Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Harley

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Yeah. Let's get some experienced corporate types like those we've seen before the banking royal commission. Overpaid inbred corporate ladder climbers whose only skill appears to be owning the achievements of others and disowning their own failures. Without doubt the moral bottom-feeders of society. There. I've had my say! Now let's get back to footy.
    +2

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Oh yeah, the oft held myth of the 'real world'......exposing yourself to corporate governance doesn't always make you a better person......often it makes one an asshole.
    Not sure whether you really mean "corporate governance" in this post, or more generally "the corporate world". Exposing yourself to (sound) corporate governance principles can never be a bad thing. From the snippets that have been released to the public, sound corporate governance, and broader compliance systems and ethical policies, seem to have been severely lacking in many of the big financial institutions. But that doesn't mean they are completely lacking in all companies. I've worked for some companies that have shown a great deal of respect for compliance and corporate governance, and who have been very successful commercially while doing so.

On Tom Harley, I think he might actually have an MBA. But having an MBA doesn't equip one to run a $30m pa turnover business. Only experience and learning from the right people (and somewhat from your own mistakes) can help you do that. I do think Harley is pretty inexperienced in aspects of running a football club other than the football department itself, and even his experience in that department is relatively short. Only time will tell whether he has what it takes. The strongest endorsement is that he would have worked very closely with Andrew Ireland for the last few years, and I reckon Andrew's experience and track record present a strong case for him being one of the very best in the football business. I doubt he would have been appointed as CEO unless Andrew believed he was capable of it.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, I've shifted posts about Harley and other related (non list management) issues out of the trading and list management thread. Or at least, if anyone is reading this shortly after I've posted it, I'm about to go and do so.

Yeah. Let's get some experienced corporate types like those we've seen before the banking royal commission. Overpaid inbred corporate ladder climbers whose only skill appears to be owning the achievements of others and disowning their own failures. Without doubt the moral bottom-feeders of society. There. I've had my say! Now let's get back to footy.

Rash generalisation
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Andrew Ireland came to us from Brisbane and was successful at both clubs

What was his background in football admin prior to that ?

Tom Harley doesn't need experience. He has my phone number.

The one key area I would like Tom as the new CEO to improve is the communication with Swans supporters particularly using social media. Andrew Ireland at the beginning of this last season said how important social media was and yet our website sucks, player information is sadly so out of date, updates on inuries is lacking transparency, information of both the AFL and NEAFL is not timely, more reactive. The NEAFL side information is an afterthought and in fact is far far better and informative on this site. Lets hope Tom has this as one of his priorities on his bucket list. Im sure all supporters would appreciate it and you never know it might drive more members/ supporters!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Yeah, but he's not a dickhead.
    Tom is a dickhead, as is Stevie J. Has Tom got the "corporate" background experience that Andrew Ireland has?
    I think not.
    I think the exodus of our coaching staff has a lot to do with Tom Harley.
    What a load of rubbish!

Easy comrade. The revolution is not scheduled to start until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Tom Harley doesn't need experience. He has my phone number.
    ....permanently blocked....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Easy comrade. The revolution is not scheduled to start until next week.
    Easy comrade? Wow.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Easy comrade? Wow.....
    You challenge some people, that makes you a communist. Cos only communists dislike the modern corporate mentality. Everyone else LOVES it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    You challenge some people, that makes you a communist. Cos only communists dislike the modern corporate mentality. Everyone else LOVES it.
    I think that was intended as a joke......I'll take as that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast