Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 154

Thread: Best 22 for 2019

  1. #1
    Captain of the Side Captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Beaches
    Posts
    2,581

    Best 22 for 2019

    Obviously the trade period and draft are unknowns at this stage. Even before then, I think our best 22 stacks up pretty damn well for a good shot next year.

    Mine would look something like this:

    Papley Franklin Haywood
    Ronke Reid Cunningham
    Lloyd Kennedy Jones
    Mills Aliir McVeigh
    Smith Melican Rampe
    Naismith Parker Heeney
    Sinclair Hewett Florent O'Riordan
    E: Grundy McCartin Jack, Stoddart

    This is a pretty handy team that will only be stronger after the trade period.

    Assumptions:
    No injuries (obviously wishful thinking)
    Hanners and Rohan traded
    Towers, Rose, Fox, Robinson, Newman delisted or traded
    Jack to play on

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Obviously the trade period and draft are unknowns at this stage. Even before then, I think our best 22 stacks up pretty damn well for a good shot next year.

    Mine would look something like this:

    Papley Franklin Haywood
    Ronke Reid Cunningham
    Lloyd Kennedy Jones
    Mills Aliir McVeigh
    Smith Melican Rampe
    Naismith Parker Heeney
    Sinclair Hewett Florent O'Riordan
    E: Grundy McCartin Jack, Stoddart

    This is a pretty handy team that will only be stronger after the trade period.

    Assumptions:
    No injuries (obviously wishful thinking)
    Hanners and Rohan traded
    Towers, Rose, Fox, Robinson, Newman delisted or traded
    Jack to play on
    Pretty fair team, especially if Naismith, Reid and Melican can stand up physically.

  3. #3
    That's a good team but not a great team. Hope we trade well to make us a contender.

  4. #4
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Obviously the trade period and draft are unknowns at this stage. Even before then, I think our best 22 stacks up pretty damn well for a good shot next year.

    Mine would look something like this:

    Papley Franklin Haywood
    Ronke Reid Cunningham
    Lloyd Kennedy Jones
    Mills Aliir McVeigh
    Smith Melican Rampe
    Naismith Parker Heeney
    Sinclair Hewett Florent O'Riordan
    E: Grundy McCartin Jack, Stoddart

    This is a pretty handy team that will only be stronger after the trade period.

    Assumptions:
    No injuries (obviously wishful thinking)
    Hanners and Rohan traded
    Towers, Rose, Fox, Robinson, Newman delisted or traded
    Jack to play on
    Seems fairly on the money to me.

    The question we have to ask now is, are the names being talked about as possible trade in's, ie: Moore, Clarke, Vandenburg, Duyrea, Thurlow(?) going to strengthen that team or indeed be better than the talent we are letting go?

    At this stage, I would say that's a no....so only with a good injury run do we have the team to go further next season but with injuries, we probably haven't increased our depth enough to improve and go further.

    Time to improve the best 22......and land a big fish or a few better ones. The time is now and Buddy's not getting any younger or less injury prone.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 2nd October 2018 at 01:12 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Obviously the trade period and draft are unknowns at this stage. Even before then, I think our best 22 stacks up pretty damn well for a good shot next year.

    Mine would look something like this:

    Papley Franklin Haywood
    Ronke Reid Cunningham
    Lloyd Kennedy Jones
    Mills Aliir McVeigh
    Smith Melican Rampe
    Naismith Parker Heeney
    Sinclair Hewett Florent O'Riordan
    E: Grundy McCartin Jack, Stoddart

    This is a pretty handy team that will only be stronger after the trade period.

    Assumptions:
    No injuries (obviously wishful thinking)
    Hanners and Rohan traded
    Towers, Rose, Fox, Robinson, Newman delisted or traded
    Jack to play on
    We are in trouble if that's our midfield. I'm nervous about the Melican, Rampe and Aliir key defender combo as well.

  6. #6
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,079
    That's not much of a change to 2018. With that 22 we are hoping that the perennial injured players will stand up for the season. We need more than that and agree that "someone new" is needed. Agree on Stoddart; I expect him to be a permanent fixture not too far into the season. The one we must get a lot more out of is Hayward. Highly skilled, exciting, freakish but very light, very outside, easily knocked off one on one contests and doesn't get enough of the footy. We need more than cameo efforts from him.

    On Franklin; I wonder how long he can play CHF moving up the ground. It has to come soon where his longevity is dependent on him playing out of the 18 metre "square".

  7. #7
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,786
    The name not mentioned that I think needs to find his way into our best 22 is Dawson. I realise he's largely unproven at senior level and I'm projecting a lot, based on what he has so far delivered in the few senior games he's played, but his attributes potentially provide something that no-one else on our list really does. I see him playing a young ROK role, at least to start with, working hard as a half-forward who can take a contested mark, tackle, kick long and accurately into the forward line, and also convert opportunities himself. He just needs a bit of fortune on the injury front so that he can finally get a full pre-season into his body to get really fit, and also participate fully in the team drills so that he understands and becomes confident in his role in the team.

  8. #8
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,079
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The name not mentioned that I think needs to find his way into our best 22 is Dawson. I realise he's largely unproven at senior level and I'm projecting a lot, based on what he has so far delivered in the few senior games he's played, but his attributes potentially provide something that no-one else on our list really does. I see him playing a young ROK role, at least to start with, working hard as a half-forward who can take a contested mark, tackle, kick long and accurately into the forward line, and also convert opportunities himself. He just needs a bit of fortune on the injury front so that he can finally get a full pre-season into his body to get really fit, and also participate fully in the team drills so that he understands and becomes confident in his role in the team.
    But is he likely to put his body on the line like ROK. I haven't seen this in him as yet. Good tackler but what about first to the footy.

  9. #9
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    But is he likely to put his body on the line like ROK. I haven't seen this in him as yet. Good tackler but what about first to the footy.
    I don't see why not. He's played mostly in the midfield at NEAFL level and has racked up contested possessions. And even in the glimpses we've seen of him at senior level he's not shied away from contests, especially in the air. Indeed, he's taken a handful of very good contested marks at that level. I'm not suggesting he's a Jude Bolton, or Luke Parker, or even a 2012 vintage ROK (yet) but I don't think that's what you need in a high half forward, not as the primary attribute anyway.

  10. #10
    Papley Franklin Haywood
    Ronke Reid Cunningham
    Lloyd Kennedy Jones
    Mills Aliir McVeigh
    Smith Melican Rampe
    Naismith Parker Heeney
    Sinclair Hewett Florent O'Riordan
    E: Grundy McCartin Jack, Stoddart

    If the below 5 make it after trade period ?
    Where do they fit in ?

    Vandenberg
    Duryea
    Clarke
    Moore
    Newnes

    - - - Updated - - -

    Liz re Dawson
    I see potential also
    I was trying to think who he is similar top out of current afl players or past ?
    I couldn’t think of a player ?

  11. #11
    You can forget Moore based on what's being said tonight. Of the others, I would think that Vandenberg is a near certainty given his family circumstances, all clubs seem to be willing to allow players to move in situations like that (the only time geography should come into it IMO). The rest are pure speculation.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

  12. #12
    Senior Player Bloody Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    2,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    We are in trouble if that's our midfield. I'm nervous about the Melican, Rampe and Aliir key defender combo as well.
    Doubt they'd extend Grundy's contract if he wasn't playing.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO