Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B&F predictions and discussion

Ooowaaaa. Close as. I should have picked Sinca as most improved, don't know why I didn't.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Sound was awful. A number of my mob turned off, just couldn't hear even at full volume. I hung in with speakers of ipad in my ear, but struggled. Vision far better than last year, but kind of pointless when there is almost no sound and I couldn't really watch with ipad turned away. Pity.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    What peeves me is there is no acknowledgement of our NEAFL team, no incentive for guys like Darcy Cameron or Colin O'Riordan who had great year and got into NEAFL team of the year. Nor any fanfare by Swans of getting into 4th GF. Swans management seem to a brain fade for our NEAFL boys and website is a prime example
    I agree. Our ressies had a very good season, and it was the right time and place to recognise their achievements. We (the club) should not give the impression that they are relatively unimportant.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Sound was awful. A number of my mob turned off, just couldn't hear even at full volume. I hung in with speakers of ipad in my ear, but struggled. Vision far better than last year, but kind of pointless when there is almost no sound and I couldn't really watch with ipad turned away. Pity.
    Agree that the sound was dreadful. I had a friend who was at the event and we were sharing texts during the evening. I asked him to see if he could go and find whoever at the venue was responsible for the stream and tell them to turn the sound up but I think he had better things to be doing...

I didn't think much of the overall presentation, even putting the sound issues aside. I used to go to these events and, way back in the 1990s, they actually read out every player's votes for every game. I realise this makes for a long (and probably tedious) evening, but surely there is a middle ground between that and just telling us who the top polling player in each game was. Even just a few years back they would put up on screen (and show it to those watching at home) the top dozen or so vote getters in each game together with their votes. I used to be able to sit and keep a running tally so I knew how close things were at the end.

And if they needed to cut down on the time elsewhere, surely the Life Membership presentations could have been shorter. Many of the people getting life membership nowadays are just long term employees of the club. I'm sure they've given great service and I don't begrudge them life membership of the club but I'm not sure the public is that interested in a ten minute speech about their career. Not for most of them. I'm excluding Andrew Ireland from that. He's been brilliant for the club and he is one whose contributions I reckon many (most?) are interested in hearing about. But I think they probably spent less time last night acknowledging Ireland than they did the other two employees who were awarded life membership.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    What peeves me is there is no acknowledgement of our NEAFL team, no incentive for guys like Darcy Cameron or Colin O'Riordan who had great year and got into NEAFL team of the year. Nor any fanfare by Swans of getting into 4th GF. Swans management seem to a brain fade for our NEAFL boys and website is a prime example
    Couldn't agree more with this. How hard would it be to have a best NEAFL player award to at least acknowledge what the rest of the players spent the year doing. It wouldn't need to be a full blown count done on the night, but an acknowledgement of their efforts would be great. I don't think it was even mentioned during the evening that the team reached the grand final, yet again. Or of the number of players (including academy players and other sundries) who ran out for the team over the season.

Senior Player
    I'm pretty sure Spencer was reading all the player votes more recently than the 1990s. I'd reckon as recently as four or five years ago. I agree it was much better; you got a better appreciation of what the coaches thought of the respective performances and of how players were doing in the count.

Did anyone go? Did they display all of the votes at the event itself?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I'm pretty sure Spencer was reading all the player votes more recently than the 1990s. I'd reckon as recently as four or five years ago. I agree it was much better; you got a better appreciation of what the coaches thought of the respective performances and of how players were doing in the count.

Did anyone go? Did they display all of the votes at the event itself?
    They did, but the full list was not up for very long. And while they had a pic of each player it was not easy to read the numbers and/or keep tabs on them. To do this you would have needed a full list of players in front of you, and even then you'd be going like a Hansard recorder.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

the annual report mag that comes out just before Christmas normally has all the votes in it

Good on you Liz for picking Lloyd. You have a very astute footy brain. I'd love to see you coaching the coaches in the box.

Good on you Jake Lllooooooooooooooooyd.
    Well deserved.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123