Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Swans pushing for 3 Grand Finals

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    So your a troll. Congratulations, well done.
    * you're.

Not at all. It's my assessment of a less than perfect situation in which the Swans operate. I figure that those running the Swans have a pretty pragmatic approach to this, so I am ok going along with this. That's all.

Senior Player
    I think the proverbial will hit the fan in the next five to ten years when the broadcast rights money the AFL (and the clubs)
    have become so heavily dependant on starts to stagnate. These media organisations (Foxtel, the free to air channels) are
    barely solvent at the best of times these days, and the idea that they are going to keep paying every increasing amounts
    to the AFL for the broadcast rights at a time when their advertising revenue is going nowhere and interest in the game can't
    even keep up with the population growth in the country is nuts. It's possible the AFL is more than aware of this and so
    have decided to retreat into their Victorian shell and signing 40 year deals with the MCG for the GF is a reflection of that.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all for private ownership to come into play again as new money has to come from somewhere
    to support all these clubs and their ever increasing cost base as the traditional revenue sources start to stagnate.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    * you're.

Not at all. It's my assessment of a less than perfect situation in which the Swans operate. I figure that those running the Swans have a pretty pragmatic approach to this, so I am ok going along with this. That's all.
    Grammar police lol

Your initial post looked like something straight out of a trolls playbook or like I said what McGuire would say.

I’d say you’ve figured it all out wrong. You basically say in your initial post supporters and the club should accept that it’s basically still the VFL with a name change and that we all should just accept that Victorian clubs have an advantage when the club has never excepted it. From asking for COLA to an academy to requesting home finals to now requesting a fairer GF setup. All to make it an even playing field for the club.

Your initial post flys in the face of everything the club has tried to achieve since moving to Sydney.

You do realise the club also asked for the reinstatement of COLA when suggesting a 3 game grand final series to take away from the massive advantage Victorian clubs have in paying players via 3rd party deals and to make up for the extra cost of living in Sydney.

By your intial post the club & supporters should just be thankful they’re aloud in the great big Victorian league. If that were the case the club would still be playing home finals at the G & lose players to Victoria regularly.

No, every bit of evidence over the years points to the opposite of what you wrote in your initial post.
    Last edited by Boddo; 22nd November 2018 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Sadly the NGA's have much of the shonky deals feel about them - its zoning by stealth. At least it is limited to certain players so can't be a complete reintroduction of zoning by stealth, but there are already multiple examples of where players with already very well established pathways to AFL footy are being hoovered up by clubs under the NGA, claimed as their own - even where the clubs have had to do practically nothing to develop the talent.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Had a debate with a Collingwood mate today who reckons NGA is a good thing as someone like Quaynor wouldn't get to play AFL. I said rubbish and gave Allir as an alternate example. Plus I told him NGA should be renamed as the Stolen Generation Academy (draft speaking), because these players are already in an established AFL pathway environment and don't get to be drafted by the club who holds the according pick.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps a stupid question- but why did they need to lock in such a long contract? It's pretty clear the MCG is bidding against itself, so I doubt they're giving a significant long term discount. Is it purely an assurance to justify development by showing a guaranteed income?

I appreciate they had a laundry list of items they wanted from the Vic government, but 40 years seems absurd (and definitely gives way to people outside of state thinking it's just Vic-centric thumbing of noses).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Perhaps a stupid question- but why did they need to lock in such a long contract? It's pretty clear the MCG is bidding against itself, so I doubt they're giving a significant long term discount. Is it purely an assurance to justify development by showing a guaranteed income?

I appreciate they had a laundry list of items they wanted from the Vic government, but 40 years seems absurd (and definitely gives way to people outside of state thinking it's just Vic-centric thumbing of noses).
    Didn't the Andrew Andrew John Robert (whatever his name is) bloke, get voted in because he made the day before the granny a public holiday?
    Of course it's vic-centric.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Didn't the Andrew Andrew John Robert (whatever his name is) bloke, get voted in because he made the day before the granny a public holiday?
    Daniel Andrews...He introduced the holiday after he was elected. Living in Victoria I'm not complaining about the extra holiday .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    It certainly helped and the long term MCG GF contract was just another vote catcher.....but I still voted for him, there's more to life than footy on election day! On that score we had a great win.....it was all over by quarter time.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    It certainly helped and the long term MCG GF contract was just another vote catcher.....but I still voted for him, there's more to life than footy on election day! On that score we had a great win.....it was all over by quarter time.
    Also happy about Saturday's result but Andrews along with one of his trusted advisors, McGuire, thinks Victoria is utopia and has trouble seeing past its borders. I enjoy living here but for a very big city, Melbourne has a very insular attitude.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456