Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Swans' Pre-season 2019

Ollie's got a foot sprain: 1-2 weeks

Speedy Swan hobbled for at least one week - AFL.com.au

TALENTED Sydney speedster Ollie Florent will miss Sunday's clash with Gold Coast as he battles a foot sprain.

Florent was hurt during last Saturday's loss to Greater Western Sydney but played on and finished with 21 disposals.

"The prognosis is he may miss a week or two with that foot injury," football manager Charlie Gardiner told sydneyswans.com.au.

Senior Player
    Ling Indefinite with a Toe again! Garghhhhhhhhhh

Injury list: Every club's medical room ahead of JLT2 - AFL.com.au

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Ling Indefinite with a Toe again! Garghhhhhhhhhh

Injury list: Every club's medical room ahead of JLT2 - AFL.com.au
    I don't think that indicates a new injury. It's possible he's hurt it again, but I suspect the "indefinite" just means that they are allowing him to gradually work through his rehab programme and aren't yet able to put a date on his likely return to training, and then playing. Tucker has the same "indefinite" against his name but that doesn't mean he's injured his knee again.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think that indicates a new injury. It's possible he's hurt it again, but I suspect the "indefinite" just means that they are allowing him to gradually work through his rehab programme and aren't yet able to put a date on his likely return to training, and then playing. Tucker has the same "indefinite" against his name but that doesn't mean he's injured his knee again.
    I've checked Fab 22s article same on there. Ok, i'll relax now. i just remembered seeing Lings interview and he said it was behind him and he was ramping up his stuff. Makes sense.

But on the positive side of that list: Jack, Jones and McVeigh are all in with a chance of getting back this weekend; Cameron only has a knee niggle; and it seems that Buddy is a pretty good chance to make round one.

And McCartin wasn't on the list. So I presume that he's training and a chance to come back soon.

Regular in the Side
    FWIW not much Amartey is not on the injury list.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Can one of our medically knowledgeable people please explain to a layman why/how it is that a toe injury can involve so long a recovery? Now, I know that toes are important! - but he's been out pretty much a year, isn't it? It seems to have taken as long as an ACL or a broken leg.

Foot injuries are always problematic and can take a very long time to get right. A navicular injury to Mathew Egan ended his career. I think he might have sued Geelong for playing him too soon after the injury. And we know how troubling a lisfranc injury can be.

Aaron Sandilands spent the better part of 2 seasons nursing a 'turf toe' and missed the equivalent of more than a season.

I don't think we want to take any chances with our 'prized' 1st round pick, so even though it seems to be a Ling-ering injury, it just may be the club being extra cautious.

Amartey is off the injury list, but I don't think he's in full training either. We probably want to put these young guys through a delayed, but normal pre-season in length, and bring them into the main training group when they are fully fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Foot injuries are always problematic and can take a very long time to get right. A navicular injury to Mathew Egan ended his career. I think he might have sued Geelong for playing him too soon after the injury. And we know how troubling a lisfranc injury can be.

Aaron Sandilands spent the better part of 2 seasons nursing a 'turf toe' and missed the equivalent of more than a season.

I don't think we want to take any chances with our 'prized' 1st round pick, so even though it seems to be a Ling-ering injury, it just may be the club being extra cautious.

Amartey is off the injury list, but I don't think he's in full training either. We probably want to put these young guys through a delayed, but normal pre-season in length, and bring them into the main training group when they are fully fit.
    Thanks, Ludwig, and I liked the pun.

I'm certainly not advocating that he be brought back before full recovery; on the contrary, I'm happy if the club is indeed being extra cautious. It's just that I don't understand what can go so wrong with a toe that repair takes so long. The examples of other players gives some perspective that it does take a long while in some instances, but what is a navicular injury or other variety of toe injury? I gather we're not just talking about a bone healing - that wouldn't take so long, right?

Veterans List
    There is an article on the swans app that says that Ling is running and is building up to full training.

It also mentions that Smith is building up his training load after recovering from his hamstring injury. His return date is unclear. It must have been a bad hammy because I'm sure he did it against Melbourne which was the same game AJ did his knee.

It was confirmed that Maibaum injured his ACL as they suspected. Also Grundy had lower back tightness and they didn't want to risk him.

Amartey was shown running in one of the training photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    but what is a navicular injury
    The navicular is one of several small bones between the toes and the ankle, sort of mimicking the structure of the hand. There are many small ligaments holding these bones together, the Lisfranc being one that often makes headlines, as it was the injury that ended Dane Swan's career, nearly ended Mathew Richardson's career and kept Michael Talia out of the game for a year, effectively ending his career at the Swans, not withstanding the cocaine bust.

Foot injuries are so troublesome for athletes because of the extreme forces which can be concentrated on to small regions of the foot. In the case of a young player like Ling, the medical staff wants to eliminate any weaknesses in the area to minimize a re-occurrence of the injury. There is also the need to build his overall strength so he's less subject to injuries in other areas as well. I think he spent a fair bit of time off legs last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The navicular is one of several small bones between the toes and the ankle, sort of mimicking the structure of the hand. There are many small ligaments holding these bones together, the Lisfranc being one that often makes headlines, as it was the injury that ended Dane Swan's career, nearly ended Mathew Richardson's career and kept Michael Talia out of the game for a year, effectively ending his career at the Swans, not withstanding the cocaine bust.

Foot injuries are so troublesome for athletes because of the extreme forces which can be concentrated on to small regions of the foot. In the case of a young player like Ling, the medical staff wants to eliminate any weaknesses in the area to minimize a re-occurrence of the injury. There is also the need to build his overall strength so he's less subject to injuries in other areas as well. I think he spent a fair bit of time off legs last year.
    Thanks, that's great in helping me to understand. Appreciated.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526