Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Harley

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think that was intended as a joke......I'll take as that.
    Yep. I'm sure Baz would be cacking himself.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Oh yeah, the oft held myth of the 'real world'......exposing yourself to corporate governance doesn't always make you a better person......often it makes one an asshole.
    Mike Fitzpatrick springs to mind for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Tom Harley doesn't need experience. He has my phone number.
    From what I have seen, Tom Harley has the right temperament to make decisions and run an organisation of this size.

Tom appears to know what to say in the moment and who to ask for advice: Andrew Ireland (Ludwig if Andrew is unavailable). I would imagine that Brian Cook is also a mentor for Harley.

Veterans List
    Not sure how anyone on here can make a comment on Tom Harley as I doubt posters have any knowledge of how he actually performs other than seeing/hearing him in the media where he always seems professional and measured in what he says.

For those disappointed in our trade period, and I'm not one of them, this is not a Harley run show, there's quite a number of people having input and making the decisions.

That Andrew Ireland and the Board appointed Harley as future CEO is endorsement enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Not sure how anyone on here can make a comment on Tom Harley as I doubt posters have any knowledge of how he actually performs other than seeing/hearing him in the media where he always seems professional and measured in what he says.

For those disappointed in our trade period, and I'm not one of them, this is not a Harley run show, there's quite a number of people having input and making the decisions.

That Andrew Ireland and the Board appointed Harley as future CEO is endorsement enough for me.
    Exactly.
    At least let the guy sit in the seat for a while before passing judgement.
    Thus far he has shown nothing but strength in his role.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Tunnel View Post
    Exactly.
    At least let the guy sit in the seat for a while before passing judgement.
    Thus far he has shown nothing but strength in his role.
    Interesting. Can you list his "show of strengths" ?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Interesting. Can you list his "show of strengths" ?
    He has answered the question honestly of why we couldn't land Langdon or VDB saying they chose to stay at their current clubs & that we are confident in the our list's natural improvement to come & with the two boys Clarke & Thurlow added, that should allow us to still throw Mills & Jones into the middle.

But if you see him as a poor performer thus far then show me your your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Tunnel View Post
    He has answered the question honestly of why we couldn't land Langdon or VDB saying they chose to stay at their current clubs & that we are confident in the our list's natural improvement to come & with the two boys Clarke & Thurlow added, that should allow us to still throw Mills & Jones into the middle.

But if you see him as a poor performer thus far then show me your your list.
    I'm just interested in what "Thus far he has shown nothing but strength in his role." means?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I'm just interested in what "Thus far he has shown nothing but strength in his role." means?
    Probably means he has shown no 'weakness'.....but yes, happy to see your list.

I can't see why else we would have anointed Tom Harley as Andrew Ireland's successor if we weren't already convinced about his potential/ability to take the job on. We have a recent history of succession planning but we are also careful about it. We gave Harley 12 months to audition and develop under Ireland's tutelage before the handover. Does anyone really think that we'd have handed the job on to someone who the club (including the outgoing head of football) and the board felt wasn't up to it? We are too significant a club with too much at stake to allow that to happen. While the AFL might continue to nobble who we can take on as players, I suspect that the level of senior corporate backers and influencers we have, given the nature of our supporter base, wouldn't allow poor governance to happen.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Probably means he has shown no 'weakness'.....but yes, happy to see your list.
    What strange logic exists that when I ask for some evidence to back up a statement, it gets turned around that I have to now produce counter evidence?.

Convince me "he has shown nothing but strength in his role" with at least something other than he hasn't made a massive blunder yet?

There seems to be little to no substance in this thread. Everyone is going off of impressions. I agree he can seem quiet cold when hes being interviewed, but there is literally nothing of substance to judge him on yet, except maybe Shaw leaving and a weaker than usual trade period, two things which can be hardly blamed entirely on him or seen as his fault.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast