Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coaching staff 2019 and beyond

I have a foot in both camps. Our midfield was comprehensively beaten nearly every week this year....we barely won an inside 50 count at all...however our defence and forwards generally outperformed others (factoring in the massively lopsided inside 50 count)....so....if we can fix this one thing we will be contenders....if not, we won't. So you have to question Brett Kirk and Dean Cox....
    On the other hand, as a general rule, the best players make the worst coaches - Hird, Voss, Leppitsch, Frawley, Watson anyone??? Buckley has taken 9 years to (possibly) become a decent coach. 9. Years. The players who should make the best coaches are those who REALLY had to work on their own games and then did so to become champions DESPITE not being very innately talented. So, by my theory Brett Kirk, de-listed rookie who became an All Australian, premiership player, captain and (I'm guessing) club champion, fits that bill perfectly. He is also very intelligent, unselfish and a real people person.Don't forget the Cox was a rookie too, so it's not like he had it on a silver platter. In my opinion Hird, Voss and Buckley - the tripod of legendary players from when I first became hooked on football, literally cannot comprehend what it is like to play the game without the talents they possessed themselves. - and that is why they failed as coaches. Maybe, just maybe, Buckley has learned from his failure and will prove to be a decent coach. If he had been coaching any other team, with any other president he would have been fired last year. Leigh Matthews is the great exception. Malthouse, Sheedy and Thompson were moderately talented players who had to fight and scrap to get every last ounce out of themselves, but rose to become champions anyway. that would be the preferred pedigree for a coach because he needs to inspire that grit in 44 players under his management. Can you imagine having that charm magnet Michael Voss as a coach? "Geez Brendan I don't understand why you didn't kill that first bloke, fend off the second, carry half the team on your own back, do a 360 then kick it post high from 50 on your left? - That's what I would have done! what's wrong with you, you useless mongrel?"
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Is Paul Roos another exception to this coaching rule (like Matthews)? Longmire did kick 98 goals in a single season as a 19yo if I recall correctly? Not sure if he also fits the expcetion of a champion making a good coach category. Have gut feeling Rhyce Shaw will make a good senior coach as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Is Paul Roos another exception to this coaching rule (like Matthews)? Longmire did kick 98 goals in a single season as a 19yo if I recall correctly? Not sure if he also fits the expcetion of a champion making a good coach category. Have gut feeling Rhyce Shaw will make a good senior coach as well.
    Longmire got injured and had to fight like a less talented player after that. So I think can see both POV

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Not sure why you are critical of Brett Kirk or why you have forgotten he was an inspiring gun as a player. He is one of the few assistant coaches going around with the highest accredited qualifications which Stewart Dew acquired as well. He is also steeped in the Bloods culture as one of the founders in or around 2003. Accordingly, he gave everything in each game he played. Lachie Neale, for one, has acknowledged him as a huge influence along with Hanneberry, Jack and McVeigh. I for one would be happy to see him as senior coach.
    And dont forget Nat Fyfe's acknowledgment of Kirky in his Brownlow acceptance speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    And dont forget Nat Fyfe's acknowledgment of Kirky in his Brownlow acceptance speech.
    Tell more. What did he say?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Tell more. What did he say?
    Kirk's influence 'enormous' on Fyfe - sydneyswans.com.au

Regular in the Side
    We need a replacement for Rhyce Shaw. But still no news !? Will they just leave it vacant and wait for McVeigh next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We need a replacement for Rhyce Shaw. But still no news !? Will they just leave it vacant and wait for McVeigh next year?
    In my opinion we could do worse.

Maybe waiting for Ross Lyon to get the sack

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Maybe waiting for Ross Lyon to get the sack
    OMG please no.

Regular in the Side
    There is a piece about ROK today at Swans great provides success blueprint for homesick Cat - AFL.com.au . He and the Crows have parted ways and is having some media commitments afterwards. Will he be an option to fill our vacant assistant coach job ? Will he be interested to come back to Sydney? Have we tried to get him? Will he be a good fit? Our coaching panel is relatively smaller than many other teams. I don't like the assistant coach job remaining vacant.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    There is a piece about ROK today at Swans great provides success blueprint for homesick Cat - AFL.com.au . He and the Crows have parted ways and is having some media commitments afterwards. Will he be an option to fill our vacant assistant coach job ? Will he be interested to come back to Sydney? Have we tried to get him? Will he be a good fit? Our coaching panel is relatively smaller than many other teams. I don't like the assistant coach job remaining vacant.
    I don't think the situations are particularly comparable.

O'Keefe was out of contract and so was able to move to another club (albeit that this was before free agency and moving clubs - to a specific club - was a little harder back then). He chose to stay at the Swans. Kelly didn't have a choice as he is still in contract.

O'Keefe was well into his career and I've never believed homesickness had anything to do with him toying with the idea of a move. It was about money and the chance to play in the midfield, both of which were provided by the Swans once he recommitted. From what's been written about Kelly, it's not so much that he wants away from Geelong as that his wife wants to be back in WA where she will have more family support to help raise three young children. That's similar to the main reason why Jetta wanted to leave the Swans, and why Jolly asked for a trade (and he was still in contract). That situation isn't going to change.

I can't see there being any issues between Kelly and the Cats. They are a well run club that doesn't generally crack the sads when a player wants to leave (unlike a couple of other clubs). They will understand his reasons and I don't imagine there will be any tension between Kelly and the club. He'll just put his head down, work hard, try and emulate the season he's just had, and probably look to be traded at the end of 2019.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast