Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SA Swans supporters: Christmas dinner

SA Swans supporters: Christmas dinner

Any Adelaide based Swans supporters might be interested in this event ...

The SA Swans Supporter Group have an evening planned for their Christmas Dinner on November 30th this year.

Scott Direen who played with the Sydney Swans from 1993 - 1997 will be joining them for dinner and then providing attendees with an insight into his time at the club. Scott says he is looking forward to the evening.

Scott played with Swans Team of the Century players Darren Cresswell, Mark Bayes, Plugger, Paul Kelly, David Murphy, and Dennis Carroll.
    He also played in the infamous round 18 game, 1993, against St Kilda when the piglet was released on the SCG with Plugger & 4 painted on it.
    And he played under one of the all time great coaches Ron Barassi.

Matt Willmer will be interviewing him (as he did such a great job with Marty Mattner) and it will be really interesting to hear about that period at the club and some of the great players Scott played alongside.

Tickets for the evening are only $29.50 which includes a great choice of main course + a drink as below, the opportunity to meet Scott, door prizes, raffle & silent auctions.

And as a Christmas Bonus our Supporter Club will also provide an additional drink for everybody (beer/wine/bubbles/soft drinks).

Friends and family are welcome to come and celebrate with them too. Please let them know if you would like to attend by 18th November .
    Payment can be made prior to the evening into their bank account or in cash on the night and we will then provide a voucher for your meal/drink deal.

FOOD
    * Grilled or beer battered fish and chips with aioli
    * Lemon pepper squid with chips, salad and aioli
    * Beef or chicken schnitzel with your choice of sauce (gravy, mushroom or peppercorn)
    * Swiss mushroom burger with haloumi, beetroot relish, rocket and citrus aioli
    * Beef burger with bacon, cheddar, gherkin, tomato, cos lettuce and pickled mayo

DRINKS
    * Hahn Super Dry
    * West End Draught
    * James Squire Orchard Crush Apple Cider
    * James Squire 150 Lashes Pale Ale
    * Dunes & Greene Sparkling
    * Yalumba ‘Y-Series’ Sauvignon Blanc
    * Yalumba ‘Y-Series’ Shiraz
    * Soft drink
    * Juice

Please PM me if you want the contact details of the event organiser

Veterans List
    Sounds like it would be a great night! Hope they get a good roll up. Pity I'm in Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Sounds like it would be a great night! Hope they get a good roll up. Pity I'm in Victoria.
    Hope so! You’d be most welcome if you were in the neighbourhood

Sounds great. Where is it being held?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Sounds great. Where is it being held?
    Catherdral Hotel I believe

Yeah it does sound great. I recall seeing match at VFL park where Direen got knocked out cold. I'm wondering if it was that famous 96 game against Richmond where we came back from 18pts down at 3/4 time to win by a few points? It was our first win of season (R3) and Eade's first as coach. Richmond goal denied at the death because of illegal shepherd by Richo on Dunkley on the goal line. If so, would be interesting if Direen has any recollection of it!
    Last edited by KSAS; 7th October 2018 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Yeah it does sound great. I recall seeing match at VFL park where Direen got knocked out cold. I'm wondering if it was that famous 96 game against Richmond where we came back from 18pts down at 3/4 time to win by a few points? It was our first win of season (R3) and Eade's first as coach. Richmond goal denied at the death because of illegal shepherd by Richo on Dunkley on the goal line. If so, would be interesting if Direen has any recollection of it!
    I’ll see if they can ask him

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I remember that game (and that shepherd) but I think it was round 4 and our second win of the season. We beat Collingwood in a very scrappy game in round 3 (after being thrashed in round 1 and soundly beaten in round 2).

Swansational! Much obliged goswannies!

Thanks for the correction Liz, my memory isn't always the best! (I googled it, you're spot on!)
    But I do clearly remember my tiger mate being so angry at the final siren that he threw my Swans scarf over the 1st level railing where we were sitting & trampled on by exiting Richmond supporters (he apologised later).
    Richo admitted it was a free kick to Dunkley when interviewed next day by McAvaney (Talking Footy).
    Last edited by KSAS; 7th October 2018 at 11:10 AM.

Curiousity got the better of me & found this short match highlights on YouTube, which includes the Richo goal shepherd (more like a charge). Plugger 6 goals, Dunkley received 3 votes playing FB (unheard of these days). But no reference to Direen being knocked out My gut feeling is that it did happen in this game.

Rd 4, 1996 - Richmond vs SYDNEY SWANS - YouTube

Edit: Found match stats, Direen credited with only 2 kicks & 2 tackles which gives me confidence he was knocked out early in the game. Played total 41 games for 9 goals (12 wins & 29 losses).
    Last edited by KSAS; 7th October 2018 at 12:46 PM.

Senior Player
    Watching the YouTube clip and others like it.....

You forget just how good Plugger was. He really was at another level.

It was definitely that game. I'm not sure he was ever really the same after that.

The best game I can remember him playing was a rare win against the Blues in late 1994. He brought his own footy that day.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast