Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 69

Thread: Tom Harley

  1. #1
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,428

    Tom Harley

    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Head of Football... with no coaching experience.
    I think he's as poisonous, if not more, than Stevie J.
    Andrew Ireland was the best head of football the AFL has seen and he had no coaching experience.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

  2. #2
    RWOs Black Sheep AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    At Goodesy's Place
    Posts
    10,824
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Andrew Ireland was the best head of football the AFL has seen and he had no coaching experience.
    Yeah, but he's not a dickhead.
    Tom is a dickhead, as is Stevie J. Has Tom got the "corporate" background experience that Andrew Ireland has?
    I think not.
    I think the exodus of our coaching staff has a lot to do with Tom Harley.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

  3. #3
    recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Stanmore
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Getting Jackson Thurlow makes the trade period a resounding success. He's the kind of player who has some real underlying talent, but hasn't been able to show it at Geelong, in part due several injuries. By no way is he a sure thing, but a real chance to be a good player for us. Plays in right position as well.

    How good a CEO could Ireland be if he chose Tom Harley as Head of Football? So you're saying the best CEO in the business chose a dickhead to run football operations, but wasn't clever enough to realise that Tom was a dickhead.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Check out what's happening this year. Not a joke.

    People are being harsh to compare Harley with Ireland, the best in the business.

    If Harley is only half as good, we are still way ahead!
    doof-doof

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Sounds like Grohan 2.0. I don't know much about him but wasn't he one of the players that tore us a new one in the finals last year?
    That was a whole team full of players that day IIRC

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    People are being harsh to compare Harley with Ireland, the best in the business.

    If Harley is only half as good, we are still way ahead!
    Problem is, I’m getting the vibe here that he’s not even co sidered one tenth as good. Time will tell I guess

  5. #5
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    keysborough
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Harley's outside run is pretty good. I saw him running outside closely followed by a woman with a baseball bat. It might have been AnnieH.
    LOL big time.

  6. #6

    Tom Harley

    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    A sensible appraisal of all things Swans atm.....as opposed to Barrett's 'fake news' drivel.....and a lesson to some posters here on how to 'chill'. I, like Harley and Horse, have massive confidence in our list and future. Our best 22 can be a powerful team.
    I don't understand all the negativity surrounding Harley on this site. He was a mighty popular and highly respected captain at Geelong and not because he was an elite footballer, he wasn't. It was because he was thought of as a good leader and was a highly respected human being.
    I agree if we can get our best 22 on the park and in form we will be formidable.

  7. #7
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    6,385
    Quote Originally Posted by moocher View Post
    I don't understand all the negativity surrounding Harley on this site. He was a mighty popular and highly respected captain at Geelong and not because he was an elite footballer, he wasn't. It was because he was thought of as a good leader and was a highly respected human being.
    I agree if we can get our best 22 on the park and in form we will be formidable.
    I agree with you about Harley. On my admittedly scanty knowledge I think very highly of him and think he has mastered the Horse approach to journalists: be polite, tell the truth and don't say more than you need to.

    I also think he's highly regarded by his peers, both on the football side and the management side. As is so often the case, we got a good one.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I agree with you about Harley. On my admittedly scanty knowledge I think very highly of him and think he has mastered the Horse approach to journalists: be polite, tell the truth and don't say more than you need to.

    I also think he's highly regarded by his peers, both on the football side and the management side. As is so often the case, we got a good one.
    Great footballers don't make great dentists, engineers, doctors or CEO's. I think he's to inexperienced at a corporate level to run a $30m business. I mean, does he even have an MBA?
    He may become a great corporate leader but I wish he practiced somewhere else first while he hones his skills.
    Just my opinion.

  9. #9
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Great footballers don't make great dentists, engineers, doctors or CEO's. I think he's to inexperienced at a corporate level to run a $30m business. I mean, does he even have an MBA?
    He may become a great corporate leader but I wish he practiced somewhere else first while he hones his skills.
    Just my opinion.
    In general I agree with what you have said there.
    I've said the same thing a few times regarding AJ etc
    You get the best person for the job, and having played the game should count for something, but not much.

    I see Harley's case as a bit different because there is no way in hell he would have got to where he has so quickly (within a professional organisation) without having the goods.
    I dare say his elevation has been organic, deserved and eagerly allowed to happen.
    As usual we don't know anything about his expertise, so we can only trust in the club making the right decisions at board level, and in recent history they have nailed it so no reason to start doubting now, without any real reasons.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  10. #10
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,428
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Great footballers don't make great dentists, engineers, doctors or CEO's. I think he's to inexperienced at a corporate level to run a $30m business. I mean, does he even have an MBA?
    He may become a great corporate leader but I wish he practiced somewhere else first while he hones his skills.
    Just my opinion.
    Yeah. Let's get some experienced corporate types like those we've seen before the banking royal commission. Overpaid inbred corporate ladder climbers whose only skill appears to be owning the achievements of others and disowning their own failures. Without doubt the moral bottom-feeders of society. There. I've had my say! Now let's get back to footy.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Yeah. Let's get some experienced corporate types like those we've seen before the banking royal commission. Overpaid inbred corporate ladder climbers whose only skill appears to be owning the achievements of others and disowning their own failures. Without doubt the moral bottom-feeders of society. There. I've had my say! Now let's get back to footy.
    +1

  12. #12
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,915
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Great footballers don't make great dentists, engineers, doctors or CEO's. I think he's to inexperienced at a corporate level to run a $30m business. I mean, does he even have an MBA?
    He may become a great corporate leader but I wish he practiced somewhere else first while he hones his skills.
    Just my opinion.
    Oh yeah, the oft held myth of the 'real world'......exposing yourself to corporate governance doesn't always make you a better person......often it makes one an asshole.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO