Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best 22 for 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Just wondering others thoughts are re Florent and his future pathway of development in 2019/20 ?

Pick 11: Oliver Florent - sydneyswans.com.au

When we watched his draft recruitment video pick 11 we saw a very composed good decision making goal kicking outside player for most of the footage.

Then the later part of the video we saw a standout player playing an inside role in the game that featured the top talent from all states and was the clincher for Kinnear Beatson

I wonder if we will see Ollie moving a little more thru the mid rather then the outside wings in 2019 especially with the likes of Thurlow, ling, stoddart, Clarke etc all pushing for over lapping / HBF running roles

I suspect Florent maybe on a not to dissimilar pathway to hanners past roles at the Swans ?

A young player at 22yrs of age who made a great transition is Jed Anderson at north

Jed slightly smaller in height and weight than Ollie very similar skill set saw Jed in 2017 start to play inside outside then primarily inside for 2018 and really helped north fast inside game

Jeds speed off the mark and fast decision making made him allusive and tough to handle and really helped norths contested exits

This is an area we must keep excelling at and find an edge with our rotation
    Was this written 2-3 years ago? Jed is ex Hawks and is going to be 25 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    They've shown a willingness to select experienced, seasoned players hampered by injury or lack of pre-season but I don't think that's applicable to younger, inexperienced players. Indeed, one of the reasons that was given for a young Mitchell having to bide his time in the NEAFL was that he'd had a series of injuries and needed to build on his fitness.

I have no doubt different standards are applied to different players but I don't think that's unreasonable.

The reference to Melican keeping Aliir out of the side related to 2017, not 2018. It was last season that the club used injury to explain Aliir's absence. Melican was in the team throughout the entire middle part of 2017.

I haven't read much discussion about why it took a while for Aliir to find a spot in the team in 2018, particularly after Melican was injured in round 3. He did come in for round 4 but wasn't given a position in defence, struggled in an unfamiliar role up forward and was dropped after a game. The coaches seemed to prefer Marsh as a third defender replacement for that middle section of the season. I do know - based on watching most of the NEAFL games over that first half of 2018, that Aliir's form wasn't great at the start of the year. He improved greatly as the year went on, which I suggest largely explains why he regained a spot in the team at around the midpoint of the season.
    I don't think Mitchell was injured when he got 63 disposals and still didn't get a game. They treated Mitchell very badly. The reality is not everyone is going to get along with the coach and coaches are human too. They also find ways not to like a particular player. I'm not saying this is the case with Longmire and Aliir but it may have been with Mitchell and I am led to believe Newman as well. The thing we have to remember is that not everyone at a footy club is going to get along. It is a business with bosses and employees. sometimes the bosses just don't like an employee and are stuck with them. sometimes employees don't like their boss but are stuck with them too. it's office politics but on a sporting level. I know I didn't like several of the people I played footy with and most certainly loathed some of my bosses and disliked some of my employees when I was a supervisor. Not all people are going to get along. That's humanity for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Didn't Aliir get injured this year in one of the JLT games? And I'm sure he played very limited NEAFL game time before he was selected for the Bulldogs game so we were all surprised by the decision. He is a player that needs continuity.
    Yes he'd only had one NEAFL game before coming into the side and playing forward. I don't think he was quite ready. It was 2017 I could not fathom. He was playing really well in the reserves and we lost a few tall backs for one match and he still did not get a call up.

When Jed was 22 when he started to make the transition to his new role

Last year this year he has powered thru the middle for the kangas despite being a light midfielder

Ie comparison to Florent ie form HFF to more wing time to more inside mid time maybe 2019 ?

No interest in picking a team yet but the players under consideration for first team and what that means is very interesting. We haven't recruited Clarke, Thurlow or Menzel to play ressies. Add Mills, Naismith, Reid and Melican (and Smith to some extent) to those in the mix for a first team place and it does create a bit of a log jam. My early feeling is that all of our draftees are not intended to be Round 1 picks but Heeney and Mills did come straight in so I guess Blakey may do so. I just feel that it's less likely because of his size and the position he plays.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

A reminder of our team that was picked for our last game in 2018:

B Dane Rampe, Heath Grundy, Jake Lloyd
    HB Daniel Robinson, Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh
    C Harry Cunningham, Josh P. Kennedy, Isaac Heeney
    HF Ben Ronke, Tom McCartin, George Hewett
    F Luke Parker, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
    FOL Callum Sinclair, Zak Jones, Dan Hannebery
    I/C Will Hayward, Oliver Florent, Kieren Jack, Nic Newman

• Injured players returning include Mills, Reid, Melican, Smith, and Naismith.
    • Recruits include Menzel, Clarke, Thurlow, Blakey + other draftees.
    • Dawson and COR are also available.

If you include Blakey, That means that there are up to eleven possible ins with only three definite outs (highlighted).

No wonder it is tough to do a best 22.

Veterans List
    The AFL website has had a go at our best 22 here (for round one anyway): R1, 2019: Who makes the cut in your club's season-opener? - AFL.com.au

B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
    HB: Jake Lloyd, Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh
    C: Zak Jones, Josh Kennedy, Oliver Florent
    HF: Will Hayward, Sam Reid, George Hewett
    F: Ben Ronke, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
    Foll: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney

I/C: Callum Mills, Harry Cunningham, Nick Blakey, Ryan Clarke

Defender depth: Matthew Ling, Jack Maibaum, Lewis Melican, Colin O'Riordan, Harry Reynolds, Jackson Thurlow, Durak Tucker

Forward depth: Jordan Dawson, Kieren Jack, Tom McCartin, Daniel Menzel*, Toby Pink, James Rose, Sam Wicks

Midfield depth: James Bell, Zac Foot, Robbie Fox, Justin McInerney, James Rowbottom, Ryley Stoddart

Ruck depth: Joel Amartey, Darcy Cameron, Sam Naismith

We have good depth so it will be interesting to see what the club comes up with for round one. Injuries will play their part of course as will game plan direction but this team to me seems slightly weaker than the team that was selected for the last game this season with the exception of the inclusion of Reid and maybe Blakey.....time for all those 'depth' players to step it up and turn themselves into valued long term players.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 15th December 2018 at 02:37 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The AFL website has had a go at our best 22 here (for round one anyway): R1, 2019: Who makes the cut in your club's season-opener? - AFL.com.au

B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
    HB: Jake Lloyd, Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh
    C: Zak Jones, Josh Kennedy, Oliver Florent
    HF: Will Hayward, Sam Reid, George Hewett
    F: Ben Ronke, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
    Foll: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney

I/C: Callum Mills, Harry Cunningham, Nick Blakey, Ryan Clarke

Defender depth: Matthew Ling, Jack Maibaum, Lewis Melican, Colin O'Riordan, Harry Reynolds, Jackson Thurlow, Durak Tucker

Forward depth: Jordan Dawson, Kieren Jack, Tom McCartin, Daniel Menzel*, Toby Pink, James Rose, Sam Wicks

Midfield depth: James Bell, Zac Foot, Robbie Fox, Justin McInerney, James Rowbottom, Ryley Stoddart

Ruck depth: Joel Amartey, Darcy Cameron, Sam Naismith

We have good depth so it will be interesting to see what the club comes up with for round one. Injuries will play their part of course as will game plan direction but this team to me seems slightly weaker than the team that was selected for the last game this season with the exception of the inclusion of Reid and maybe Blakey.....time for all those 'depth' players to step it up and turn themselves into valued long term players.

Melican a certainty if fit to play. Gun player if body holds up.

The key area we have been recruiting for has most certainly been rebound via the below players

Ling
    Stoddart
    Thurlow
    McInerney
    Foot
    Reynolds
    Tucker

I would be very surprised if we don’t use one or two of these players through out 2019

If we have indentified our lack of run and carry and as an area of need via so many of our players drafted and recruited last few years being lighter outside players why wouldn’t we start to add one or two of these players in the starting 22
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 15th December 2018 at 06:04 PM.

I expect both Thurlow and COR to be part of our back line next year. Different pathways for each, but both are ripe to make an impact and kick off their AFL careers in a serious way. Ling or Stoddart should be given a shot as our 'wheels' coming out of defence. This setup removes the need to have Mills, Jones and even Lloyd to play back. All can participate in our midfield rotations and spice up our attack.

I like the extra tall coverage Rampe and Thurlow give us, providing a bit more freedom for Aliir as well as generating some good rebound in their own right.

Our midfield depth is better than most best 22 projections, having a fair number of players that can play multiple positions. We've slowly bolstered our KPP stocks and it's more a matter of fitness as to how well we go in this area.

I will not make even a guess at what the team will look like for R1 next year. Several factors present the=mselves as a barrier to making such a prediction;

1. Injury. Before the season even got started several players found themselves on the injury list and Naismith ended up with an ACL. Injuries are always a huge factor in AFL to picking the first round team

2. Form. This might sound stupid but it isn't. The pre-season comp form is a good way to gauge if players are ready to take the next step. Sure teams are not really taking this comp seriously when it comes to wins but players are trying to either impress or cement their spot. With many of the seasoned players not playing the first or second games the emerging players and recruits get to showcase their skills and many talents. In the third game the players the coaches still want to look at, the emerging players and new recruits, who have impressed in the first two games get another go at proving themselves in a much more serious game.

3. Position. Need is an important factor in who gets the nod. What positions need boosting and who are the players displaying good form in those positions in the pre-season games?

We have some real talent sitting on the grass listening to the coaches instructions every training day. Now is the time for the coaches to prove to the players they too have the talent and intuition to change their ways and learn from the mistakes of the past. The players need to have FULL confidence that what they are going to do on the park is positive and can work. The need to know that what they are going to do is not predictable and short-sighted. so therefore the coaches should also be judged by their pre-season performance. This is a one in all in game. If you can't buy into the concept being delivered then that concept is doomed. So there had better be some new conceptions happening here.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas/Solstice/Yom Kippur Katan/The holiday of the birth of the prophet was 5th Dec/Bohdi Day or Rohatsu and if you are an atheist, no God Day.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas/Solstice/Yom Kippur Katan/The holiday of the birth of the prophet was 5th Dec/Bohdi Day or Rohatsu and if you are an atheist, no God Day.
    Attachment 2212
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.