Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans rewind - watching games of times past

Veterans List
    I believe that Luke, while a great writer, isn't a historian.....he really should have titled his article "How the Swans Reinvented the Bloods Culture'. It's not a new thing.....the club has always had a 'never say die' attitude (it was known more so as the Bloods 'spirit'), just not always the talent and club set up and support networks to turn this attitude/spirit into consistent and ultimate success.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 19th November 2018 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I believe that Luke, while a great writer, isn't a historian.....he really should have titled his article "How the Swans Reinvented the Bloods Culture'. It's not a new thing.....the club has always had a 'never say die' attitude, just not always the talent and club set up and support networks to turn this attitude into consistent and ultimate success.
    The Bloods Culture Trademark | Leading Teams

How the 'Bloods' culture made Nick Davis a hero and won Sydney a flag - Jude Bolton

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Has anyone tried Kayo sport yet? - could be a good alternative to fox (and yes Kayo is part owned by fox/news) but a complete sport streaming package in Australia
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

Replaying these classic games is epic for the memories, the one just finished
    Swans v Hawks 1996 semi final (?) .....
    Swans win by 6 in the dying minutes.
    you can feel yr emotions sitting in the crowd 22 yrs ago...
    so many very good players giving their all.
    Kickett, Luff, Kelly, Roos, O’Brien, Creswell, Maxwell....

Awesome...

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post

Awesome...
    It was a quali. Just watched the last quarter highlights on Youtube.....great stuff!

Just watched Round 19 2008. Swans by 4 points. Adam Goodes kicked 8 goals. Going into the game Swans were 4th, Freo 12th. Great game

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post

Awesome...
    Very very very special game for me. Flew to Sydney with my late dad to watch this game being Father's Day weekend. I get emotional when this game gets played, particularly that last quarter. So many memories come flooding back which means so much more now. Cresser was one of my dad's favourites at the time & he kicked the winning goal. We walked all the way back to our CBD hotel singing the club song over & over again in jubilation. First time we'd seen the Swans win a final.

Just watching a game from 2007 (V's Bombers).
    It just reminded me of how long a kick Sean Dempster was. A great sight watching him run down the field (long legs) and then launch one.
    Was sorry to see him go.

I love to break out my DVDs of round 17 v Essendon, 1987; round 1 v Melbourne 1982 & the 1982 Night Grand Final vs North

(I also have R16 vs West Coast, 1987; & R18 vs Richmond - also good viewing)

Watching a game from 2007 against Brisbane.
    This was Ed Barlow's (wearing the famous 41, before Mummy) first senior game.
    Jason Dunstall was full of praise in the 1st quarter, saying what an elite athlete Ed was and he could be anything. Sadly didn't pan out that way.

As with Adam Schneider and Amon Buchanan the commentators called Ed when it was Craig Bolton and vise versa.
    Another player in that game was Luke Brennan who didn't have a great influence at his time at the Swans. Which club did he come from originally?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Another player in that game was Luke Brennan who didn't have a great influence at his time at the Swans. Which club did he come from originally?
    Hawthorn.

Injuries probably got the better of him. He had a rough time with them at Hawthorn before he ever reached us. His time with Sydney probably wasn't too curtailed by time out with injuries but his development had already been effected.

As an aside, I think he was (probably still is) close with Goodsey. A friend (who knows Brennan, or at least knows his wife) told me that Goodes was in his wedding party. Maybe even as best man, though my memory is a little fuzzy on the specifics I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hawthorn.

Injuries probably got the better of him. He had a rough time with them at Hawthorn before he ever reached us. His time with Sydney probably wasn't too curtailed by time out with injuries but his development had already been effected.

As an aside, I think he was (probably still is) close with Goodsey. A friend (who knows Brennan, or at least knows his wife) told me that Goodes was in his wedding party. Maybe even as best man, though my memory is a little fuzzy on the specifics I was told.
    As usual you are a fountain of information Liz. Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast