Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shane Mumford

Shane Mumford

From Herald Sun:

FORMER GWS ruckman turned ruck coach Shane Mumford has been filmed snorting a large amount of white powder in a rowdy video.
    The video shows a shirtless Mumford, a premiership player, seated in front of five lines of a white substance on a coffee table, as a number of other men chant his nickname — “sausage”-— in the background.
    Mumford waves a hand at the camera phone before leaning over the powder and inserting a rolled up paper in his nose.
    The men then begin bowing down to Mumford, dropping to their knees in praise, before he sticks his tongue out at the camera.
    They can be heard chanting “sausage”, a reference to Mumford’s moniker “Shane Sausage Mumford”.
    The nickname goes back to his footy days at Geelong when teammates would joke that he would eat dozens of snags at BBQs.

Link:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/former-afl-premiership-player-seen-in-video-snorting-white-powder/news-story/0e0d85d8a24ed5c3409b06be242c4c59
    Last edited by KSAS; 23rd October 2018 at 01:20 PM.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmaaaaarrrrrrrrr
    Ha ha
    Busted
    Drugs are bad, m'kay.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

You can watch it without a paywall here...

No cookies | NT News

GW$ say the video is three years old. Was he still playing three years ago, and if he was...?????

What an idiot.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.

He certainly was still playing in 2015, only retiring a year ago.

Can't help thinking he has enemies with the timing of the video release, as Mumford was considering making a comeback next season.

Serious question... as a coach, would Mummy be in just as much trouble as a player... or worse?
    Is the illicit drug policy only for players, or does it include staff as well?

Senior Player
    I'd be surprised if much comes of this. According to the GWS statement it occurred just after he suffered a season ending injury
    in Round 11 2015. Didn't Jake Carlisle post a video of himself up to the same stuff? What happened to him? Nothing.
    I've never minded Shane, but clearly he is not the sharpest tool in the shed, letting someone film him like this.

Recalling the Michael Talia situation, I assume most here are kind of cool with Mummy and him coming back to the Swans?
    At the time I called for Talia to be removed from the Swans and copped a fair bit for having that POV.
    People saying that drugs are a part of society and to wake up etc

Aside from that, there is no way Mumford will get another gig now.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Recalling the Michael Talia situation, I assume most here are kind of cool with Mummy and him coming back to the Swans?
    At the time I called for Talia to be removed from the Swans and copped a fair bit for having that POV.
    People saying that drugs are a part of society and to wake up etc

Aside from that, there is no way Mumford will get another gig now.
    IIRC, most on here were quoting the 'no dickhead' policy and saying Talia is finished and will have his papers stamped at seasons end.....which is exactly what happened.

In regard to Mumford, he was never 'coming back to the Swans' and he certainly won't be now.....GWS will probably assess the 'fallout' and then make their decision. They seem to value dickheads.....

GW$ say it’s 3 year old footage (implying it’s not an issue) but that he is entering into a rehab program (which suggests that it’s still an issue)

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    IIRC, most on here were quoting the 'no dickhead' policy and saying Talia is finished and will have his papers stamped at seasons end.....which is exactly what happened.

In regard to Mumford, he was never 'coming back to the Swans' and he certainly won't be now.....GWS will probably assess the 'fallout' and then make their decision. They seem to value dickheads.....
    My original comment....

Personally,
    I hope the Swans wipe their hands of him.
    They won't - they will support him, educate and rehabilitate him, which they will see as being publicly the right thing to do.
    He's not a teenager - he knows right from wrong. For sure there is a clause in his contract for this kind of thing.
    I'd let him go and set the bar high to be and stay a Swan.

Some replies to that and subsequent posts...

Certainly not all 24yos but you might be surprised how many are doing it. I don't do it but I know many in my age bracket (25-35) who do. Most of them are fully functioning adults with good jobs. It wouldn't be easy to pick the weekend user.
    Whether it's acceptable or not, it's happening.

Would you feel the same way if this was Dan Hannebery, Isaac Heeney or Luke Parker (or another two dozen or so of the Swans list who are pretty important players for us)?

I don't think anyone condones the behaviour, but it's a simple fact that drug use is commonplace in society. Obviously, a large part of the population never take illicit drugs, but even for those that never even dabble, we know drugs are widely available.....Football players shouldn't be doing drugs, even on a casual basis. It's just something that professional athletes have to forego because of their job. I imagine that Talia was suspended because he admitted that he purchased cocaine and is likely to plead guilty. That's the impression I got from Harley's statement. You would think that Talia would be terribly unlucky to be caught the first and only time he used an illicit drug, but I don't want to prejudge him. I really don't know what his long-term status should be at the club. I know the club needs to set a high standard, but if it is the first incident, perhaps some leniency should be forthcoming.

Maybe your kids will maybe they won't but I reckon there's a lot of @@@@ your kids will do over the next 10 years that you really don't want to know about.
    Perhaps you could stop being so self righteous, how wonderful your little darlings are really is irrelevant to this debate.

Very different drug culture in the now under 30s to over 30s. Very relaxed attitude to coke in particular, so alot more kids would be part of it now than even 5 years ago but that is still a separate issue from a footballer in the public eye with huge flow on consequences.

This link states that 43% of males have used illicit drugs. And this second says that it is most common in the 20-40 age group.
    Maybe the RWO demographic/experience doesn't match that but there it is: almost 1 in 2 males, and 1 in 3 woman, have tried/use illicit drugs.
    Back in my 20's I knew many who took "recreational" drugs but for the most it was never "harder" than dope. I also knew many who didn't touch anything harder than a cup of coffee with an extra shot and the odd glass of champers for a toast.
    I will be going against the RWO trend here but I am of the opinion, in society, as long as you don't hurt others it's none of our business. But also,if you get caught, well then, that is the chance you took and you need to accept the consequences.

If this is his first strike, it's a relatively small amount and there are no other serious questions marks around him then I'd be quite disappointed in the club if they washed their hands of him.

People make bad decisions in life. Being arrested might be the best thing to happen to Tahlia - a wake up call that his career at the Swans (or elsewhere at AFL level) is not guaranteed. He will either knuckle down and repay the faith and support the Swans have given him or we will move him on - after seeing how he responds to this. Way too early for us to say get rid of him under the no d@@@heads policy.

Really disappointed when I heard the news. I know that he has been suspended but will he still be receiving medical treatment at the club for his injury?
    A month or so back I was on the bus and there was a group of young girls on the way out for the night and they were openly discussing what drugs they were going to buy and use. I was shocked but I guess I shouldn't have been.

Storm in a teacup. So they can test positive up to 3 times and still play but if they get caught by the cops it's one strike you're out? Hundreds of players do this. Still I see how it's bad for the Swans image as a family club for this to be public, I wonder how often it is hushed up?

I had high hopes for Talia. I hope we can salvage something out of this, but given his court appearance is more than a month away, sounds like we wont see him play again this year

....Stopped at the end of page 5...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    My original comment....

"Yada yada...etc"

....Stopped at the end of page 5...
    You said you "copped a fair bit" for that post.....all I'm saying is that I reckon most agreed with you. Maybe I'm remembering wrongly.....

Veterans List
    GWS can't entertain the idea of a Mummy comeback given that footage is now public, what a silly sausage he is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast