuff this , Swans for the flag , I’m calling it! It reeks of 2012, young team , a discarded forward whiz recruited by the swans ( Menzel = Morton) , some young kids about to have breakout seasons ( Heeney / Mills / Florent = Hanners , Jetta, Bird ) an old dog written off to prove the doubters fools ( LRT = Reginald Grundy ) and a couple of so so recruits who become excellent role players ( Shaw / Mattner = Clarke / Thurlow). And lastly it wouldn’t be a swans flag without a breakout performance from a young (ish) backman ( LRT 2005- AJ -2012 - Allir Allir 2019 ). All we need is a new game style , our ‘slingshot footy’ of 2012 reimagined to suit this side ? Any thoughts ? ( this is tongue in cheek by the way but i think I’ve convinced myself after writing it down ).

I love it, Melbourne Blood...

But to quote from John Cleese (Brian Stimpson, the headmaster in a film called 'Clockwise'): “It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.”

As I tend to get too passionate - far more passionate than knowledgeable - about footy, I try to tell myself that I should be happy with ninth even while I'm denying the reality of actually yearning for 'Swans snare upset win in Premiership 2019' (Clarko's Hawks fizzle... McLachlan and McGuire in meltdown over unexpected result... etc, etc)

In comparison to the other teams I don’t think we have improved our list into a top4 team

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    In comparison to the other teams I don’t think we have improved our list into a top4 team
    That’s pretty much the point of my post though. It was the same in 2012! We were tipped to slide , we had a 20 year old as our only key forward. We were bundled out easily in the finals the year previous ( semis I think ) We had no chance of wining a flag in 2012 compared to collingwood, Geelong , Adelaide , hawthorn , freo , yet we did. As I said it’s a bit of jest but There is no guarantee that teams who have seemingly bolstered their lists will automatically be better next year, we are the perfect example of that on recent form . The tigers prelim thrashing could hurt them like 2014 did , and then 2016 did to us. West coast could suffer a hangover , the pies could come back to reality , who knows ??

We haven't traded in "top-end" talent like other teams have. Which didn't work that well for Port or the Bombers this year.
    But we are backing in our young, home-grown talent to improve significantly next year.

I don't know what will happen. The evidence this year, when we played with a very young side, wasn't great. But they'll all be a year older, stronger etc in 2019. Plus we did trade in three experienced-ish players (OK Clarke's still pretty young). And we get back Reid, Naismith and Mills.

Hoping that our midfield performs better in 2019 than it did in 2018. Fingers crossed!

West Coast picked up Brandon Ah Chee last trade period
    Lost Nic Nat Sheppard and Gaff and won a flag

Now that is non improvement

And Lost Mitchell and Priddis

I think the comp is far too even to make those sort of predictions. We probably would've been in the top 4 this season if it wasn't for Buddy and Parker pulling out of the Hawthorn clash.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post

Sounds good to me......I'm on board!

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast