Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 2019 ladder prediction for the swans

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I can’t agree on Mcinerney over Clarke. Clarke was one of our best yesterday. Mcinerney has huge potential but needs plenty of work. Would like to see him string together some consistent performances in the NEAFL before rewarding him with a senior debut. He looks good when he is involved but he floats in and out of the game too much at this early stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was a let of negativity about Clarke disposal but his disposal efficiency was 79% which is pretty good in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Sarah Olle of Fox Sport writes the Case for Swans to win the flag in 2019:
    Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
    She's missing one significant point; we won't get an armchair rid from the umpires like the premiers have over the last four years.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    There was a let of negativity about Clarke disposal but his disposal efficiency was 79% which is pretty good in my books.
    Yep, and stats can be misleading but I think he had maybe 2 or 3 bad blunders by hand and foot , but the rest of his disposal was either good or at least decent. Seems like a lot of people only saw the blunders and judge his whole game on those , he had 29 touches and 3 were horrible. He does need to learnt to hand pass with both hands though , that has gotten him into trouble a few times already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's missing one significant point; we won't get an armchair rid from the umpires like the premiers have over the last four years.
    The siege mentality doesn't really get us anywhere. It's good to have a vent now and then, but the idea that the umpires systematically favour one side is frankly ridiculous. Move on to more substantive things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    The siege mentality doesn't really get us anywhere. It's good to have a vent now and then, but the idea that the umpires systematically favour one side is frankly ridiculous. Move on to more substantive things.
    Clearly you haven't seen the stats on frees for/against over the last decade. It was published on here about a year ago. We were on the bottom, and by a country mile.

Clearly you haven't seen the stats on frees for/against over the last decade. It was published on here about a year ago. We were on the bottom, and by a country mile.
    Yes, I have seen those stats, but I don't think a persecution complex helps anyone. The stats are troubling, but not even remotely conclusive. There are legitimate concerns about the League's attitude to the Swans, but the idea that they are all conspiring against us at the highest level is just paranoid rubbish. We should devote our energies to dealing with real stuff, like CoLA and the academies. Every club has its disputes with AFL, and what we need is strong and consistent advocacy to ensure our voice is heard, not retreating into petty obsessions.

Yes, I have seen those stats, but I don't think a persecution complex helps anyone. The stats are troubling, but not even remotely conclusive. There are legitimate concerns about the League's attitude to the Swans, but the idea that they are all conspiring against us at the highest level is just paranoid rubbish. We should devote our energies to dealing with real stuff, like CoLA and the academies. Every club has its disputes with AFL, and what we need is strong and consistent advocacy to ensure our voice is heard, not retreating into petty obsessions.
    I wouldn't describe it as a petty obsession. The bias is evident in the statistics and 3 years ago almost certainly cost us a premiership (the league had their own enquiry, foundung the umpiring was not acceptable).

What's not certain is why this happens. I really don't think it is our game style. My theory is that it is response bias. There is always crap in the media about our lock down style. Umps see what they expect to see. An example was the recent farce where league cracked down on holding...

Category: | Herald Sun

Or maybe maybe umpires are like bulls when they see red.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

I am pretty bullish about this season but I think the key will revolve around our form at home. In our first 10 rounds, we play five teams at home who are very strong (Adelaide, Melbourne, GWS, Essendon, Collingwood). Compare this to the away games of Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Richmond, Lions, and North Melbourne.

I would expect us to win at least three of our away games and more likely four but I am really unsure of the home games. If we can regain our edge at the SCG and be 7-3 or 6-4 by round 10, I give ourselves a great chance.

Senior Player
    The umpiring in the 2017 and 2018 GFs were fine.

Veterans List

"Yes, I have seen those stats, but I don't think a persecution complex helps anyone."
    ......because the league ignores the concerns of anyone outside of Victoria.

"There are legitimate concerns about the League's attitude to the Swans, but the idea that they are all conspiring against us at the highest level is just paranoid rubbish."
    ......2016 GF....case rested. Their 'not conspiring against us' cost us a premiership!

"We should devote our energies to dealing with real stuff, like CoLA and the academies."
    ....well COLA is gone, never to return but I agree with you on the academies.

"Every club has its disputes with AFL, and what we need is strong and consistent advocacy to ensure our voice is heard, not retreating into petty obsessions." ......some disputes are warranted, (the way we are adjudicated) some are just petty opportunism (Eddie McGuire on just about everything). A GF loss and consistent loss of free kick counts due to cheating umpires is not a 'petty obsession'.....it's about avoiding the prospect of all our future efforts to win a premiership being a waste of time.....

It's all about that ol' chestnut....'a level playing field.'

Senior Player
    I don't believe the league is conspiring against the Swans, but there is definitely some unconscious bias at play here. Those stats that stretch over many years and entirely different teams do not lie. Further, the 2016 GF was clearly unfairly adjudicated by biased umpires. They may not have meant it to be one-sided, but it was one-sided nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    I don't believe the league is conspiring against the Swans, but there is definitely some unconscious bias at play here. Those stats that stretch over many years and entirely different teams do not lie. Further, the 2016 GF was clearly unfairly adjudicated by biased umpires. They may not have meant it to be one-sided, but it was one-sided nonetheless.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=331aWvUaAmc

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast