Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fixture

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I cant see us ever having a 100 goal season again, so no loss.
    I also dont care too much about $$$ from TV rights. That is not my priority how much players are paid. Take cricket for example. The ACB are patting themselves on the back for the new $1.2b TV rights deal, but the only impact to me is that I couldnt watch the ODI last week. So for me, the deal is poorer.

Playing 17 rounds, each team once, is easy. Even make it that H&A venue is swapped every year.
    The next 5 rounds should just be rivalry rounds. Pick the matches that make sense. Derbies is an easy 1 game. Maybe even 2 games(?!)
    4 other rounds can be figured out just by which combinations make the most interest. This will also go a little way to avoid tanking.
    Lets not pretend that equality is even in the top 10 of AFL concerns.

Suggested draw for Swans last five rounds
    1) v GWS (either SCG or spotless depending on who hosted in 1st 17 rounds)
    2) v West Coast
    3) v Saints
    4) v Pies
    5) v GWS (Canberra)
    You make fair point about how you can even out the Home games every 2nd year with a 17 round season, however I still prefer 22 round season as I personally find 17 round season too short. I still have hopes of seeing a 100 goal season from a player again. I've followed footy long enough to see it go in cycles & it will be interesting to see if the 6-6-6 centre bounce starts next season has any impact to improving scoring.

You have preference playing the same teams twice each season and in our case GWS 3 times! But that means same teams are handicapped each year for better or worse! Who would GC double up on as rivals other than Brisbane?

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    You make fair point about how you can even out the Home games every 2nd year with a 17 round season, however I still prefer 22 round season as I personally find 17 round season too short. I still have hopes of seeing a 100 goal season from a player again. I've followed footy long enough to see it go in cycles & it will be interesting to see if the 6-6-6 centre bounce starts next season has any impact to improving scoring.

You have preference playing the same teams twice each season and in our case GWS 3 times! But that means same teams are handicapped each year for better or worse! Who would GC double up on as rivals other than Brisbane?
    Yeah, I actually wasnt advocating a 17 round season, just the first 17 rounds of a 22 rounds season.
    Playing GWS 3 times works out well for us because we have 3 suitable venues to share it around with NSW fans (Canberra, Spotless and SCG).

Bit trickier for QLD, but could they use cairns for 1 of the 3 games. Be far better propotion than some shaat-kicker vic clubs selling a game up there.

I dont think Adelaide or Perth would have any trouble with 3 derbies a year. It kind of makes it a mini state cup.

The 3 games inside your state also makes it more likely that only 1 team from each state makes the finals, and less likely that both do. Its kind of conferencing at a very subtle level. It goes a long way to deciding who from your state is representing in the finals.

Veteran Site Admin
    The draw (or fixture) can't be fair until every team plays each other twice. I don't think 34 games a year is viable (or desirable) and nor do I think chopping the competition down to 12 teams is viable (or desirable). But there is a middle ground - 14 teams and 26 games per year, with slightly bigger lists to make the 26 games a little less onerous on players (and to absorb playing stock made redundant by deleting some teams).

The eight current non-Victorian teams stay. Geelong stays. One of the existing Melbourne teams shoves off to Tasmania. The remaining eight Melbourne teams duke it out for the last four spots in what would finally approximate a national competition.

That's pre-Gill thinking Liz.

Senior Player
    The thing is the present method of fixturing is actually way superior than every proposed alternative except the radically unrealistic ones

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The eight current non-Victorian teams stay. Geelong stays. One of the existing Melbourne teams shoves off to Tasmania. The remaining eight Melbourne teams duke it out for the last four spots in what would finally approximate a national competition.
    I remember back in the late 80's when Mike Willese was involved with the club, saying couple of times that there are too many teams in Melbourne. His comments did stir the pot a bit and this was pre Eddie who would've been just a cub reporter at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The draw (or fixture) can't be fair until every team plays each other twice. I don't think 34 games a year is viable (or desirable) and nor do I think chopping the competition down to 12 teams is viable (or desirable). But there is a middle ground - 14 teams and 26 games per year, with slightly bigger lists to make the 26 games a little less onerous on players (and to absorb playing stock made redundant by deleting some teams).

Nearly got it Liz.

Its too simplistic to say cut the comp to 14 teams meaning 26 games. You are suggesting cutting teams that represent a significant part of the supporter base. I suggest the comp be cut to 16 teams and 26 games. Therefore only 4 rounds off imperfection not the current 12.

6 of the current non-Vic teams stay. They've earned their rights to stay in the comp, via premierships or strong supporter bases.
    GWS goes
    GCS goes
    Geelong stays
    Hawthorn goes to Tassie (seeing as though they are currently fighting the AFL to maintain their games down there)
    Western Bulldogs become Western Bulldogs based in Western Sydney.
    North can do what they should have done years ago, and relocate to the Gold Coast. (they would at least attract a bigger crowd)
    StKilda can relocate to Canberra.

This leaves 5 teams in Melbourne. 1 in Geelong and 10 teams spread throughout the remaining 5 states and the ACT.

A closer representation of a National competition than we have today.

With more rounds, 26 and less teams the problems with the current fixture are lessened. 18 into 22 just doesn't work, and never will, and a 34 round season doesn't work without increasing the size of player lists to cater for fatigue and injuries.

Over to you Gill

How about we shove North down to Tassie and have a Victorian conference of 9 and an interstate conference of 9. Home and away rounds in conference and one round cross conference =25 games and a balanced draw for everyone.

Surely Carlton is disadvantaged by not having the opportunity to play themselves

Regular in the Side
    Carlton would not be disadvantaged as they would not be playing their first team (GWS) twice.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Carlton would not be disadvantaged as they would not be playing their first team (GWS) twice.
    Only one inter-club practice match for GWS-Carlton then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Nearly got it Liz.

Its too simplistic to say cut the comp to 14 teams meaning 26 games. You are suggesting cutting teams that represent a significant part of the supporter base. I suggest the comp be cut to 16 teams and 26 games. Therefore only 4 rounds off imperfection not the current 12.

6 of the current non-Vic teams stay. They've earned their rights to stay in the comp, via premierships or strong supporter bases.
    GWS goes
    GCS goes
    Geelong stays
    Hawthorn goes to Tassie (seeing as though they are currently fighting the AFL to maintain their games down there)
    Western Bulldogs become Western Bulldogs based in Western Sydney.
    North can do what they should have done years ago, and relocate to the Gold Coast. (they would at least attract a bigger crowd)
    StKilda can relocate to Canberra.

This leaves 5 teams in Melbourne. 1 in Geelong and 10 teams spread throughout the remaining 5 states and the ACT.

A closer representation of a National competition than we have today.

With more rounds, 26 and less teams the problems with the current fixture are lessened. 18 into 22 just doesn't work, and never will, and a 34 round season doesn't work without increasing the size of player lists to cater for fatigue and injuries.

Over to you Gill
    This actually a realistic suggestion. The precedent is there for relocations to work with the displaced team largely retaining their traditional supporter bases. i don't know any old South or Fitzroy fans that don't follow Sydney and Brisbane respectively.

Rebranding has also worked OK in retaining new frontier fans (first-time Brisbane supporters transitioned well from Bears to Lions). It will also give the teams representing the latest expansion regions (GC and GWS) some fans. At the moment they are struggling for support.

Unfortunately, AFL House will not reduce the number of games for TV rights reasons but a 24-round season wouldn't reduce the number greatly and you could bolster the short-fall with a few extra finals, perhaps.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast