Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fixture

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I have no intention of arguing over this with you. These are the facts as I see them. You don't need to like it.
    Predictions of possible future scenarios are, by definition, speculations rather than facts. Regardless of who sees them.

Football without heart is just some sport or other. The AFL without heart is nothing but a corporate undertaking. Don't discount the importance of the heart. We're all buggered without it.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    [url="http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2018-11-01/state-of-play-part-two"]
    He doesn't mention the development at Randwick Racecourse, though that doesn't mean it isn't in the Swans' sights eventually. I guess it won't be available for the upcoming pre-season (since the development application is still under consideration).
    My first reaction when I saw that Randwick Racecourse had submitted a development application was "why?". Its taking an existing paddock of grass, and turning it into a paddock of grass with some goal posts at both ends. Red tape gone mad. Costing $1.8m though!

I have no intention of arguing over this with you. These are the facts as I see them. You don't need to like it.
    There's absolutely nothing "factual" about your post at all.
    Wild speculation is actually the opposite of "fact".
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    There's absolutely nothing "factual" about your post at all.
    Wild speculation is actually the opposite of "fact".
    You're right about the speculation, but it's not exactly wild. Much of what Barry says here is at least plausible, but any number of alternative scenarios is also possible. The determination of the AFL to prioritise the imposition of the code on unwilling markets over its development in established areas is bound to get it into trouble one day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    R1 - Sat 7:25 Western Bulldogs Marvel
    R2 - Fri 7:50 Adelaide SCG
    R3 - Sat 1:45 Carlton Marvel
    R4 - Thu 7:20 Melbourne SCG
    R5 - Sat 7:25 Richmond Marvel
    R6 - Sat 7:25 GWS SCG
    R7 - Sat 4:35 Brisbane Gabba
    R8 - Fri 7:50 Essendon SCG
    R9 - Sat 7:25 North Blundstone
    R10 - Fri 7:50 Collingwood SCG
    R11 - Sat 4:35 Geelong GMHBA
    R12 - Sun 3:20 West Coast SCG
    R13 - Bye
    R14 - Fri 7:50 Hawthorn SCG
    R15 - Sat 4:35 Gold Coast SCG
    R16 - Sat 1:45 Essendon MCG
    R17 - Sat 1:45 Carlton SCG
    R18 - Sat 6:10 Fremantle Optus
    R19 - Sun 3:20 Geelong SCG
    R20 - Sat 2:10 GWS Spotless
    R21 - Sat 1:40 Port Adelaide Oval
    R22 - Fri 7:50 Melbourne MCG
    R23 - TBA St Kilda SCG

Teams we play twice - Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, GWS, Melbourne
    Venues - SCG (11), Marvel (3), MCG (2), Adelaide Oval (1), Blundstone (1), Gabba (1), GMHBA (1), Optus (1), Spotless (1)
    Cities - Sydney (12), Melbourne (5), Adelaide (1), Brisbane (1), Geelong (1), Hobart (1), Perth (1)
    Times - Thursday (1), Friday (5), Sat afternoon (5), Sat twilight (4) Sat night (4), Sunday (2), TBA (1)
    SCG times - Afternoon (1), Twilight (3), Night (6), TBA (1)
    Breaks (not including the bye) - 5 day (1), 6 day (5), 7 day (6), 8 day (6), 9 day (1), TBA (1)
    I hadn't noticed that we have 3 games at Marvel in the first 5 games. Busy start to the season for us down here.
    Although the Rnd 5 game is over easter, which is a shame for those going away then.

Only two MCG games. Not sure about the other non-vic sides, but if its the same for them, then the AFL has just given the finger to any attempt to cancel out grand final advantage of vic teams.

No games in Melbourne between rounds 5 and 16. Big gap, Will need to go to more local footy, which is not a bad thing.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    If Giants hit hard times, any of these things are possible:
    Giants keep going.
    1) Greater drain on AFL funds as propped up from scratch again.
    2) Will be longer and harder than first time to establish a viable presence as fans and sponsors will be gun-shy second time around.

Giants fold.
    1) All the development work out west will stop, or fall to the swans.
    2) Swans will be forced to play a few games at ANZ/Spotless. (Basically reverting to the setup prior to Giants)
    3) Less AFL interest in Sydney.
    4) AFL will now rely on one team in Sydney, and if Sydney start to fail, AFL support in general from grass roots up will suffer.

Giants merge with Swans.
    1) Dont rule this out. AFL is very likely to do something stupid like this.
    2) Now Swans will be the major partner, but will lose part of its current identity.

Using your head instead of your heart, The Swans needs a viable Giants.
    When the AFL set the Giants going I was among the critics and hoped it wouldn't last. I've since changed my mind and now think that a place as big as Sydney should have more than one AFL side, and that the competition between the two Sydney sides has the potential to help grow the game in NSW, especially if we can avoid the ratbag rivalry that has marred the relationship between the two Adelaide sides.

I note that barry's post begins with "If Giants hit hard times, any of these things are possible". I think he's right. One possibility he left out was that the Giants could move to Canberra, which I would regret but which would be better than shutting down altogether.

And don't lose sight of the fact (as I see it) that one less club in Sydney means the Victorian input becomes a bigger percentage and will harm this great national game.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Only two MCG games. Not sure about the other non-vic sides, but if its the same for them, then the AFL has just given the finger to any attempt to cancel out grand final advantage of vic teams.
    My major gripe with the draw is the low number of MCG games. It is a bit of a slap in the face given the discussion around the ongoing location of the GF.

From a quick scan of the rest of the draw, I think West Coast get three games at the MCG and Adelaide just a single game. Both West Coast and Adelaide are being sent to TIO Stadium to play Melbourne.
    Last edited by liz; 2nd November 2018 at 03:55 PM.

Veterans List
    If Giants hit hard times, any of these things are possible:
    Giants keep going.
    1) Greater drain on AFL funds as propped up from scratch again.
    2) Will be longer and harder than first time to establish a viable presence as fans and sponsors will be gun-shy second time around.

Giants fold.
    1) All the development work out west will stop, or fall to the swans.
    2) Swans will be forced to play a few games at ANZ/Spotless. (Basically reverting to the setup prior to Giants)
    3) Less AFL interest in Sydney.
    4) AFL will now rely on one team in Sydney, and if Sydney start to fail, AFL support in general from grass roots up will suffer.

Giants merge with Swans.
    1) Dont rule this out. AFL is very likely to do something stupid like this.
    2) Now Swans will be the major partner, but will lose part of its current identity.

Using your head instead of your heart, The Swans needs a viable Giants.
    You need a viable Giants so you can continue to get up Swans fans/RWO'ers noses by rabbiting on about them ad nauseum.....honestly, that has to be one of the weirdest posts I have ever read.

Just renewed my membership.

I don't go to too many Friday night games as it is a little late for me. Thursday night game is a little earlier but have to take the youngest grandson to school next morning so probably wont go to that either. Maybe I should hand the seat in for those games in the hope that they will be sold.

I like the three day/twilight games though.

Veterans List
    So much for Gill promising after the MCG Grand Final extension that interstate clubs would get more MCG games. It's a slap in the face. It's bad enough we only play there twice, but Adelaide only play there once. They should be filthy.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast