Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fixture

2019 Fixture

The club has requested more day games (afternoon & twilight) for 2019. It seems our membership base are more convenienced with day games than night, which became an issue this year & potentially affecting membership renewals. As a result, I hope we start winning at the SCG again & make it the fortress we were accustomed to!

Being Melbourne based, I also hope we get 8 Vic games again next year.

Swans request more day games
    Swans request more day games - sydneyswans.com.au
    Last edited by KSAS; 24th October 2018 at 08:26 AM.

Senior Player
    It's good that the club are flagging this as something they want, whilst making it clear that fixtures are not their decision.

I see we're also getting the largest scoreboard in the Southern hemisphere - again Must be a bid to take that crown from Perth.

New SCG scoreboards in 2019 - sydneyswans.com.au

Senior Player
    I'll be really glad for some games less aggressively unfriendly to a daytrip from Canberra

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    I'll be really glad for some games less aggressively unfriendly to a daytrip from Canberra
    You and me both R1!

I'd be happy enough with a 7-4 split of night v day/twilight games. I understand why we need the night games of course and the bigger profile that comes with them, but we need to strike a decent balance between the two. I'd expect that is where it will land, but would love it to be 6-5. Really depends on who we get at home, and broader AFL priorities of course!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    I won't be holding my breath, expecting a better balanced fixture next year, until it actually happens. I believe the club has been asking for a different mix between night and day games for a few seasons now, and yet the number of daytime games has decreased in recent seasons, not increased. I reckon that AFL (and C7) place more emphasis on what is convenient to them, rather than what clubs actually request.

Sydney are a useful side to slot into Friday night spots because they can usually be relied upon to be at least competitive onfield (reducing the risk of a prime-time on-sided game that everyone loves to complain about). And for Friday night games hosted in Sydney, the broadcasters don't have to concern themselves with that pesky time difference (even the half-hour time difference to SA).

And while I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories, I can't help wondering whether making the Swans' fixture as unfriendly as possible for families with young children doesn't help the AFL with something else on its agenda - to underpin the long term supporter base of the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    I have a business in Canberra so I visit 4 to 5 times a year.
    Never been to Manuka and would love for another game up there.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    And while I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories, I can't help wondering whether making the Swans' fixture as unfriendly as possible for families with young children doesn't help the AFL with something else on its agenda - to underpin the long term supporter base of the Giants.
    That's actually an interesting point and has some merit.

The AFL have proven through trade bans, removing COLA etc that they are happy to interfere to get the result they want and I wouldn't put this past them.

The first round has been announced, and once again the Swans are playing away, while the Giants have Sydney to themselves, so your conspiracy theory may have legs after all.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    The first round has been announced, and once again the Swans are playing away, while the Giants have Sydney to themselves, so your conspiracy theory may have legs after all.
    Although worth noting the Swans played at home and the Giants away in the first round the 3 years before that (2015-2017). (For completeness the Giants hosted the Swans in round one the three years before that.)

We play the Bulldogs first up in Melbourne at Marvel stadium (formerly known as Etihad) on Saturday night:

AFL reveals opening round fixture for 2019 - AFL.com.au

Nice to start with a somewhat easy game.

Veterans List
    It's an away game so it should be a win 😉.

Was at my cousin's bridal shower today and most of the family are Bulldog supporters. They had framed premiership memorabilia on the wall and it brought up bad memories from that day 😞.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast