Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Swans pushing for 3 Grand Finals

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Neat post, CTS. Do you carry all that data at your finger tips?!
    Conceivably, yes, I am deceptively knowledgeable and have an amazing memory.
    Realistically, no, I googled it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Can't read the article as you have to subscribe to News Corp and I'm not willing to give Murdoch even one dollar of my money. s there a similar article in the Age/SMH?
    Sorry. When I saw the link, I clicked and could read it.
    Maybe they have a time before it becomes a subscription article?
    I don't subscribe to any online news websites.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Spot on. As I've posted ad nauseum: embarrassment of a national competition, to be ridiculed for the next forty years. Don't be surprised if another premier extends it beyond 2057, ridiculous as it would seem. Never under estimate Melbourne footy community's insularity and delusion.
    It’s a sham of a league that’s run to make a few mates some money. It’s why you get a club president being part of the signing of the GF contract.

Do people seriously think McGuire got the government, MCC & AFL together just out of the goodness of his heart? Of course there is something in it for him, no doubt and as has been pointed out there is something in it for his club.

Melbourne is a great place to live if you were lucky like me to live in a suburb like Richmond but when it comes to footy the population there is as insular, ignorant and illiterate as you will ever find.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    They are pretty fair points.
    Will possibly be a huge regret if the structure of the competition changes over that period.

In 1978 (40 years ago) we had
    12 teams in the competition
    no interstate teams
    games played at local ground
    1 game per week at the MCG
    a night series
    attendance less than half what it is now, which is somewhat reflective of...
    138 games player compared to 207
    average player payments of 15% of the average wage
    TV rights were held between ch2 and ch7 at $600,000 per year

Smacks of a very Victorian centric AFl, who are worried about future national developments and want to lock it in to Victoria for a long time.
    Fast forward 10 to 15 years and we'll likely be discussing the pros and cons of buying out of the 40 year contract with the MCG.
    Wow! Amazing stats there. And to think the TV rights were only $600k. No social media back then either. What a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    McGuire, being a very strong Labor man, is also very good mates with the Andrews government. No surprises there.
    It shows how much contempt was shown to the non Victorian sides when this fact was not even hidden it was openly reported and discussed about the involvement of a club president in the extension of a contract without F all discussion with every other club.

Like I’ve said previously its a mates club to make each other richer via a sports entertainment business.

I"m OK with the granny being played at the MCG for the next 400 years... so long as teams like Collingwood, Richmond and Melbourne (to name just three), travel more frequently interstate to play their games.
    Especially Collingwood.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by liz; 22nd November 2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Post split between two threads
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Goes up to 11
    We shouldn't be thinking of the AFL as a national league. It's not. It's just the VFL that grew and cleverly extended it's reach into WA and SA, the only other two "big" Aussie Rules states, with NSW and Qld mere add-ons. It's still, in essence, the VFL, just bigger and shinier.

We should forget this concept of a 'fair' 'balanced' national competition with rotating grand finals yada yada. Always has and always will be a Melbourne based competition. I think those running the Swans accept that and we, as fans, should too.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    We should forget this concept of a 'fair' 'balanced' national competition with rotating grand finals yada yada. Always has and always will be a Melbourne based competition. I think those running the Swans accept that and we, as fans, should too.
    Yes. It just makes it all the more sweeter when we get it all together and win it!

We shouldn't be thinking of the AFL as a national league. It's not. It's just the VFL that grew and cleverly extended it's reach into WA and SA, the only other two "big" Aussie Rules states, with NSW and Qld mere add-ons. It's still, in essence, the VFL, just bigger and shinier.

You sound like a troll or Eddie McGuire.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    You sound like a troll or Eddie McGuire.
    Please explain why you'd make such an offensive assertion (the Eddie bit that is)?

Please explain why you'd make such an offensive assertion (the Eddie bit that is)?
    So your a troll. Congratulations, well done.

Warming the Bench

Support your post. Well put.

Veteran Site Admin
    Please try to stay on topic. Posts relating to local politics (that have nothing to do with football) have been moved to the Open Chat forum.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast