Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 39

Thread: Swans in Qatar

  1. #1
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,918

    Swans in Qatar

    Interesting bit of news at the end of the Swans section from this article: Where's your club at? Training return, injuries, major moves - AFL.com.au

    "And another thing ... Senior coach John Longmire, skipper Josh Kennedy, his deputies Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, and young stars Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills, are currently in Doha, Qatar on a fact-finding trip to check out some of the world-class training facilities to be used leading into the 2022 FIFA World Cup."

    Hopefully next season we will be fitter and better conditioned than we were this year....

  2. #2
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,696
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Interesting bit of news at the end of the Swans section from this article: Where's your club at? Training return, injuries, major moves - AFL.com.au

    "And another thing ... Senior coach John Longmire, skipper Josh Kennedy, his deputies Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, and young stars Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills, are currently in Doha, Qatar on a fact-finding trip to check out some of the world-class training facilities to be used leading into the 2022 FIFA World Cup."

    Hopefully next season we will be fitter and better conditioned than we were this year....
    There's three articles about the trip on the Swans' website. (See, they do tell us about some stuff.)

  3. #3
    Now 4 articles on Doha but all basically fluff.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Interesting bit of news at the end of the Swans section from this article: Where's your club at? Training return, injuries, major moves - AFL.com.au

    "And another thing ... Senior coach John Longmire, skipper Josh Kennedy, his deputies Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, and young stars Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills, are currently in Doha, Qatar on a fact-finding trip to check out some of the world-class training facilities to be used leading into the 2022 FIFA World Cup."

    Hopefully next season we will be fitter and better conditioned than we were this year....
    Without wanting to derail this thread again, I’m not a fan of Qatar Airways being a sponsor given the human rights record particularly as it relates to migrant workers involved in building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup.

    Extremely uncomfortable about our senior players being required to do this kind of PR stunt for the despotic regime.

  5. #5
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Without wanting to derail this thread again, I’m not a fan of Qatar Airways being a sponsor given the human rights record particularly as it relates to migrant workers involved in building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup.

    Extremely uncomfortable about our senior players being required to do this kind of PR stunt for the despotic regime.
    Very much agree with you on this. Until their falling out with Saudi Arabia, they were very much involved in the slaughter in Yemen.

    We can't do much about Australia supporting despotic regimes, being a client state of the United States. And there's no way to change the policy, since all major parties are on the same side of issue, so changing the government doesn't change the policy. But the Swans should stay out of these matters.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 3rd November 2018 at 09:52 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Without wanting to derail this thread again, I’m not a fan of Qatar Airways being a sponsor given the human rights record particularly as it relates to migrant workers involved in building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup.

    Extremely uncomfortable about our senior players being required to do this kind of PR stunt for the despotic regime.
    I'm with you MW. This is a PR junket. I'm not against the club doing it but I'm against people glorifying places like Qatar and Saudi Arabia because they treat people and animals like crap.

  7. #7
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Without wanting to derail this thread again, I’m not a fan of Qatar Airways being a sponsor given the human rights record particularly as it relates to migrant workers involved in building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup.

    Extremely uncomfortable about our senior players being required to do this kind of PR stunt for the despotic regime.
    Yes, I was being a bit myopic there, just looking at the facilities/fitness side of things and forgetting the human rights issues. Good point MW.

  8. #8
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Very much agree with you on this. Until their falling out with Saudi Arabia, they were very much involved in the slaughter in Yemen.

    We can't do much about Australia supporting despotic regimes, being a client state of the United States. And there's no way to change the policy, since all major parties are on the same side of issue, so changing the government doesn't change the policy. But the Swans should stay out of these matters.
    I'd imagine the clubs coffers would be pretty bare if they only accepted sponsorships from what are deemed to be squeaky clean (and
    man that's a very grey area) companies. VW for instance, and it's hard to imagine QBE are a bunch of saints whenever a big swag of claims
    come in from the latest flood up in Queensland when every other major insurance company isn't. It's a complicated issue.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'd imagine the clubs coffers would be pretty bare if they only accepted sponsorships from what are deemed to be squeaky clean (and
    man that's a very grey area) companies. VW for instance, and it's hard to imagine QBE are a bunch of saints whenever a big swag of claims
    come in from the latest flood up in Queensland when every other major insurance company isn't. It's a complicated issue.
    I agree. It’s just visiting Qatar to endorse facilites built on the enslavement and deaths of migrant workers is a step too far for me.

    Trade Union Leader Reveals Shocking Extent Of Qatar World Cup Deaths - SPORTbible

    "If we were to hold a minute of silence for every estimated death of a migrant worker due to the constructions of the Qatar World Cup, the first 44 matches of the tournament would be played in silence."

  10. #10
    I like to just talk footy and not percieved moral obligation

    Win games and flags.... where you fly to try and achieve that as a footy club is irrelevant

    Way too much PC in todays game

  11. #11
    Senior Player Bloody Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    2,960
    I wondered whether the Swans hierarchy had considered this when entering into their sponsorship with Qatar Air. I suspect not.

    They look like puppets.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

  12. #12
    Senior Player Bloody Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    2,960
    If anyone is interested, this is an article that was written earlier in the year from the NY Times that is an outstanding piece of journalism and details the current political state of the Middle East and why:

    Kidnapped Royalty Become Pawns in Iran’s Deadly Plot - The New York Times

    It's really well written and a story that will surely at some point made into a movie. For those who can't be bothered, here is the much shorter wiki article:

    2015 Qatari hunters kidnapping - Wikipedia
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO