Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fixture

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    The first round has been announced, and once again the Swans are playing away, while the Giants have Sydney to themselves, so your conspiracy theory may have legs after all.
    There are some constraints around fixturing, particularly at the start of the season. In particular, the Easter Show affects the Giants' access to their home ground for a few weeks early in the season. Easter is late in 2019, so it's not unreasonable for the AFL to want to maximise home games for the Giants before the Easter Show starts. And given that they generally have us playing away when the Giants are at home, that affects us. I don't see that as part of any (imagined or real) fixturing conspiracy against us. It's just dealing with the situations that exist.

We used to have issues gaining access to the SCG in the first week or two of the season because the cricket took precedence - ie the SCG wasn't available until it was known that the NSW Sheffield Shield team wouldn't be hosting the finals series there. And since the AFL does its fixturing long before that can be known, it generally meant we didn't typically have games fixtured there in the first couple of weeks of the season. If you look back at the fixture until a couple of seasons ago, you'll see that our first home game was invariably at Stadium Australia.

I suspect everyone now acknowledges that the SCG really isn't needed to host a Sheffield Shield final, even in the unlikely event of the NSW team qualifying to host it. So few people turn up to watch that there are many other grounds that could accommodate it. But there will be greater than normal constraints around SCG fixturing for 2019, with the Waratahs and some RL teams (Roosters? maybe others?) using it as their primary home ground while the ground next door is out of action. I have no idea whether the AFL gets to do its fixture first and then the others fit in around them, or whether they all get to sit around a table together with a scheduling board and several rolls of coloured tape and thrash things out together.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    But there will be greater than normal constraints around SCG fixturing for 2019, with the Waratahs and some RL teams (Roosters? maybe others?) using it as their primary home ground while the ground next door is out of action. I have no idea whether the AFL gets to do its fixture first and then the others fit in around them, or whether they all get to sit around a table together with a scheduling board and several rolls of coloured tape and thrash things out together.
    I read this week that the Swans have priority over the NRL games, since they are a permanent tenant.
    Last edited by liz; 28th October 2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: fixed quotation formatting

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    I read this week that the Swans have priority over the NRL games, since they are a permanent tenant.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. I also think (though don't follow NRL so may be talking nonsense) that the NFL uses a rolling fixture, not fixing time slots for all games at the start of the season but changing things as they go along. If so, that would also mean that the AFL would have to be given priority.

Senior Player
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. I also think (though don't follow NRL so may be talking nonsense) that the NFL uses a rolling fixture, not fixing time slots for all games at the start of the season but changing things as they go along. If so, that would also mean that the AFL would have to be given priority.
    The NRL has done its draw and scheduled games in specific timeslots for the entire regular season. The Roosters, whose home ground is generally the stadium next to the SCG which is being rebuilt, have a few home games early in the season at the SCG (either before the AFL season starts or on Thursday nights in April). The rest of their home games have scheduled timeslots but the ground is 'TBA'. This does suggest the Swans have precedence, with the Roosters only playing their home games at the SCG if it doesn't clash with the Swans.

Ummmmm.... playing NRL on the SCG?... WTF????
    Go and play somewhere else and leave our ground alone.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Ummmmm.... playing NRL on the SCG?... WTF????
    Go and play somewhere else and leave our ground alone.
    And Rugby and A-League as well Annie! Will be interesting to see how the ground pulls up under the significant additional use over the next couple of seasons.

Rumour is we will have Rd 2 v Melbourne at the SCG as a Friday night game.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    And Rugby and A-League as well Annie! Will be interesting to see how the ground pulls up under the significant additional use over the next couple of seasons.
    I read somewhere that the Swans were going to have limited training access to the SCG during the season - just being allowed to train on there in the week before a home game. Whether that's all training sessions in that week, or just one, I don't remember reading. I know other clubs don't get to train on their home ground on a regular basis, but the sparsity of other training grounds in the vicinity will be an issue. Presumably they are going to have to use the Bus Loop Oval throughout the season, not just for the pre-season. It won't be possible for them to hold closed training sessions on that surface given where it is.

Veterans List
    Wherever the swans train I hope they are careful around chains, drains etc!!!

I read somewhere that the Swans were going to have limited training access to the SCG during the season - just being allowed to train on there in the week before a home game. Whether that's all training sessions in that week, or just one, I don't remember reading. I know other clubs don't get to train on their home ground on a regular basis, but the sparsity of other training grounds in the vicinity will be an issue. Presumably they are going to have to use the Bus Loop Oval throughout the season, not just for the pre-season. It won't be possible for them to hold closed training sessions on that surface given where it is.
    I thought they got hold of the middle of randwick race course for a training venue ?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I thought they got hold of the middle of randwick race course for a training venue ?
    IIRC, there was an article a couple of months ago in one of the Sydney newspapers putting that forward as a possibility but I don’t think the club has commented on it. I know they’ve been exploring various options in and around their current location to expand, but had presumed that the recent announcement of the lease and redevelopment of the Hall of Industries was their selected solution, at least for administration and indoor training facilities. While it doesn’t address the need for a training oval, I can’t see them decamping outside training to the middle of Randwick racecourse if everything else is staying on Driver Avenue.

The restricted access to the SCG for training is a reasonably short term thing.

Senior Player
    IIRC, there was an article a couple of months ago in one of the Sydney newspapers putting that forward as a possibility but I don’t think the club has commented on it. I know they’ve been exploring various options in and around their current location to expand, but had presumed that the recent announcement of the lease and redevelopment of the Hall of Industries was their selected solution, at least for administration and indoor training facilities. While it doesn’t address the need for a training oval, I can’t see them decamping outside training to the middle of Randwick racecourse if everything else is staying on Driver Avenue.

The restricted access to the SCG for training is a reasonably short term thing.
    Here is the development application. Have to assume if approved it will be going ahead.

http://planning.randwick.nsw.gov.au/...aspx?id=627041

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    Here is the development application. Have to assume if approved it will be going ahead.

http://planning.randwick.nsw.gov.au/...aspx?id=627041
    Agree that's probable. Though the development of an AFL oval in the middle of Randwick racecourse doesn't necessarily mean it's part of the Swans' plans. Longmire, McLachalan and others frequently speak about the dire lack of AFL facilities in Sydney, and especially in eastern Sydney, and the impact that's having on the growth and the development of the sport up here. So another ground for use by a variety of organisations will be a good thing, irrespective of whether the Swans feel that Bus Stop Oval can continue to provide the club with adequate training facilities.

It will be interesting to see if the club makes any comment about this development once it has been approved.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast