Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Swans' Pre-season 2019

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think this is a really interesting suggestion. From the time he was drafted (as a forward) we considered the possibility that he might later play as a backman but I haven't really thought of him as a midfielder (nor seen him touted as one). However, he does have a really good tank and it also neutralises his weakness as a goalkicker. Would be very interesting to see if this is ever attempted, perhaps at NEAFL level initially. We are building some more depth with tall forwards: Franklin, Reid, Blakey, Amartey, Pink - not all of whom will necessarily make it nor be fit at the same time. However, Tom has plenty of talent and if he is stuck in the queue (especially if Menzel and/or Blakey go past him and Reid is fit) I would certainly look at alternative ways of giving him games.
    There's no chance that he'll ever be used as a midfielder

He doesn't have the tank to be an AFL level midfielder at the moment, and I'm not sure he ever will, particularly as its likely he'll be aiming to bulk up with a view to playing key position

I just listened to an interview with Longmire on Melbourne sports radio. He did not sound too confident that Buddy and Menzel would be right for Round One. He ruled Naismith out for the season start. He also voiced a view that Mills would play more in the midfield as many have hoped. He seemed very enthusiastic about the young talent on our list and its further development this year. He singled out McCartney in this discussion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tom reminds me very much of the way Brian lake played at a young age similar body movement and mark etc

Will be fascinating to watch young Toms development and what our squad needs

All very interesting. As I noted, Tom does have a good tank and if the club were minded they could focus on building this rather than his bulk. However, I agree the idea of playing him in the midfield is novel and not one I had considered before. Probably because it is not likely to happen. But an interesting idea just the same.

I'm not surprised that none of Buddy, Menzel or Naismith fit for round 1. So we might see Sinclair, Reid and McCartin. Maybe even Blakey! Will be a super young and inexperienced forward line if Buddy and Menzel are missing too.

Does anyone know what time they usually train? And if there will be another match simulation on Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'm not surprised that none of Buddy, Menzel or Naismith fit for round 1. So we might see Sinclair, Reid and McCartin. Maybe even Blakey! Will be a super young and inexperienced forward line if Buddy and Menzel are missing too.
    Might mean we need to think about keeping/getting some experience in there, probably Jack, maybe Parker. Maybe even Macca? Although this will Hayward/Florent/Ronke/Papley's 3rd/4th/2nd season - so not total newbies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Does anyone know what time they usually train? And if there will be another match simulation on Friday?
    Not sure of exact training times but roughly from about 8.30 for a couple of hours. They might be practising at Henson instead of Bat & Ball this week.

Mills' midfield move - sydneyswans.com.au

Hmmmm mills elite in the back line ?

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Mills' midfield move - sydneyswans.com.au

Hmmmm mills elite in the back line ?
    He'll be eliter in the midfield.

Veterans List

Veterans List
    and James Rose finally grows up and gets his finger out!

Too much talent to be a failure, hopefully he really is putting everything into making it, would be a handy addition up forward.

Any RWO'ers see the match simulation today at Henson?

Veterans List
    I see afl.com.au believe it has all the answers to our 'positional conundrums' here.....

Coach head-scratchers: We solve your position puzzlers - AFL.com.au where they discuss Mills, Papley and Reid.

On Callum Mills....."Verdict: He's too good to move from the backline."

Errr, he's to good not to be in the midfield.....