Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans' Pre-season 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Barry, we did have a big influx last year. However (1) the gameplan didn’t appear to change significantly (2) the new blood was inexperienced compared to Nicks (3) do we have any coaches whose role includes “ball movement” (4) we lost a very senior assistant in Dew. He hasn’t been replaced with an assistant of similar “weight” (in either sense of the word!) I think Horse benefits from being challenged by another coach. (5) I think Shaw was playing that role to an extent and he’s now left.
    I get what you are saying, but I'm happy to give our assistants one more year to prove themselves.

Gameplans arent as flexible as you think. Essentially the personal determine which gameplans are viable. In other words, recruiting directly correlates to gameplans, which mean they are about as maneverable as an aircraft carrier.

Update on Buddy's groin recovery who had same op as Menzel. He's started jogging. Longmire is hopeful (rather than certain) he'll be ready for Round 1:

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I get what you are saying, but I'm happy to give our assistants one more year to prove themselves.

Gameplans arent as flexible as you think. Essentially the personal determine which gameplans are viable. In other words, recruiting directly correlates to gameplans, which mean they are about as maneverable as an aircraft carrier.
    Game plans may not be flexible during a game, but they can be overhauled drastically, even rewritten during the offseason. Now is the time to do it. Both Richmond and Collingwood changed their gameplans without new players...

I’m hoping to be surprised, expecting to be disappointed by more of the same in 2019

Game plans may not be flexible during a game, but they can be overhauled drastically, even rewritten during the offseason. Now is the time to do it. Both Richmond and Collingwood changed their gameplans without new players...

I’m hoping to be surprised, expecting to be disappointed by more of the same in 2019
    RIchmond and collingwood had the worst game plans in living memory before they shifted to a more workable one, but even then Richmond had been amassing a talented small man fleet with good pressure for some years before. They all matured and delivered the game plan. I doubt they could have done it with the personal they had 5 years ago.

Collingwood had a good 2018 based on a very, very soft draw. I'll reserve judgement on them, but was their game plan "bomb it to cox in the goal square" ?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    RIchmond and collingwood had the worst game plans in living memory before they shifted to a more workable one, but even then Richmond had been amassing a talented small man fleet with good pressure for some years before. They all matured and delivered the game plan. I doubt they could have done it with the personal they had 5 years ago.

Collingwood had a good 2018 based on a very, very soft draw. I'll reserve judgement on them, but was their game plan "bomb it to cox in the goal square" ?
    They both changed their gameplans drastically. If you saw the final where Collingwood systematically dismantled Richmond you'll know that there was much more to their game plan than bomb it to Cox (although that coupled with keeping Rance away from the contest was a very effective tactic). Seeing a club coached as Collingwood were to nullify their opponents previously un-nullify-able strengths made me wish that we had the coaching skillset to do something similar. I don't think we do.

Great to see the pics of the boys at preseason training. Pics seem to be of the usual suspects although Kirky's girls got a lookin near Heeney. No sign of Pink anywhere. Is he real, even his pic on the website isnt working . It would be great if the Swans gave an update on the whole squad including the secretive Pink!!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Great to see the pics of the boys at preseason training. Pics seem to be of the usual suspects although Kirky's girls got a lookin near Heeney. No sign of Pink anywhere. Is he real, even his pic on the website isnt working . It would be great if the Swans gave an update on the whole squad including the secretive Pink!!
    I saw Pink in one of the training videos a few days ago.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    He looked in the pink as well.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    LOL he would have to be the most elusive player at the Swans since the dark old days when we drafted players and they didn't even bother coming

Did you see the insta picture the swans put up of Joey?
    Oh my fairy godmother in law!!!
    I tried to save it to my phone (just to look at later) but couldn't (damn you insta).
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Did you see the insta picture the swans put up of Joey?
    Oh my fairy godmother in law!!!
    I tried to save it to my phone (just to look at later) but couldn't (damn you insta).
    This one?
    https://instagram.fsyd3-1.fna.fbcdn.....fna.fbcdn.net

They both changed their gameplans drastically. If you saw the final where Collingwood systematically dismantled Richmond you'll know that there was much more to their game plan than bomb it to Cox (although that coupled with keeping Rance away from the contest was a very effective tactic). Seeing a club coached as Collingwood were to nullify their opponents previously un-nullify-able strengths made me wish that we had the coaching skillset to do something similar. I don't think we do.
    perhaps collingwoods game plan change was more about Buckley being told to drop his own designs on a game plan (which had been poor and caused collingwood to miss finals), and start focussing on counteracting other teams game plans (as you said). This is a risk mitigation strategy design for a club that doesnt consider itself a contender, and needs to sneak into the finals to get all the critics off their backs.
    The better success 2018 than just making finals implies to me that Buckley may be a good "coach", he just had a really bad game-plan template he was trying to implement. Once relieved of needing a game plan, and just being reactive, he could free up his coaching to good effect. Anecdotally, they seems to ring true from what people have been saying about him.

I dont think Horse is in the same boat. We tend to only go into a reactive game plan against specific sides (eg Hawthorn).