Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 2019 Fixture

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    This actually a realistic suggestion. The precedent is there for relocations to work with the displaced team largely retaining their traditional supporter bases. i don't know any old South or Fitzroy fans that don't follow Sydney and Brisbane respectively.

Rebranding has also worked OK in retaining new frontier fans (first-time Brisbane supporters transitioned well from Bears to Lions). It will also give the teams representing the latest expansion regions (GC and GWS) some fans. At the moment they are struggling for support.

Unfortunately, AFL House will not reduce the number of games for TV rights reasons but a 24-round season wouldn't reduce the number greatly and you could bolster the short-fall with a few extra finals, perhaps.
    I know lots of ex Fitzroy supporters who follow anyone BUT Brisbane. Bris president made very derogatory comments on the Footy Show about the Roys after the takeover was announced.
    The old Royboys have very long memories.
    I also know that not one ex Royboy went to Collingwood.

Not my experience but I don't doubt yours.

This actually a realistic suggestion. The precedent is there for relocations to work with the displaced team largely retaining their traditional supporter bases. i don't know any old South or Fitzroy fans that don't follow Sydney and Brisbane respectively.

Rebranding has also worked OK in retaining new frontier fans (first-time Brisbane supporters transitioned well from Bears to Lions). It will also give the teams representing the latest expansion regions (GC and GWS) some fans. At the moment they are struggling for support.
    Actually, GC crowds have been quite strong considering the teams performance. It wasnt the lions that made Brisbane more popular in Queensland, it was having a competitive team.
    GWS crowds arent quite where they need to be. But an extra 5000 per game wouldnt hurt. Havent had the breakout season to capture the market yet.

GC or GWS crowds in Victoria = who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    GC or GWS crowds in Victoria = who cares.
    GC or GWS crowds anywhere: who cares?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I know lots of ex Fitzroy supporters who follow anyone BUT Brisbane. Bris president made very derogatory comments on the Footy Show about the Roys after the takeover was announced.
    The old Royboys have very long memories.
    I also know that not one ex Royboy went to Collingwood.
    Not my experience but I don't doubt yours.
    royboy42 is correct. It was a league driven takeover and an acrimonious one at that. Fitzroy fans were not happy and saw Brisbane as just stealing their name. They only took three Fitzroy players so there was nothing for the Roys fans to barrack for. Some have returned to follow the jumper but it's vastly different to the Swans situation.

We Sth Melbourne Swans fans at least had the same players to barrack for and they were still playing in the same jumper (slightly modified to reflect our new home) and were still the Swans.....just in Sydney.....and back then they were still a bunch of losers, so it was just like following the old South Melbourne!

It wasn't hard to follow our team to Sydney but in regard to the Brisbane 'Lions', Roys fans were bitter for years....until about 2001, I believe.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 16th November 2018 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Nearly got it Liz.

Its too simplistic to say cut the comp to 14 teams meaning 26 games. You are suggesting cutting teams that represent a significant part of the supporter base. I suggest the comp be cut to 16 teams and 26 games. Therefore only 4 rounds off imperfection not the current 12.

6 of the current non-Vic teams stay. They've earned their rights to stay in the comp, via premierships or strong supporter bases.
    GWS goes
    GCS goes
    Geelong stays
    Hawthorn goes to Tassie (seeing as though they are currently fighting the AFL to maintain their games down there)
    Western Bulldogs become Western Bulldogs based in Western Sydney.
    North can do what they should have done years ago, and relocate to the Gold Coast. (they would at least attract a bigger crowd)
    StKilda can relocate to Canberra.

This leaves 5 teams in Melbourne. 1 in Geelong and 10 teams spread throughout the remaining 5 states and the ACT.

A closer representation of a National competition than we have today.

With more rounds, 26 and less teams the problems with the current fixture are lessened. 18 into 22 just doesn't work, and never will, and a 34 round season doesn't work without increasing the size of player lists to cater for fatigue and injuries.

Over to you Gill
    +1. That's the way it should have happened by Demetriou really screwed things up.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    How about we shove North down to Tassie and have a Victorian conference of 9 and an interstate conference of 9. Home and away rounds in conference and one round cross conference =25 games and a balanced draw for everyone.
    I think there would be clear advantages to the Vic clubs by not stepping on a plane the entire year whist the interstate side do. Plus, not getting to play a single game on the MCG would be a distinct disadvantage (even more so than currently exists).

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678