Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 for 2019

Fair points

For me, minimum, I don’t want the opposite ruck to dominate on the tap downs

I like our ruck to be able to nullify the likes of Gawn or Brody etc and Sammy at 205cm can do this

If the opposition teams can’t get a jump on us because they can not dominate the tap then that is a massive win for our midfield who are generally considered an inside contested midfield

Unfortunately sinkers can’t stop the taller dominate tap ruckman to date

Secondly You would guess that Naismith has the greatest potential to actually start to win more then he looses in the ruck

Lastly Naismith does appear inferior around the ground compared to sinkers

And, in turn, fair points.

But to my way of thinking, that's where McCartin's place in the team comes under pressure. Sinkers has played forward, and is more recently a ruckman; he has kicked a number of goals for us, so I'd be inclined to start him forward and have him relieve Naismith in the ruck.

One of the commentators - I can't remember which one - was obviously impressed with Sinkers; some time before mid-season I remember him expressing the view that Sinkers was quietly getting closer to the most effective ruckmen. I probably accepted that as wishful thinking rather than current reality, but, that said, he has been competitive, though we perhaps all (?) agree that Naismith is the better tap ruckman, so I'm in agreement with your assessment that a fit Naismith has the greater potential to win more than he loses in the ruck.

Sinkers has a great tank so we could move Sinkers to McCartins role and put Naismith in as main ruck. Reid would be 2nd tall and Sinkers 3rd and relief ruck.

I know others favour Cameron based on NEAFL form.

Veteran Site Admin
    Cameron has been pretty good at NEAFL level, but it is just NEAFL level. It's entirely speculation as to whether he can eventually produce that level of football at senior level. I also think he's a ruckman in the Sinclair mold, rather than the Naismith (or better) mold. By that I mean I don't see him being dominant at stoppages but rather as a tall, versatile player who can contribute all around ground. Last season, before he got injured, I saw him more as a decent forward prospect who could pinch hit in the ruck but that may have been because he was mostly played as a forward. In 2018 he had little support in the ruck in the NEAFL team so played predominantly as a full-time ruckman. His ruck work and overall effectiveness around the ground certainly improved as the year went on, but he was still able to take some strong marks in the forward line and contribute on the scoreboard.

I don't see any way that he starts the season ahead of Sinclair or Naismith but I hope he gets some opportunities to show what he's got at senior level.

I also think Naismith has far greater ability to contribute around the ground than most here give him credit for, though I don't see him as ever being a forward threat (as Sinclair, Tippett and maybe Cameron are/were/could be). That's based on watching how's he's played at NEAFL level during the short periods when he's been fit. However, I fear his career may peter out the way that Stephen Doyle's did because he's just had one injury problem after another that have either stopped him playing altogether, or have interfered with his ability to get a couple of really good pre-seasons into his legs and to build his endurance.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    And, in turn, fair points.

But to my way of thinking, that's where McCartin's place in the team comes under pressure. Sinkers has played forward, and is more recently a ruckman; he has kicked a number of goals for us, so I'd be inclined to start him forward and have him relieve Naismith in the ruck.

One of the commentators - I can't remember which one - was obviously impressed with Sinkers; some time before mid-season I remember him expressing the view that Sinkers was quietly getting closer to the most effective ruckmen. I probably accepted that as wishful thinking rather than current reality, but, that said, he has been competitive, though we perhaps all (?) agree that Naismith is the better tap ruckman, so I'm in agreement with your assessment that a fit Naismith has the greater potential to win more than he loses in the ruck.
    I think that was Luke Darcy. Typically hyperbolic and probably at the moment Sinclair's season started to taper.

I agree with you. I'd play Naismith as the main ruckman and give Sinclair a forward/resting ruck role.

It's worth pointing out that Sinkers went against Grundy and Gawn in back-to-back games in Rounds 20 and 21. In both games the Swans broke even in clearances. At the risk of sounding a bit too much like Ludwig, hit outs are overrated.

Brownlow 2018

Mac Gawn 20 votes

Brody Grundy 17 votes

Sinkers 6 votes

I think it’s fair to say that over a whole season rather then looking at just two games you would take Gawn or Grundy rather then sinkers

I am 100% confident that our ruck work would be better with Gawn or Brody

So the question remains can Naismith out perform sinkers against the best ruckman in the Comp ?

I’ll pop along to training in dec to start to observe who is winning the battle

100% I would take Gawn or Grundy. That was never in question. The point is that tap ruckmen don’t equate to clearance dominance. Gawn and Grundy do more than hitouts and so were acknowledged with Brownlow votes. Naismith does nothing but hitouts. How many Brownlow votes has Naismith ever received?

FB: Smith Grundy Melican
    HB: Rampe Allir Lloyd
    C: Hewitt Heeney Jones
    HF: Parker Franklin Menzel
    FF: Papley Reid Ronke
    R: Naismith Kennedy Mills

Int: Sinclair McVeigh Florent Hayward

Emerg: Cunningham Clarke Dawson McCartin

Depth: Jack, O'Riordan, Blakey, Cameron, Thurlow, Stoddart, Ling, Rose, Fox, Armartey, Maibaum, Bell.
    Last edited by KSAS; 19th November 2018 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    FB: Smith Grundy Melican
    HB: Rampe Allir Lloyd
    C: Hewitt Heeney Jones
    HF: Parker Franklin Menzel
    FF: Papley Reid Ronke
    R: Naismith Kennedy Mills

Int: Sinclair McVeigh Florent Hayward

Emerg: Cunningham Clarke Dawson McCartin

Depth: Jack, O'Riordan, Blakey, Cameron, Thurlow, Stoddart, Ling, Rose, Fox, Armartey, Maibaum, Bell.

The big questions for me are:
    1. Do we play both Naismith and Sinclair? We end up with a tall and cluttered forward line and less run. The No 1 ruck position is Sinclair's to lose as things stand, and unfortunately with Towers gone, the back-ups are Reid (uh-oh) and Parker. Perhaps Aliir? So I see the argument for playing both.
    2. Is Grundy going to hold a place in the side? If Melican is good to go, we can play him, Rampe and AA as talls, and look to play an intercept HB—O'Riordan? Or look towards Ling and/or Maibaum.

I do worry that Longmire will stick with Jack. I also would like to find room for Cunningham.

I'd like to see:

B Rampe Mellican Smith
    HB Lloyd AA McVeigh
    C Florent Heeney Cunningham
    HF Papley Reid Franklin
    F Ronke Menzel Hayward

R Sinclair Kennedy Parker

Int Mills Jones Hewitt O'Riordan

E: Blakey Clarke Dawson

Depth Naismith, McCartin, Thurlow, Stoddard, Ling, Cameron,

I would say that Sinclair will not get a game if both Nainsmith and Reid are available and in form.

Sinclair is an ok ruckman, but not as good as Naismith. An ok forward, but not as good as Reid.

Tough on the kid.

Veteran Site Admin
    In recent past years I've thought that there were 15 or 16 players locked into the best 22 at this time of year, with the remaining 6-7 places up for grabs. I'm even less certain this year who our best 22 is. I think there's a lot to train for over the pre-season for a big chunk of our squad.

The players I'd lock into our best 22 at this stage are:
    Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Rampe, Heeney, Mills, Jones, Lloyd, Hewett and Smith. Some might argue over Smith but we don't have anyone else in the squad who has shown any ability to play his role. And I know there are some who wouldn't have Jones (and maybe even Mills) as certain starters, but for me they are.

The rest have competition, some with just a small group of players, others with a larger group.

I think Cunningham is more likely to be in the starting team than not. He's quick, reasonably consistent and can play a variety of roles. On the other hand, he probably doesn't have the same scope for improvement as some of the younger players. If he's overtaken for a spot in the best 22, I see that as a sign the team has strengthened considerably.

Similarly I see Papley as on the cusp of being a certain starter (when fit) but the return of some talls and the introduction of Menzel might result in a different looking forward line. In which case, the smaller forwards (Ronke, Papley, Haywood) might be fighting for fewer spots. Which of them can provide most flexibility? And make a mark when rotating through the midfield?

I don't see Rampe, Aliir, Melican and Grundy all lining up in the same team. I have Rampe as a certainty but the others I think are competing for two spots. If Melican and Aliir can keep Grundy out of the side, that's a good sign. But I'm not writing the wily veteran off yet. The younger players need to do enough to push him out.

I haven't seen enough of Clarke or Thurlow at their previous clubs to know where to place them. But I suspect Clarke most likely finds his way into the best 22 as the one most able to contribute in the role Hanners played. I have no expectations that Clarke will reach the heights of a younger Hannebery but hopefully he can contribute more than the 2018 Hannebery was able to.

Dawson and O'Riordan are two who I would love to force their way into the best 22 by the time the season rolls around. They don't have enough runs on the board to be slotted in now, but I think both can bring something to the team that it lacked last year. I think we'll be a better team if they are regulars in the side next year. In the case of O'Riordan, that probably means he needs to force out McVeigh. That's a tough thing to expect of him.

Florent is one player I think has the capacity to most improve the side but I expect a gradual improvement over the next two or three seasons, rather than a sudden elevation into a top flight player. I hope he's well and truly in the best 22 but he might be competing with Clarke, Cunningham, Jones and maybe some others.

Similarly, I'm a huge fan of Ronke and see him as a midfielder in the long term, not a small forward (albeit a midfielder who can contribute on the scoreboard). In an ideal world, he would have played a dozen or so games last year, not the majority of the season. It was a big workload for a young player and he was clearly sore by the end of the year. I don't see it as a bad thing if he spends some time in the NEAFL next year, developing his on-ball craft. Alternatively, we could see him with some midfield tagging roles next year. He has the pace and the tenacity. Just as it did with Jack (who I see as his role model), tagging might help him understand where to run to win the ball and to learn the midfield craft off some of the best midfielders in the competition. And it might free up Hewett to focus more on winning the ball at stoppages (where he's already the second best in the team, I believe).

I can't see Reid, Sinclair and Naismith all in the same team (unless Buddy is injured). But there are a few ways a couple of them could be used in the team. It will be nice if the coaches have some options next season. And Cameron could challenge them for a spot.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast