Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tom Harley

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think, like getting blood from a stone, his strengths are being listed as:
    - He knew about Swans players during his commentary days.
    - Andrew Ireland speaks highly of him.

Here are his Weaknesses:
    - Not experience at executive level.
    - Poor trading period this year.

I'd say there are 3 KPI's a Swans CEO has to hit:
    - Keep support level up, or increase (Sponsors, members)
    - Maintain or improve revenue.
    - Maintain or improve ladder position.

These are all lag indicators. They dont manifest until the problem is well entrenched. So we've got to judge him early to avoid disaster
    We've been very good at the succession plan when giving out roles to people at our club. Sure that can change for the worse but thus far, Harley has done nothing wrong in his roles at the Swans & he has been groomed by the best in Andrew Ireland. Sometimes you just have to make a decision go with it just as we did with Roos when a more credentialed person in Wallace had the coaching job in his hands & in Harley's case, I'm sure this was planned early.
    The trade period isn't a fail at all. Two players chose to stay at their current clubs. Fail is when you throw $1.2M for 6 years at Kelly, Martin etc, etc & they turn it down.
    Anyway, time will tell & Harley's certainly seems capable & surrounded by good mentors.

If you dont think the trade period was a fail, then I like the taste of your kool aid.

Harley has not got the runs on the board or the credentials for the role. But the club has had a very close look at him for a significant period of time, so they know more than we do and are prepared to take the calculated risk.

Whether we failed or not at trade time is subjective. We used it to manage our cap stress, but didn't land the big fish we all wanted. You could go either way.

If you dont think the trade period was a fail, then I like the taste of your kool aid.
    I think it was a neutral trade period. We didn't lose nor win to a major extent. I don't know what kool aid is. I'm happy with my beer and wine.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I think it was a neutral trade period. We didn't lose nor win to a major extent. I don't know what kool aid is. I'm happy with my beer and wine.
    It is quite confusing as the 'kool aid' refers the 1978 Jonestown massacre, which was really a mass suicide, so it sounds like barry is so distraught about Harley becoming CEO, he's contemplating 'drinking the kool aid', meaning he's contemplating taking his own life. It's a bit dramatic methinks. It's not like Eddie McGuire's becoming CEO.

So we've got to judge him early to avoid disaster
    Are you saying that the judgement of RWO users will somehow affect the performance of Tom Harley? That we are forced to be critical because the future of the club is at stake?
    Delusions of that magnitude are perfect for this forum. Well done!

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    Are you saying that the judgement of RWO users will somehow affect the performance of Tom Harley? That we are forced to be critical because the future of the club is at stake?
    Barry wants to judge him based on one trade period and a perceived lack of experience to do the job, despite Andrew Pridham, Andrew Ireland and the board deciding he is the best candidate for the role.

Jeez, he has only just taken over the reigns about three or four weeks ago.
    sprite

No

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It is quite confusing as the 'kool aid' refers the 1978 Jonestown massacre, which was really a mass suicide, so it sounds like barry is so distraught about Harley becoming CEO, he's contemplating 'drinking the kool aid', meaning he's contemplating taking his own life. It's a bit dramatic methinks. It's not like Eddie McGuire's becoming CEO.
    No

Surely it’s time that the Swans board includes a representative from RWO.

Senior Player
    Delusions are what keeps this forum going although there are degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Surely it’s time that the Swans board includes a representative from RWO.
    Nominations? I'd go Liz for the Sensible Party, Ludwig for the Radicals, SSBleeder for the Cory Saint Bernardis, and Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Nominations? I'd go Liz for the Sensible Party, Ludwig for the Radicals, SSBleeder for the Cory Saint Bernardis, and Barry.
    Head says Liz, heart says Ludwig

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast