Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans' Pre-season 2019

Why would Buddy miss the first 5 games? According to Longmire he only did 15 minutes worth of training this season! If Buddy is able to commence full pre-season training in January as the club is predicting, he'll be ready to go for R1.

I sometimes think pre-season is too long anyhow, particularly for seasoned players and whether it's better for their longevity if it was shortened in any case.

To back this up, I remember in 2000 when the finals were held in August due to the Sydney Olympics and seasoned players commentating how fantastically refreshed their bodies felt for the following season due to the extra break.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Ling anybody ?

A big thing about Stoddart hetting drafted and still nothing about Ling

I know Stoddart played but bloody hell Ling is a 1st Rounder that we saw something in that no one else did that early.

Has the kid even been sighted in Sydney ? Doing my head in, the least talked about 1st Rnd draft pick ever
    Its only because he was busted by an injury early last season that clearly was substantially harming his ability to do anything on the park (We tried to get him to play through it) that he has been sight unseen. The club rates him highly and with a full pre-season and a decent start to the next in reserves, is likely to be quickly into the mix for first team selection.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I don't know exactly how it works but surely players have some say in the medical treatment they receive? It may be that Buddy preferred to try and resolve the groin issue without surgery even though the club would have been happy to send him for surgery straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I don't know exactly how it works but surely players have some say in the medical treatment they receive? It may be that Buddy preferred to try and resolve the groin issue without surgery even though the club would have been happy to send him for surgery straight away.
    Surely it must always be the players decision

I'd like to think so but I have the impression that the club has a lot of say in these things. That may be partly because the clubs are paying for the treatment (probably via insurance) but also due to contractual terms. A bit like the contractual terms that stipulate all the activities players are not allowed to engage in on their own time. I don't really know how it works. Sometimes you hear someone like Tom Harley being interviewed about a player's injury and subsequent surgery saying something like "we decided to go with traditional surgery rather than LARS because...". This suggests to me that the club's have at least some involvement in the decisions.

I'd like to think so but I have the impression that the club has a lot of say in these things. That may be partly because the clubs are paying for the treatment (probably via insurance) but also due to contractual terms. A bit like the contractual terms that stipulate all the activities players are not allowed to engage in on their own time. I don't really know how it works. Sometimes you hear someone like Tom Harley being interviewed about a player's injury and subsequent surgery saying something like "we decided to go with traditional surgery rather than LARS because...". This suggests to me that the club's have at least some involvement in the decisions.
    I presume the club pays for everything and the doctors give advice. I can’t imagine it’s legal, or a doctor would take part in, coercive surgery.

Obviously the players have to consent. But conceivably they could be in breach of contact if they refused to undertake treatment as reasonably prescribed by club's doctor.

Obviously the players have to consent. But conceivably they could be in breach of contact if they refused to undertake treatment as reasonably prescribed by club's doctor.
    Conceivably, yes, but realistically, not a hope in hell.
    A player gets to choose his own medical procedures with all available information at hand. End of story.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Older player. Better to miss the first 5 games of the season, then the last 5.
    Agreed. For the last few seasons our problem hasn't been making the finals, it's been that we've run out of fit and healthy players in the finals. We've also run out of competent umpires in the finals but I think that's out of our control.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    A player gets to choose his own medical procedures with all available information at hand. End of story.
    Assuming you're right, I'm glad to hear it. That takes me back to my original point: perhaps some are being hasty to blame the club for allowing Buddy the opportunity to have his injury heal naturally before deciding to have surgery. It may have been more Buddy's than the club's, decision.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Correct - which is why David Zaharakis wasn't suspended with the rest of his teammates - he refused to take part in the supplement program

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Correct - which is why David Zaharakis wasn't suspended with the rest of his teammates - he refused to take part in the supplement program
    Generous description of their "Whatever it takes" drugging program!

The two funniest slogans for a season are Essendon's "Whatever it takes" in the season they did the drugs and Carlton's "They know we're coming" in the season they started heading back down the ladder!

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast