Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coaching staff 2019 and beyond

I'm a bit disappointed in the appointment of Laidlaw and Perris to basically look after the NEAFL side. We dont seem to take the NEAFL side seriously which is where much our next gen stars are nurtured till they are ready for consideration for the Senior 22. I would love for the Swans to appoint a seasoned coach / mentor who can be with the NEAFL side all year to work on their skills, tactics and development for the good of the Swans future.Neither Laidlaw (one year out of playing) and Perri's are not really experienced and our NEAFL side is going to be very young in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed in the appointment of Laidlaw and Perris to basically look after the NEAFL side. We dont seem to take the NEAFL side seriously which is where much our next gen stars are nurtured till they are ready for consideration for the Senior 22. I would love for the Swans to appoint a seasoned coach / mentor who can be with the NEAFL side all year to work on their skills, tactics and development for the good of the Swans future.Neither Laidlaw (one year out of playing) and Perri's are not really experienced and our NEAFL side is going to be very young in 2019
    My theory with those two appointments are they're treading water until Macca is ready to coach. I could be wrong, Perris could be the next Roos / Clarkson appointment!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    I find that comment to be a bit strange.

There's zero evidence that the club doesn't take the NEAFL side seriously. The team has performed extremely well over a long period of time, making the Grand Final multiple times despite often relying on a large and rotating number of academy players and other ring-ins. Last year they could have been forgiven for dropping their heads a bit after losing the first four games, yet they hung in there and improved and yet again made the Grand Final.

Compare the consistency of performance of the Swans NEAFL side with those of the other three AFL sides. All of them have had a much higher number of high draft picks available, yet their performances don't come close to those of the Swans over the extended period. I acknowledge that all three of the clubs have, at times, suffered worse injury stretches than the worst of the Swans', yet even when they have had strong squads available, the Swans have generally held their own against them.

Shaw came straight out of playing and took over coaching of the NEAFL side. He did a very good job with them. I don't think it is disrespectful of the club to appoint a very young, inexperienced coach to oversee the side. Rather, it's a model that seems to have worked well. These young development coaches don't work with their squad in isolation. They have John Blakey overseeing them, and all the coaching staff participate in the development of all players in the squad. The entire listed squad trains together all the time and most of the U19 Academy squad also attend some of the professional squad's training sessions.

Maybe we should wait until the NEAFL team comes close to failing one season before negatively evaluating its coaching set-up.

Its not negatively evaluating the NEAFL coaching, Liz, its just my thoughts in looking at how we can ensure we dedicate / appoint coaches for this side. As you said, they have made the GF 4 years in a row with this year's loss particularly galling because of the quirky NEAFL rules which gave Southport an advantage of sorts.
    I agree that Shaw is one out of the box and is very suited to the coaching gig with his experience, footy knowledge, enthusiasm and encouragement being rewarded by his promotion to senior ranks and noticed by other teams.
    My thought bubble is more about having an experienced body helping the young coaches, that's all. Blakey certainly overseas all the coaching I agree but does he have enough time to dedicate to the NEAFL and attend all their games
    Simple as that, Liz, no denigrating of past and current coaches, just want the best dedicated coaching resources so our NEAFL talent can grow and force selectors to play them in the seniors

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    As I see it, it only makes sense for the NEAFL coach to be appointed from within. The primary goal of the NEAFL team is to prepare the youngsters to be ready to play senior football in the Swans’s style/gameplan. It’s not to win the NEAFL premiership to the chagrin of some.

Hiring an experienced coach (not even sure who would fall in this category - Eade or Malthouse??) who will have their own ideas which may be contrary to the Swans’ would be counterproductive.

Senior Player
    Yep don’t have any problem with the appointments

I’m actually pleasantly surprised the club has looked externally to appoint Lloyd

Not talking about having a Malthouse type, Ludwig, more an experienced mentor, one whose role is exactly that, not one on the senior coaching panel. I'm just trying to provide our young players with some extra expertise. Again just my thoughts for what they are worth. Having played in SANFL, I found it of benefit for me personally as I was 17 and had plenty to learn having come straight out of school in Tasmania. That's all I'm saying

Senior Player
    I wouldn’t be at all surprised that they wanted Alex Johnson to be one of the NEAFL coaches but he didn’t want to do accept it. Purely speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    I wouldn’t be at all surprised that they wanted Alex Johnson to be one of the NEAFL coaches but he didn’t want to do accept it. Purely speculation on my part.
    That seems plausible to me, and potentially the reason for the delayed appointment of Lloyd Perris.

Veterans List
    ROK won't be joining us any time soon......

Former Swan appointed coach of Western Jets in TAC Cup - AFL.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I was thinking, isn't this kind of a series of demotions for Pebbles? Notwithstanding that he has completed the level 4 coaching certificate.

I always got the impression there must have been a major falling out with Longmire at the end. Can’t see him returning under the current regime.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast