Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans rewind - watching games of times past

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Watching a game from 2007 against Brisbane.
    This was Ed Barlow's (wearing the famous 41, before Mummy) first senior game.
    Jason Dunstall was full of praise in the 1st quarter, saying what an elite athlete Ed was and he could be anything. Sadly didn't pan out that way.

As with Adam Schneider and Amon Buchanan the commentators called Ed when it was Craig Bolton and vise versa.
    Another player in that game was Luke Brennan who didn't have a great influence at his time at the Swans. Which club did he come from originally?
    I think Ed is playing up in the NT now. He was in my Drama class in Bega (not that I'm a Drama teacher, but had to do it for a bit). He used to barrack for The Bombers if I remember correctly, and was stoked to be drafted to the Swans. One of the commentators drew the comparison between Goodesy's build and his, but sadly, he didn't even come close in the end. If there was ever an award for a student being a larrakin, he'd win it easily.

One I watched the other day was that game in 1994 when Plugger was still at St Kilda and destroyed us in the last quarter. I remember being so upset about it at the time as we seemed to have the game in hand at three quarter time. Looking at who was playing in that game it was the start of our rise. A young Kelly, Luff and Creswell were playing for example.

Something I like about watching those old games is seeing players who you had all but forgotten about running around again. For example, remember Wheeler - the African American guy wearing the pony tail? He was quite a talent. Another was McRae. He played some good solid football for us in those down times.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I hated that game.
    It was so impossible to lose at 3/4 time, then it all slowly, but quickly fell apart.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I hated that game.
    It was so impossible to lose at 3/4 time, then it all slowly, but quickly fell apart.
    I tried to look beyond the result and the genesis of a good side that played off in the Grand Final just two years later. If you had told me that day that Plugger would go on to be a Swans all time great I would have thought you were being delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I tried to look beyond the result and the genesis of a good side that played off in the Grand Final just two years later. If you had told me that day that Plugger would go on to be a Swans all time great I would have thought you were being delusional.

Had I also told you about Hall, Brereton, and Franklin, you'd probably accused me of the same thing

One of my really devo memories from the Swans past.
    Another is after our long cellar dweller slump, making the finals and listening to it on the radio and knowing we were going to lose.
    Another is Garry Lyons remarks when we beat Melbourne (again, when we were pretty much 100% winless) and he said "we played down to their level" when being interviewed after the game. Such sour grapes, and inaccurate as was seen in the coming years, but it really took the shine of an amazing feeling after that win.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Had I also told you about Hall, Brereton, and Franklin, you'd probably accused me of the same thing

One of my really devo memories from the Swans past.
    Another is after our long cellar dweller slump, making the finals and listening to it on the radio and knowing we were going to lose.
    Another is Garry Lyons remarks when we beat Melbourne (again, when we were pretty much 100% winless) and he said "we played down to their level" when being interviewed after the game. Such sour grapes, and inaccurate as was seen in the coming years, but it really took the shine of an amazing feeling after that win.
    Was that the game at the MCG in 94? I was there & recall it being an electric finish to win game to break a long losing streak, even though we went on to win 3rd wooden spoon in succession. Dermie played his best game in short career with the club and kicked the sealer. He was very pumped after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Was that the game at the MCG in 94? I was there & recall it being an electric finish to win game to break a long losing streak, even though we went on to win 3rd wooden spoon in succession. Dermie played his best game in short career with the club and kicked the sealer. He was very pumped after the game.
    We were never going to win that game, until Brereton decided to pull his finger out in the last quarter. I've never been a Dermie fan, but in that last quarter he gave a final flicker of just how good a footballer he really was, and he turned the game around. When he took a screamer over top of Jim Stynes at the start of time-on you could sense the team suddenly believed they could win, and it was one-way traffic after that.

Was watching fox footy when in Melbourne the other weekend and saw the replay of the forgotten 1996 thriller between the Swans and the Bombers - the Draw from Rd 6. Bombers kicked 12.18, we kicked 14.6 and I think it was Hird missed a kick with about 40 seconds to go to get the win. Plugger kicked 8 I think it was for us. Such different footy back then - and the condition of the SCG - oh my!

Good stuff it was, a quality game forgotten due to the more famous clash later in the same season.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Just watched a game from 2009 against Tigers. Matt O'Dwyer played a very good game. Shame he didn't quite make it.

Those who subscribe to Fox Footy will know that this is the time of the year when they interrupt endless re-runs of "the best of Bounce" (surely a contradiction) with the odd replay of past matches, recent or ancient.

When fox footy first started (many years ago now) they had a show called 'Headliners' in which they covered all the big stories of times past.
    Some of the stories that I can remember were the Swans to Sydney, Peter Crimmins (Hawthorn) who battled cancer and missed one of their premierships and how the team took the cup to the hospital, and a story about Collingwood (can't remember exactly what it was) and how they changed their logo from the Magpie looking 'backward' to 'forward'.

One would think they still have all that footage (or at least channel 7 would). Would make a nice change for viewing in the off season.

Crimmo died 3 days after they presented the cup to him. It became known as Crimmo's Cup, the 1976 Premiership Cup.

Senior Player
    Just watched a game from 2009 against Tigers. Matt O'Dwyer played a very good game. Shame he didn't quite make it.
    Recorded and watched Round 1 1987 where we slaughtered Collingwood by over 90 points at Victoria park. We played brilliantly and had a lot of stars. Capper kicked 9. No home finals at all in those days. if so, would have made at least one GF in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    One I watched the other day was that game in 1994 when Plugger was still at St Kilda and destroyed us in the last quarter. I remember being so upset about it at the time as we seemed to have the game in hand at three quarter time. Looking at who was playing in that game it was the start of our rise. A young Kelly, Luff and Creswell were playing for example.

Something I like about watching those old games is seeing players who you had all but forgotten about running around again. For example, remember Wheeler - the African American guy wearing the pony tail? He was quite a talent. Another was McRae. He played some good solid football for us in those down times.

Watching that game again, and its hard to believe we lost. With less than 9 minutes to go, we were 7 goals up. With 1 min 55 to go we were 11 points in front and the ball was being thrown in next to the point post in our forward line. St Kilda kicked two goals in less than two minutes when they didn't have possession of the ball at the start of that 1min 55 sec time frame. Fair to say defence wasn't our strong suit, and yes Plugger kicked 8 or something like that but at one stage in the last quarter Kickett was his opponent. Derek didn't have a defensive instinct in him, of course Plugger was going to have a blinder. What was Barassi thinking.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast