Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shane Mumford

Veterans List
    I will never understand why these footballers risk their careers by taking drugs. And I really really don't understand why they want to film themselves taking drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You said you "copped a fair bit" for that post.....all I'm saying is that I reckon most agreed with you. Maybe I'm remembering wrongly.....
    I was surprised at how many were vocal in dismissing the drugs thing.
    I saw it as far less than 50% agreeing that he should go.
    Many were proponents of education, and other forms of help.
    Each to their own.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Each to their own.
    Probably those hoping he would fill a void for us and turn out to be as good as his brother.....

The fact that this is 3 years old and is only emerging now is problematic from a natural justice perspective as there are questions over why it has been released now, who did it and why as well as the length of time between when it happened and now. I think those are all factors that should be weighed up in assessing what, if anything, is meted to Mumford as punishment.

More broadly though, and in response to a couple of other posts, my feeling is that what happens in the community is no excuse for what footy players do. "Everybody else is doing it so why shouldn't we" is a cop out for a few reasons:-

- It's illegal
    - They're footy players so them being required to look after their physical condition is a reasonable expectation by their club
    - With visibility and profile comes responsibility. It's not enough to say that others are doing it. Others aren't AFL players with media profiles earning decent coin and setting themselves up for life (in some cases)

You make your choice. Do drugs recreationally if you want, and I agree that it's far from the worst of social crimes IF you can keep it under control (Cousins, B.) but if you want to be a footy player you have to make some sacrifices, and not doing what Mumford did is one of them.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Each to their own.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Player gets caught with drugs, all is forgiven and is blamed on personal issues or a health problem or a mental problem.

The other joke is the treatment of players is inconsistent. The only ones that lose their jobs over it are the fringe players like Talia, never the guns like Whitfield, Carlisle etc

Recalling the Michael Talia situation, I assume most here are kind of cool with Mummy and him coming back to the Swans?
    At the time I called for Talia to be removed from the Swans and copped a fair bit for having that POV.
    People saying that drugs are a part of society and to wake up etc

Aside from that, there is no way Mumford will get another gig now.
    It looks like GWS are still going to bring him back. What idiots. I wouldn't want my son being recruited by GWS if there are coke users there.

Mummy will be on Coke Zero!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    IIRC, most on here were quoting the 'no dickhead' policy and saying Talia is finished and will have his papers stamped at seasons end.....which is exactly what happened.

In regard to Mumford, he was never 'coming back to the Swans' and he certainly won't be now.....GWS will probably assess the 'fallout' and then make their decision. They seem to value dickheads.....
    In today's paper, GW$ are talking like it never happened and are still talking about offering him a spot in 2019.
    So glad that just wouldn't happen at our club.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

TBH I haven't even bothered reading about this Mummy stuff too much, but from what I understand this happened after an injkury that was to end his career.
    Semantics that he was still on the list at the time.
    So he did drugs knowing he was never going to play at the top level again.
    No big deal really, kind of happened during his 'civilian life'
    But it was stupid, and in hindsight obviously short sighted
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

He didn't look like someone giving it a try for the first time!

It is rife.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

TBH I haven't even bothered reading about this Mummy stuff too much, but from what I understand this happened after an injkury that was to end his career.
    Semantics that he was still on the list at the time.
    So he did drugs knowing he was never going to play at the top level again.
    No big deal really, kind of happened during his 'civilian life'
    But it was stupid, and in hindsight obviously short sighted
    It might have happened after the injury that ultimately ended the first phase of his his playing career, but if it was just after that, then it’s unlikely he knew his career was over. He would have been during the early rehab phase. Surely illicit recreational drugs aren’t conducive to a good recovery?

To be honest part of me thinks it’s his body and life to screw up if he wants. It’s none of my business how he wastes his money, talent and career.

But another part of me thinks that he is a professional and has some responsibility to his club and I suppose supporters. They are the ones who gave him the opportunity to get exposure to the illicit drug scene and the money to afford it. They are his employer and his actions harm his performance and the brand of his employer. He was a marquee player and as such a public figure and a role model.

But really, who would allow themselves to be filmed? That’s just stupid. And what sort of ass-ish “mate” posts it 3 years later?
    Last edited by 0918330512; 24th October 2018 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    He didn't look like someone giving it a try for the first time!

It is rife.
    Hope he wasn't doing it in 2012, not that he had any impact in the Grand final anyway.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast