Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coaching staff 2019 and beyond

Coaching staff 2019 and beyond

If we all think back to Longmire taking over from Roos I was apprehensive

I really would have preferred Roos to stay

I didn’t think Horse would be able to improve on what Paul had started and achieved with the swans but Longmire did

I am not scared of change but I also don’t believe in change for change sake.

I do think performance is a strong benchmark and systems and personnel in place to key high performance is key

I do think though we should be looking at our succession planning now. The next few years I real Horse is the man unless we slide too much down the table

I also don’t feel any of the assistant coaches now are head coach material

I would like to propose that we should be targeting someone else for our midfield coaching in the near future ie for 2020 with the view to making them head coach by 2022/23 if they are successful

Their success with our midfield is key and their internal promotion like Longmire was after Roos is in my opinion our best bet unless we scored an Alistair Clarkson etc

The midfield depth right now after trade week is the most leveled out across the competition in my opinion.

The talent is spread very very well amongst the top 12 teams minimum

We need to be looking for any advantage right now that we can. One of the ways we can boost our midfield performance is bring in a serious emerging coach. someone who can come in and truly be a coach to drive our midfield to the next level and possibly be a succession for head coach in the next 3-5yrs

If this midfield coach doesn’t fit and or doesn’t perform then we make that change quickly to remove them

My gut feeling is that Kirk, cox and stevie J are all good coaches but for me not head coach level and this makes a real difference in grooming a possible new head coach in day 3yrs or so from now.

I love Kirky but I think we have fallen behind in our midfield vs the top 10 teams and we need every edge we can

I do feel though that we should be targeting someone for 2020 that will bring a different vibe energy experience and take charge of our midfield

Harley added to the top role for now is enough change in senior management. and consolidation with cox and stevie J is important this season coming

Harley and Longmire working together effectively is an important combo for the next couple of years minimum

I do feel though that bringing in a serious emerging coach with incredible football success would rejuvenate our midfield.

If this was our strategy I would lean towards a Michael Voss type personality, experience, success as a player and learnt under some very good coaches as a player and a coach. He learnt the hard way with a non Vic club and would be wiser for it.

What’s your opinion ?

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    I agree there is a need for a succession plan, previously I thought Stewie Dew was the anointed one.

I hope we can move Kirk on as soon as possible, I said in another post he was a good average player who to me doesn't have any credentials to be a coach. He may be better suited to player welfare.

I wouldn't write Stevie J off just yet, he has been continuously touted as senior coach material. If he moves to either mids coach or to a senior strategy role and is successful then he may well be worthy to step up.

The main question is who, is out there that is or could be available to move into a senior support role?
    sprite

I wouldnt worry about it. Longmire will be here for another 5 years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    I agree there is a need for a succession plan, previously I thought Stewie Dew was the anointed one.

I hope we can move Kirk on as soon as possible, I said in another post he was a good average player who to me doesn't have any credentials to be a coach. He may be better suited to player welfare.

I wouldn't write Stevie J off just yet, he has been continuously touted as senior coach material. If he moves to either mids coach or to a senior strategy role and is successful then he may well be worthy to step up.

The main question is who, is out there that is or could be available to move into a senior support role?
    Dew may still be an option. The move to Suns fits with the not uncommon model across many fields of a shift sideways in order to move up within the original organisation.

Senior Player

Not sure why you are critical of Brett Kirk or why you have forgotten he was an inspiring gun as a player. He is one of the few assistant coaches going around with the highest accredited qualifications which Stewart Dew acquired as well. He is also steeped in the Bloods culture as one of the founders in or around 2003. Accordingly, he gave everything in each game he played. Lachie Neale, for one, has acknowledged him as a huge influence along with Hanneberry, Jack and McVeigh. I for one would be happy to see him as senior coach.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Not sure why you are critical of Brett Kirk or why you have forgotten he was an inspiring gun as a player. He is one of the few assistant coaches going around with the highest accredited qualifications which Stewart Dew acquired as well. He is also steeped in the Bloods culture as one of the founders in or around 2003. Accordingly, he gave everything in each game he played. Lachie Neale, for one, has acknowledged him as a huge influence along with Hanneberry, Jack and McVeigh. I for one would be happy to see him as senior coach.
    Agreed, and to further add that the list of successful professional coaches in this sport is littered with former players considered to be of not much better than average ability, who got the absolute best out of themselves.

Regular in the Side
    Umm "inspiring gun player", as Jack Dyer would good average player with limited skills. The only thing he had going was a solid tagger, he may be a motivator and that could be his strength.

Since he took over the mids this year - what happened with the same cattle from previous year - we went backwards. He didn't change anything.
    sprite

Senior Player
    Umm "inspiring gun player", as Jack Dyer would good average player with limited skills. The only thing he had going was a solid tagger, he may be a motivator and that could be his strength.

Since he took over the mids this year - what happened with the same cattle from previous year - we went backwards. He didn't change anything.
    I feel like the Mills injury had a serious impact on the midfield.

Senior Player

So he's responsible for physical decline of Hanneberry and Jack and has had nothing to do with development of Hewitt and Heeney?

Regular in the Side
    So he's responsible for physical decline of Hanneberry and Jack and has had nothing to do with development of Hewitt and Heeney?
    No, he wasn't. But the structures and style of play didn't change. Hewett developed into an excellent tagger while Heeney floated in and out the centre while playing predominantly as a forward.

It's my opinion and I don't see him as the messiah, just a good average battler with great interpersonal skills.
    sprite

Senior Player
    No, he wasn't. But the structures and style of play didn't change. Hewett developed into an excellent tagger while Heeney floated in and out the centre while playing predominantly as a forward.

It's my opinion and I don't see him as the messiah, just a good average battler with great interpersonal skills.

Don't see him as a messiah or the new Dalai Llama but reckon he'd be more than adequate.. By the way, if you put emphasis on average football skills, if you look in the dictionary under 'absolute battler', there's a picture of Alistair Clarkson there. Kirk three times the player he was.

I don't buy into this average player = average coach idea. If anything I think it's gifted player that struggle to explain what came naturally to them.
    One thing Kirk has less of compared to Dew is experience.

2019 feels like the year when we will really find out how good our list and our coaches are.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast