Thread: AFL.com.au's slant on things.....perpetuating Victorian myths?

Veterans List

AFL.com.au's slant on things.....perpetuating Victorian myths?

I don't think this is a fair representation.....do you?

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%...8DP277best.jpg

Typically skewed to reinforce certain Victorian myths about our club. A Swans player with a dollar sign on his back. Not fair at all but somehow not surprising!

Found here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-...es-go-up-again

....and on the AFL's main page.

Veteran Site Admin
    I admit I opened the article expecting to read (with a little surprise) that Isaac was one of the million dollar men last season. Certainly a strange choice of image for the story.

The bigger question is how Richmond have Dusty , Cotchin , Rance and Reiwoldt in that player payment range and yet they can still afford Lynch (who they throw in - will not be earning above a mill in 19 (in what I imagine must be a heavily backended deal that still has an eight or nine in front of it in 19).

So - when you read the story you find the authors are saying Lance Franklin is one of six players who received over $1 million in 2018.

Why is this a ‘story’? It would only be big news if Buddy, one of the best players in the comp (if not ‘the best’) were NOT one of the six.

A story might have been written about Tom Boyd being one of the six though.

And the $ sign on the back of Isaac is cheap misrepresentation.

What I find per perplexing is that an article earlier in the week about clubs chasing Coniglio manage to mention that Hawthorn have plenty of room to table a big offer !? Umm, how ??!? I know they’ve lost a lot but they’ve picked up Mitchell, O’meara, Scully and Wingard in the past 3 years . Surely they aren’t brimming with salary cap room to throw 1 million a season + at coniglio !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    What I find per perplexing is that an article earlier in the week about clubs chasing Coniglio manage to mention that Hawthorn have plenty of room to table a big offer !? Umm, how ??!? I know they’ve lost a lot but they’ve picked up Mitchell, O’meara, Scully and Wingard in the past 3 years . Surely they aren’t brimming with salary cap room to throw 1 million a season + at coniglio !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It certainly is perplexing but I think the Hawks maybe seen by a lot of players as a destination club that will win premierships fairly regularly ie: they aren't 'down' for too long and they are in the epicentre of footy with less 'go home' factor......and as such, players may be accepting less to play there than say, the Swans in 'faraway' Sydney. A lot of their 'stars' took pay cuts so the club could fit those big names into the salary cap last season but you have to wonder what those new big name recruits themselves are getting paid.....

But overall it does seem quite strange that the Hawks still have space for a 'big fish' and makes the removal of COLA from the northern state clubs questionable.

I feel that some of the powerful Melb clubs are offering side deals through commercial arrangements/endorsements to entice star players from elsewhere. I don't buy the line that all of these guys are accepting well under their market value for the privilege of playing for Hawks, Bombers, Tigers, Pies. They are getting the money. Just in other ways. The AFL needs to look at these side deals very carefully.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk