Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B&F predictions and discussion

Veteran Site Admin

B&F predictions and discussion

With the club B&F dinner happening tonight, who do people think will walk away with the honours this year? I think this year is very hard to predict given most of our more celebrated players were slightly down on form this year and/or missed a handful of games.

While I'm not Lloyd's biggest fan (not that I don't appreciate him, I just don't rate him as an A grader - more a very reliable, consistent B grader), he showed last year that the coaches like what he does when he finished equal second. I reckon his 2018 season showed an improvement on last year and, with others not as consistent, I think he'll win his first Bobby Skilton medal this evening.

The player most likely to push him, and maybe pip him, is Parker. I don't think Parker had his best year but he still played a number of excellent games, was otherwise solid, and had to mix his time more between midfield and the forward line than in years past. I hadn't realised until yesterday (reading his season review on the Swans' website) that he kicked 25 goals. That's a pretty decent return.

I have no doubt that Buddy was our most valuable player, and the one who produced the most brilliant football at times. The fact he missed four games, and had another two or three where injury made it hard for him to contribute, mean he's unlikely to win the BS (if he didn't last year, with a more consistent, and less injury curtailed year, it's hard to see him doing it this year.) He might just scrape into the top five.

Hewett finished 5th last year and his 2018 was just as good, possibly better. Rampe, too, was pretty consistent and didn't miss a game. Nor did Sinclair, who was beaten a few times by better ruckmen but was never disgraced, and even when he was beaten, found ways to contribute.

2018 was Kennedy's lowest finish since he joined the club but I suspect he might finish lower again this year. He had some wonderful games but wasn't able to produce as consistently as in past years, and missing a couple of games (including most of the North game where he was injured early) will hurt him.

Heeney mixed the brilliant with the inconsistent. I think he'll start the season polling very well, will tail away in the second half but probably pick up the pace in the last few games of the year. I think he'll be top 10 but top 5 will be a struggle.

So if I have to predict an order for this evening it would be

1 Lloyd
    2 Parker
    3 Hewett
    4 Sinclair
    5 Rampe
    6 Franklin
    7 Kennedy
    8 Heeney
    9 McVeigh
    10 Cunningham

Most improved: Sinclair
    Rising Star: Can't recall if they apply similar rules to the AFL or if it is strictly for a debutant. If the former then Florent, otherwise Ronke.
    Players' player: Franklin
    Last edited by liz; 5th October 2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo

Warming the Bench
    Jake Lloyd for me

Like Liz, he's not my favorite player but he played consistently well over the whole year.

Did he miss any games? 1 maybe

Senior Player
    I'm going for Luke. 25 goals, 6 tackles a game. Just a great player, year in, year out.

They should have a "Local Hero" category, and if they did I'd be voting
    1.Dane
    2.Heeney
    3.Jarrad

But of course, the big question is ; Did Annie manage to scam a ticket?

Yes, the club called me on the Monday after our loss against GW$ offering me a ticket to the event.
    I "politely" turned them down...
    I told them that it's a bit rich that when I was willing and able to buy a ticket in July, they "sold out" in under a minute of going online.
    I told them that to have the first opportunity to buy a ticket to this event removed from our Redback package without notice was also a bit rich. THIS was the reason I became a Redback member, and bought two memberships so that I could take a friend.
    I told them that, isn't it marvelous, that after we lost the game, you "all of a sudden" have tickets available - that's a bit rich too. Must be all the corporates pulling out... who wants to hang out with losers!!
    I don't like it when they treat the members like afterthoughts. They've done it a lot this year, and I really appreciated being able to let them know this in the yearly survey.

I got offered a ticket from goswannies at a heavily discounted rate... I love you to death and back mate, but I'm so pissed off, they don't get to have the pleasure of my company.
    Maybe next year if it's offered as part of my membership package.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'm going for Luke. 25 goals, 6 tackles a game. Just a great player, year in, year out.

They should have a "Local Hero" category, and if they did I'd be voting
    1.Dane
    2.Heeney
    3.Jarrad

But of course, the big question is ; Did Annie manage to scam a ticket?
    Lloyd/Rampe/Parker/Franklin boxed trifecta

Senior Player
    I agree with Liz's other award winners.

Re BSM, agree it's between Lloyd and Parker, but I'm doing for Parker. I largely agree with Liz's order, but think Heeney and Kennedy will be higher, Rampe and Sinclair lower.

Lloyd should win but I was surprised when Parker won last year.

B&Fs are clearly hard to win for key forwards as 2015 aside, Buddy’s been our most influential player in every season he’s been at the club.

I think Sinkers will be in top 3 with Lloyd and Buddy

Veterans List
    Sinkers could actually win it but it's probably between Lloyd and Parker. Buddy and Sinclair should round out the top four.....but what do I know?

Veterans List
    Deleted.....wrong thread.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 5th October 2018 at 07:16 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Is the live stream working for anyone else? Supposedly Andrew Pridham is meant to be speaking right now but I just get a screen with the Swans logo and nought else...

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Is the live stream working for anyone else? Supposedly Andrew Pridham is meant to be speaking right now but I just get a screen with the Swans logo and nought else...
    I can't even find the link to the stream.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast