Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Swans pushing for 3 Grand Finals

To summarise, the AFL is a national sport played throughout metropolitan Melbourne.

I love the fact that the club has come out with this. Something needs to be done about the inequity of the grand final (as well as many more things). I personally don't like the idea of three GFs but at least this gets the discussion started on how unfair the AFL is.

It's really pissed me off this week listening to the Victorians being critical of this idea. They're the same people who are in favour of the GF being played at the MCG. This is what we are up against and the other non-Victorian clubs should be joining us.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Some of the comments in today's H/S regarding this show what the non Vic teams are up against. Very anti Swans, along the lines of 'they need three chances', 'pathetic interstate crap', 'still looking for unfair advantages', 'interstate teams have done very well in the GF' and even this wacky pearler.....'the Swans have the luxury of 11 home games every season, what more do they want?!' Seriously??!! There was even one bemoaning their greatest fear, interstate GF's.....'are we going to have GF's at tiny stadiums like Spotless or Metricon?' They really fear the GF being taken away from the exclusivity of the MCG.....

The delusion of this league being a totally fair one runs high in Victoria.
    The Herald Sun : a case study of Melbourne's insular ignorance.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 19th November 2018 at 11:25 AM.

Smacks of sensationalism to try and make a point.
    Whilst I think the idea has some merit, I doubt anyone is realistically thinking that it will be considered.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Smacks of sensationalism to try and make a point.
    Whilst I think the idea has some merit, I doubt anyone is realistically thinking that it will be considered.
    +1. I think the main motive behind this push is to keep reminding the AFL the GF at the MCG is a distinct advantage for Vic clubs in a national competition. A form of protest given that it has now been locked away there till 2057. The best we can hope from this is get more games scheduled at the MCG during the H&A instead of just the standard 2.

Veterans List
    In the Sunday Herald Sun under the "Not Hot Barometer" it has the Best of 3 GF Series and it says for most players the season is long enough. However, underneath that it also lists Cricket Burnout and says that the cricketers get paid extremely well as fulltime professionals so they should toughen up. 😏 What a contradiction!

West Coast and Adelaide also now support a 3 GF series concept.

Paywall link but can be viewed using outline.com:
    https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/west-coast-join-push-for-bestofthree-grand-final-series/news-story/a308bc51f4c1f2351dac8330c24316be

Sensing a bit of a mini united uprising against the establishment.
    Will likely peter out to nothing, but still good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    In the Sunday Herald Sun under the "Not Hot Barometer" it has the Best of 3 GF Series and it says for most players the season is long enough. However, underneath that it also lists Cricket Burnout and says that the cricketers get paid extremely well as fulltime professionals so they should toughen up. 😏 What a contradiction!
    Players have way too much influence in the AFL.

The small advantages the northern clubs had to help them compete with Victorian clubs have virtually gone.

The academies have become heavily screwed in Victorian clubs favour now with even WA/SA having put in a submission to try to change their academy rules to atleast have a semblance of what the Vic clubs have.

COLA is virtually gone.

Non Victorian clubs do not have nowhere near the prime time games the Vic clubs have. You get to see great blockbusters like Carlton v St Kilda instead of the Showdown.

All the controls that kept non Vic clubs quiet are gone.

I don’t think it’ll go away I think it’s the start.

It's simply something that needs to be raised every so often by the interstate clubs
    The AFL hates criticism, but ironically their method for dealing with this is to simply ignore it.
    Gill won't address it in the hope that it will peter out, which it will.
    Which is why it needs to be raised again every year or so.
    Also, it is in the interests of the interstate clubs to form an alliance of sorts and stand together in some ways.

Who knows, maybe one day the interstate clubs will break away from the AFL and create the AFC, Australian Football Championship, or something like that.
    All they'd need to do is ring in a couple of Vic clubs who feel let down by the AFL and you have a truly national evenish competition, leaving the remaining Victorian clubs to basically join the VFL. Could even create a Tassie team, maybe a NT/ACT combo team.
    12 teams, play twice, all problems solved.

Of course all this is just fun thinking as it would be impossible with contracts etc, but stranger things have happened I guess.

I know this is slightly off topic, but I had a look at the AFL Org structure and I think it's glaring for a national competition there are no state representive positions.

The AFL administration - AFL.com.au
    (This is dated from 2011 but the structure is still the same).

I would have an AFL office in each state with a local CIO heading it, who are on the ground and in continuous contact with local leagues and AFL clubs, nose to the ground to address/highlight residing issues. Each of these state CIOs report directly to the AFL Commission.

This structure would prevent the downward spiral of Tassie footy which was neglected by the AFL, prevent overbearing Vic influence (Eddie, Kennett, Clarko etc...) in formulating governance rules. Each state has EQUAL say and decisions like extending MCG GF to 2057 would've been at least fiercely debated.

AFL would be better off having it's HQ located out of Melbourne, so the likes of Clarko can't just have coffee chats with the CEO at a whim.
    Last edited by KSAS; 19th November 2018 at 11:53 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast